6026 39 2022-8-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thefragile
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12635 ft
United States

Hi there,

I'm having the same exact issues as some other users here in the past couple of days. I understand it's probably an issue with a recent Android update and there's nothing we can do right now.

Are there other apps we can use? Is there any way I can keep using the drone until this is figured out?
2022-8-7
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

Would another option be to downgrade your device back to the version running when the app worked?

I’ve never been in this situation, but I have a suspicion that it’s possible whatever caused the DJI crash may also cause alternative apps to crash as well…. 3rd party apps use the same DJI SDK for control that the DJI Fly app uses, so if the problem affects the SDK, those other apps will also fail.
2022-8-7
Use props
thefragile
lvl.1
United States

TomKatt Posted at 8-7 11:35
Would another option be to downgrade your device back to the version running when the app worked?

I’ve never been in this situation, but I have a suspicion that it’s possible whatever caused the DJI crash may also cause alternative apps to crash as well…. 3rd party apps use the same DJI SDK for control that the DJI Fly app uses, so if the problem affects the SDK, those other apps will also fail.

I'm considering a backrev. It's the least desirable option.

**Edit: I misspoke, the Pixels are supported. This just seems like a bug.
2022-8-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi there, I am sorry for the issue. I had sent you a PM, could you please check it out and keep us updated on the result? Thank you.
2022-8-7
Use props
djiuser_xLUYJhNoVNHs
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2022530 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 8-7 17:23
Hi there, I am sorry for the issue. I had sent you a PM, could you please check it out and keep us updated on the result? Thank you.

Disgusting Corporate behaviour. Got a £600 drone I can't fly. When will this be fixed?!?!?
2022-8-7
Use props
djiuser_oxFB3sRI1Yyi
New
Switzerland

Same problem on Google Pixel 4. Tried an older version of the DJI Fly app but still not working. Very bad!
2022-8-8
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
United States

I can appreciate the frustration when things like this happen, but I wonder if Google shares part of the blame as well...   As the Fly app does work on other Android devices, it would seem that there is something specific to some models causing it to crash.  It is the manufacturers job to create the hardware level code that interfaces with the high level Android program - obviously devices like the Pixel series are interpeting that code in ways that other devices do not.

So unless DJI is using depreciated code that is getting by on some devices but should be updated on others (and they may be), DJI may be waiting on Google to resolve their issues first.  Alternatively, DJI may have tested the Pixel and found it satisfactory, but a later Pixel update breaks the DJI app...  In that case, DJI is forced to play catch-up.

Unfortunately, we just don't know.  And DJI's app comments are often quite vague.  While Android's open architechture allows for a nearly infinite combination of hardware (and thus price ranges), that also works against them from time to time when incompatibility pops up.  It's practically impossible for DJI to test and verify every Android device on the market.  This is one reason why Apple is so conservative when it comes to locking down their hardware - for all the negatives, it does provide a known stable foundation across all devices.

Edit - example...  Just look at all the other compatibility issues that have been reported on the Pixel...
Google Pixel 6 and 6 Pro problems and how to fix them - Android Authority
...People have faced plenty of problems with their new Pixels with many complaints of various bugs and other issues.

2022-8-8
Use props
thefragile
lvl.1
United States

TomKatt Posted at 8-8 03:28
I can appreciate the frustration when things like this happen, but I wonder if Google shares part of the blame as well...   As the Fly app does work on other Android devices, it would seem that there is something specific to some models causing it to crash.  It is the manufacturers job to create the hardware level code that interfaces with the high level Android program - obviously devices like the Pixel series are interpeting that code in ways that other devices do not.

So unless DJI is using depreciated code that is getting by on some devices but should be updated on others (and they may be), DJI may be waiting on Google to resolve their issues first.

100%. People are going totally Karen on DJI and it's cringey. I have personally experienced difficulty with Pixels running software or mods where other smartphones work fine.
2022-8-8
Use props
Robbb
New

Germany

Same issue on a Pixel 6, I also think the latest Security Update from July is the reason.

I really disagree in regards to Google sharing part of the blame (even if we might not know for sure). Recently those crashes were occuring regularly with new Android updates which makes it highly suspicious in regards to DJI. Google does not just randomly publish new Android versions but gives developers the opportunity to test their applications in advance. And btw the Pixel series is not interpreting code in different ways then e.g. Samsung, it is the other way round. Google is running the vanilla version of Android, other manufactures do adapt Android for their custom experience (meaning also they are often behind in their updates).

Whatever the reason is it is just really weak on DJIs side that they have to react on user feedback because the app is crashing on startup. I mean it is not even an rare edge case, its right from starting the app. And we are not talking about "every" device on the market. You just run nightly builds or whatever on the most common 20 devices on the market and they should have caught that crash easily.

DJIs development process in the Android departement seems to be lacking for quite a while now, so people should give them ... for it. Maybe it will change something in the long run. In the end DJI is not a little startup anymore, they should have the budget and expertise to prevent stuff like this.
2022-8-8
Use props
djiuser_158SuILnIQtV
lvl.1

Canada

There is a reason the DJI app is not in the app store anymore. Its probably so ... it can't meet any of their update criterias,

Really unacceptable. I'm running my drone on a broken screen phone.
2022-8-8
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
United States

Robbb Posted at 8-8 04:10
Same issue on a Pixel 6, I also think the latest Security Update from July is the reason.

I really disagree in regards to Google sharing part of the blame (even if we might not know for sure). Recently those crashes were occuring regularly with new Android updates which makes it highly suspicious in regards to DJI. Google does not just randomly publish new Android versions but gives developers the opportunity to test their applications in advance. And btw the Pixel series is not interpreting code in different ways then e.g. Samsung, it is the other way round. Google is running the vanilla version of Android, other manufactures do adapt Android for their custom experience (meaning also they are often behind in their updates).

You make several very good points, and there is no doubt that DJI has the resources to do a better job on the app development.   But do not underestimate the volume of work it takes to constantly retest their app on even 20 devices - especially in cases where the app worked on the device when the app was released (though I'm sure there are cases where some devices fail out of the gate because that device was not verified).

My point was that each manufacturer is responsible for providing the Android HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer), which is the code interface to the specific hardware used within each device - this is a layer below the base Android OS, and is often responsible for app crashes.  Though manufacturers do tend to include their own custom spin on the Android OS (ie Samsung), more often than not that customization is not the cause of app crashes.  So, even though the Pixel series may be running "vanilla" Android, that doesn't mean that Google is off the hook when things go wrong.
2022-8-8
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_158SuILnIQtV Posted at 8-8 04:57
There is a reason the DJI app is not in the app store anymore. Its probably so ... it can't meet any of their update criterias,

Really unacceptable. I'm running my drone on a broken screen phone.

DJI is keeping the exact reasons why they have been shunned from the official Google Play Store, but internet supposition seems to suggest it has more to do with Google requiring apps be distributed in the newer Bundle format (AAB) rather than the more standard APK format.  Google's new requirements seem to put heavy restrictions on updates distributed outside of the Play Store, and the DJI app still "phones home" to DJI looking for updates.   There may be some personal data restrictions as well.

Still - I'm with you on this...  Asking the average consumer to side-load the Fly app causes a lot of grief and opens them to potential security risks,

https://dronedj.com/2021/01/27/l ... not-the-play-store/
2022-8-8
Use props
LucentStraw
lvl.1
United States

Hi All

I am a fairly new user of the drone and app. I have a Pixel 6 Pro which used to have the DJI Fly app that worked fine up till I decided to fly yesterday and the app would not work. I have been reading a lot on this and seems like a lot of people are having the same issue. Long story short, is there a fix for this as of today?

Thank you
2022-8-8
Use props
antonarhipov
lvl.1

Estonia

>  I have a Pixel 6 Pro which used to have the DJI Fly app that worked fine up till I decided to fly yesterday and the app would not work.

I faced the same issue today. Didn't do any updates - it just suddenly started crashing. Re-installing won't help
2022-8-8
Use props
djiuser_q0KSlUVLdt9Z
New
Flight distance : 11329 ft
United Kingdom

Has anyone managed to get tech support to admit there is a wide spread problem. They appear to still be trying to trouble shoot me even know I have referred to the "widespread issue"
2022-8-8
Use props
thefragile
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_q0KSlUVLdt9Z Posted at 8-8 10:09
Has anyone managed to get tech support to admit there is a wide spread problem. They appear to still be trying to trouble shoot me even know I have referred to the "widespread issue"

It appears a fix is on the way. DJI devs reached out and sent a patched version last night, I confirmed with them that it booted properly.
2022-8-8
Use props
djiuser_XuvtaYW2ovkP
New

Poland

Hi,
I'd like to report the same issue for applications:
DJI Mimo
Dji Store

DJI Mimo didn't work stable before because it constantly was loosing Bluetoth connection and after several seconds conection was automatically restoring... but works.
Today I found it crashing just after start so I have no change to use it.
It is frustrating as in a few days I must do important recording... :-(

Pixel 6
Android 12 (I updated system today to the most current Pixel official Android version)

thx
Duo
2022-8-8
Use props
bpicard
lvl.1
United States

thefragile Posted at 8-8 10:51
It appears a fix is on the way. DJI devs reached out and sent a patched version last night, I confirmed with them that it booted properly.

Can I get a copy lol?
Mine started crashing today. Dead in the water and mine is work related.
2022-8-8
Use props
droningmom67
New

United States

I was able to fly my drone today with the Litchi app but I would prefer to use the DJIFly app
2022-8-8
Use props
djiuser_vZHRYELkP2zD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19747 ft
United Kingdom

Same problem here - was alll working fine with my pixel 6 last week, then I  fired the app up after a week of not using it and now it just crashes immediately on startup, nothing has changed on the phone, it had the july 5th android update installed when it was working fine, but now the app just crashes.

I have logged a ticket with support, but they're just going through the motions of trying to get crash logs off the phone - but there are no crash logs because the app has not started fully.
I have tried older versions of the app,but they all do the same.

DJI - this is not good - please fix ASAP

2022-8-8
Use props
LucentStraw
lvl.1
United States

This is an update. I got in touch with them on Twitter and they were able to fix my problem. DJI Fly app is working on Pixel 6 Pro now. I am not sure if they are planning to send out an update, but I would start there.
2022-8-9
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
United States

LucentStraw Posted at 8-9 08:34
This is an update. I got in touch with them on Twitter and they were able to fix my problem. DJI Fly app is working on Pixel 6 Pro now. I am not sure if they are planning to send out an update, but I would start there.

Did they provide you a patch or updated app download ?

DJI should really provide that for everyone having trouble here...  For that matter, things like this ought to have a "sticky" thread where DJI updates information and progress, rather than leaving everyone in the dark.
2022-8-9
Use props
thefragile
lvl.1
United States

TomKatt Posted at 8-9 09:00

DJI should really provide that for everyone having trouble here...  For that matter, things like this ought to have a "sticky" thread where DJI updates information and progress, rather than leaving everyone in the dark.

A sticky/announcement thread for in-process bugs would certainly be helpful.
2022-8-9
Use props
fansf592a41e
New

Australia

Made sure my pixel 6 was on the list of devices on djis website and went into the dji store to get my Mavic 3 fly more just to get home and not be able to install the app. Lucky I have not opened it so I can try return it. I'm not going to have a brand new drone just sit there because of an app issue. Really dissapointing.
2022-8-10
Use props
djiuser_WooDskYV3EEF
lvl.1
United States

Same Issue. Pixel 6 with Air2s and the app keeps crashing. I tried to uninstall it then redownload from the DJI site and reinstall but after it says installed I'll try to open the app and it instantly crashes...
2022-8-10
Use props
PenguinPenguin
New

United States

This exact problem is also happening on my Pixel 6a.
2022-8-10
Use props
LucentStraw
lvl.1
United States

TomKatt Posted at 8-9 09:00

It was an update. The version is 1.6.12. It took them a day to respond to my tweet though
2022-8-10
Use props
djiuser_8rWtDi0izehE
New

Portugal

Since this isn't the first time it happened it's really disappointing. Almost feels like they set the accepted Android versions manually and have to set each time there is a security update the accepted version higher. Really hope the update will soon be available for all of us...I'm just on vacation and actually planned to fly my drone tomorrow. This is really annoying...
2022-8-11
Use props
djiuser_2XQT7bxE7T3Q
New

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 8-7 17:23

Hi. I am having same issue with pixel 6 pro. App is keep closing.
2022-8-11
Use props
tokyoandroid
lvl.1
Norway

DJI is involved with spying for CCP, which is why they've been blacklisted by department of defense

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dronedj.com/2022/10/07/dji-dod-drone/

Stop buying Chinese spy technology. I'm selling my mavic 2 pro.  

2022-10-16
Use props
Geez
lvl.1

Australia

Is there a fix for the Pixel 6 Pro yet, now Jan 2023 I am still having the same issues, it just crashes as soon as it opens and been waiting for months now, I have been having to use DroneControl App which is inferior to the DJI version but at least it works, there is also the Litchi app but they want $40 for that and I really just want the DJI version?? I am only flying a mini but would love to upgrade to a mini 3 but won't if the app is still an issue.
2023-1-30
Use props
Geez
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2022-8-7 17:23
Hi there, I am sorry for the issue. I had sent you a PM, could you please check it out and keep us updated on the result? Thank you.

Can you send me a PM with the fix as well please or email or text it to me??
Why isn't it just in the general app updates if it is a simple fix. I nearly lost the drone yesterday are having to use a third party app. I added a note #31 I think but know one has responded??
2023-2-2
Use props
Geez
lvl.1

Australia

Geez Posted at 2-2 15:36
Can you send me a PM with the fix as well please or email or text it to me??
Why isn't it just in the general app updates if it is a simple fix. I nearly lost the drone yesterday are having to use a third party app. I added a note #31 I think but know one has responded??

Hi, There are no messages from anyone in this inbox, or in my email inbox, spam, junk or trash from DJI. Please just email it to me if there are issues  andi.stevens@gmail.com
2023-2-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Geez Posted at 2-2 18:07
Hi, There are no messages from anyone in this inbox, or in my email inbox, spam, junk or trash from DJI. Please just email it to me if there are issues

Hi there, sorry for the issue you encountered, may we know the current DJI Fly app you have on your phone?
Please try to redownload the latest DJI Fly app from https://www.dji.com/uk/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly and check again. Please let us know if the issue persists, thank you.
2023-2-2
Use props
ECThompson
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13763 ft
United States

For what it's worth, it's always worked for me on a P6Pro since I bought the drone in late December.
2023-2-5
Use props
Geez
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2-2 19:58
Hi there, sorry for the issue you encountered, may we know the current DJI Fly app you have on your phone?
Please try to redownload the latest DJI Fly app from https://www.dji.com/uk/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly and check again. Please let us know if the issue persists, thank you.

1.6.1 DJI Fly on Pixel 6 Pro
2023-2-5
Use props
Geez
lvl.1

Australia

ECThompson Posted at 2-5 10:18
For what it's worth, it's always worked for me on a P6Pro since I bought the drone in late December.

Don't update your phone then!
2023-2-5
Use props
Geez
lvl.1

Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2-2 19:58
Hi there, sorry for the issue you encountered, may we know the current DJI Fly app you have on your phone?

Thanks it works again now and is so much better than the 3rd party software.
2023-2-5
Use props
Yaros1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 19981112 ft
Spain

I have DJI Fly 1.9.1 and it works on Pixel 6, newest software and firmware (Android 13).
2023-2-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Geez Posted at 2-5 23:40
Thanks it works again now and is so much better than the 3rd party software.

Thank you for your update and confirmation. Happy and safe flying.
2023-2-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules