12Next >
6562 67 2022-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FreddyMartuc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11565200 ft
Italy

Dear Colleagues, a few months ago I asked about the possibility of disabling the landing protection on the mavic 3 as it is impossible to work
in  the open sea with take off and landing on a boat in rough seas. The  problem is that the mavic does not land if the underlying surface is not  stable,
and in the sea with the waves the boats ever drift and rolling. Kindly "DJI Thor" reported the problem to the DJI team
but no updates have been seen yet.

Someone has news about it?

2022-8-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It most likely won’t land because the ground beneath is continually moving. Trying to land on a boat unless you have a lot of space to land is always going to be problematic and without landing protection you are most likely going to crash land. Really hand catching is the only way and this can be done easily enough particularly if you have some help. It can also be done with some practice with landing protection on, but it would be better off.
2022-8-13
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there FreddyMartuc. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for giving out these information.  Just a reminder that when flying above the water, the vision positioning function will turn off automatically and only the GPS and barometer are used for positioning, if affected by the accuracy range, and an accident might happen. In addition I will also post a DJI Forum thread on How to Fly Safely Over Water. Thank you.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=181878
2022-8-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 8-13 09:20
It most likely won’t land because the ground beneath is continually moving. Trying to land on a boat unless you have a lot of space to land is always going to be problematic and without landing protection you are most likely going to crash land. Really hand catching is the only way and this can be done easily enough particularly if you have some help. It can also be done with some practice with landing protection on, but it would be better off.

Kindly "DJI Thor" reported the problem to the DJI team but no updates have been seen yet.
You can ignore their meaningless polite messages about forwarding to the appropriate team.
That just means your request will be completely ignored.
2022-8-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Stephen Posted at 8-13 19:24
Hello there FreddyMartuc. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for giving out these information.  Just a reminder that when flying above the water, the vision positioning function will turn off automatically and only the GPS and barometer are used for positioning, if affected by the accuracy range, and an accident might happen. In addition I will also post a DJI Forum thread on How to Fly Safely Over Water. Thank you.

Just a reminder that when flying above the water, the vision positioning function will turn off automatically
That's just wrong.
You post the same nonsense any time  anyone mentions flying over water and it's always wrong.
The problem is that the downward facing sensors cannot be turned off.

Why are DJI moderators such an unreliable source for correct information?
2022-8-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

When flying over the water... you are on your own to land or maneuver. The drone can't positively read the height over the water. Revert to manual control. The software is to protect your drone. I do not know of any way to disable it except by holding down the down stick until it relents and lands. So far that has worked. Pray for me ;-)
2022-8-13
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-13 19:45
Just a reminder that when flying above the water, the vision positioning function will turn off automatically
That's just wrong.
You post the same nonsense any time  anyone mentions flying over water and it's always wrong.

Come on. You know that is true ;--)
2022-8-13
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Two things the drone needs to have to safely work from a boat; 1, Landing protection off. 2, ATTI mode. The Mavic 3 is capable of both of these, given the enterprise drones all allow ATTI mode to be assigned to the Cine Mode switch.

...But DJI wants to keep us all flying like amateurs who don't deserve advanced controls.
2022-8-14
Use props
FreddyMartuc
lvl.2
Italy

Hello Stephen, thanks for reply.
In the dji fly app on  DJI RC PRO do not exist the Hi Stefano, thanks for the reply.
In the dji fly app on DJI RC PRO there is no disable option for the obstacle sensor or vision positioning system, you can set the "bypass / brake / off" options in the obstacle avoidance mode. Landing protection is always active. The link is for the old (and very good ...) DJI GO 4 app. A DJI fly app update is required!
2022-8-15
Use props
FreddyMartuc
lvl.2
Italy

Hi Dji Stephen, thanks for the reply.
In the dji fly app on DJI RC PRO there is no disable option for the obstacle sensor or vision positioning system, you can set the "bypass / brake / off" options in the obstacle avoidance mode only.  Landing protection is always active. The link tutorial is for the old (and very good ...) DJI GO 4 app. An  update is required for DJI fly app!!
2022-8-15
Use props
JJungPhoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 946362 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello there FreddyMartuc. I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and thank you for giving out these information.  Just a reminder that when flying above the water, the vision positioning function will turn off automatically and only the GPS and barometer are used for positioning, if affected by the accuracy range, and an accident might happen. In addition I will also post a DJI Forum thread on How to Fly Safely Over Water. Thank you.

Not really addressing the issue here Stephen...

Really it's a simple fix that all past generations of Mavics and Phantom drones have had. Being able to disable downward sensors is the #1 priority for us working on any type of boat and needing to land with a hand grab.

The worst situation which everyone is running into is you're on a boat in the ocean with even a slight bit of swell and other forces moving you, you cant align with the drone very well for a hand catch or even other types of landings because the drone is thinking its smarter than the user here which runs you into some pretty bad problems and even more dangerous to the end user trying to catch it.

Please allow us the ability to turn off ALL sensors while you're at it.. But to start downward would be very welcoming.
2022-8-15
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

JJungPhoto Posted at 8-15 15:26
Not really addressing the issue here Stephen...

Really it's a simple fix that all past generations of Mavics and Phantom drones have had. Being able to disable downward sensors is the #1 priority for us working on any type of boat and needing to land with a hand grab.

That's interesting. However if you disable all sensors, the drone will revert to GPS only which would be much worse and less accurate. It's a difficult problem to solve and I do not think it is easily fixed in the amateur drone design. I just try to anticipate the errors and deal with it in real time. No bad landing yet on my boat or hand.....knock on wood. But I am getting old and the loss is eventual...me and drone ;-)
2022-8-15
Use props
toddtt
lvl.1
United States

Did the ability to disable landing protection ever become available?  If not, it REALLY needs to.  
2022-8-30
Use props
FreddyMartuc
lvl.2
Italy

So far no response from the technical team.
A firmware update would be enough by inserting a "Landing protection" flag (on-off) in the safety menu that resets at each take-off.
Evidently DJI is focusing only on the sales strategy of the new models.
it means that to work on the sea I will have to look for another brand of drone.
It's a shame as mavic cine could be the absolute drone.
This year I have flown to many Italian locations hundreds of times and miles for "Eurovision Song Contest Postcard",
and I have tested the "3 Cine" very well in all conditions.
Working in the open sea from boats remains the only serious problem to fly safely, and that's no small feat!

2022-8-30
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It is one of the stupidest settings on any drone. It makes landing, in some scenarios, more dangerous and more likely to cause a crash.
2022-8-30
Use props
JJungPhoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 946362 ft
  • >>>
United States

CloudVisual Posted at 8-30 11:04
It is one of the stupidest settings on any drone. It makes landing, in some scenarios, more dangerous and more likely to cause a crash.

Exactly! Come on DJI, why no response?
2022-8-30
Use props
FreddyMartuc
lvl.2
Italy

CloudVisual Posted at 8-30 11:04
It is one of the stupidest settings on any drone. It makes landing, in some scenarios, more dangerous and more likely to cause a crash.

You've obviously never worked with drones on small boats with waves and gusts of wind. It is a necessary setting only in this situation.
2022-8-31
Use props
CloudVisual
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FreddyMartuc Posted at 8-31 07:33
You've obviously never worked with drones on small boats with waves and gusts of wind. It is a necessary setting only in this situation.

You've obviously misread my post.
2022-8-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

FreddyMartuc Posted at 8-31 07:33
You've obviously never worked with drones on small boats with waves and gusts of wind. It is a necessary setting only in this situation.

You can still hand-catch the drone, but make sure its in brake mode and either sneak up on it or open hand palm and left stick down.
If as you say the boat is moving then landing on the boat will be also a problem it will certainly crash land and worse is also possible. So hand catching with sensors on or off is still possible.
2022-8-31
Use props
FreddyMartuc
lvl.2
Italy

You can't theorize about capturing a drone from a boat if you've never done so. To explain better, the old Phantom without any landing protection from boats is fine!
I've used it dozens of times
2022-9-1
Use props
toddtt
lvl.1
United States

DJI PLEASE respond here.  Not having the ability to disable landing protection makes the Mavic 3 much less safe and less capable!  Many of us operate from boats often.  This missing feature makes this dangerous.   
2022-9-9
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

error entry
2022-9-9
Use props
FreddyMartuc
lvl.2
Italy

toddtt Posted at 9-9 01:47
DJI PLEASE respond here.  Not having the ability to disable landing protection makes the Mavic 3 much less safe and less capable!  Many of us operate from boats often.  This missing feature makes this dangerous.

Dear DJI, when it comes to appreciating the quality of your drones, I'm the first to say it but the colleague's post confirms that flying from boats is a real problem, try it too!! If you are a serious and reliable company I expect a quick fix with the addition of the option to disable landing protection. Ignoring this request would be a serious mistake, it is to have more safety at work.
2022-9-9
Use props
roarpost
lvl.1
Flight distance : 325207 ft
  • >>>
United States

I also film from moving vessels and this sucks. One way around it is cover the sensors and TOF sensor with black Gad tape. That how you can catch it. DJI still has to fix this. Us professionals spend $5k on cine to shoot not to play. This is dangerous DJI.
2022-9-16
Use props
roarpost
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I also film from moving vessels and this sucks. One way around it is cover the sensors and TOF sensor with black Gad tape. That how you can catch it. DJI still has to fix this. Us professionals spend $5k on cine to shoot not to play. This is dangerous DJI.
2022-9-16
Use props
DRAGenDROP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26170253 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It most likely won’t land because the ground beneath is continually moving. Trying to land on a boat unless you have a lot of space to land is always going to be problematic and without landing protection you are most likely going to crash land. Really hand catching is the only way and this can be done easily enough particularly if you have some help. It can also be done with some practice with landing protection on, but it would be better off.

and again a bull... reaction , the magic 2 can do it on a boat, so what non info you have to tell again!
2022-9-17
Use props
DRAGenDROP
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 8-31 09:14
You can still hand-catch the drone, but make sure its in brake mode and either sneak up on it or open hand palm and left stick down.
If as you say the boat is moving then landing on the boat will be also a problem it will certainly crash land and worse is also possible. So hand catching with sensors on or off is still possible.

and again non info from mister Hallmark.
Is there a way to digital kill this dog?
2022-9-17
Use props
DRAGenDROP
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

You can still hand-catch the drone, but make sure its in brake mode and either sneak up on it or open hand palm and left stick down.
If as you say the boat is moving then landing on the boat will be also a problem it will certainly crash land and worse is also possible. So hand catching with sensors on or off is still possible.

It did already work with the Mavic 2, so please shut up and leave the pro's with your empty answers!
2022-9-17
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

FreddyMartuc Posted at 8-30 06:16
A firmware update would be enough by inserting a "Landing protection" flag (on-off) in the safety menu that resets at each take-off.
Evidently DJI is focusing only on the sales strategy of the new models.

And there never will be.
If you expect any technical people to ever read what you post here, you are only going to be disappointed.

2022-9-17
Use props
DRAGenDROP
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Oh look people, he speaks again with non info and unusable answers.
Did you read what he was telling?!!!, no!, thats the plate in front of your head!
2022-9-25
Use props
roarpost
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

DJI Please listen to the pros. I just got back from a shoot where I was specifically hired to filming four cruise ships navigating side by side. I only used the Cine at dusk and both times I had to purposely crash land. Each time replacing props. Even with Gaff tape it was almost impossible to catch or land from the moving vessel. I have accomplished this task in the past with Magic 2pro, phantom 4 pro, inspire 1 & 2.
DJI PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP. Let us turn off the sensors as we have done in the past. It’s the only way around this.
2022-10-13
Use props
FreddyMartuc
lvl.2
Italy

roarpost Posted at 10-13 01:13
DJI Please listen to the pros. I just got back from a shoot where I was specifically hired to filming four cruise ships navigating side by side. I only used the Cine at dusk and both times I had to purposely crash land. Each time replacing props. Even with Gaff tape it was almost impossible to catch or land from the moving vessel. I have accomplished this task in the past with Magic 2pro, phantom 4 pro, inspire 1 & 2.
DJI PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP. Let us turn off the sensors as we have done in the past. It’s the only way around this.
I agree t9tally with you! Today i have blinded the sensor and lowest positiioning cameras with gaffer tape to land in safety on a caicco boat!!!  It is unacceptable that a professional cinema drone cannot be set up to work at sea !!!
2022-10-13
Use props
DRAGenDROP
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

2022-10-27
Use props
DRAGenDROP
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

You can still hand-catch the drone, but make sure its in brake mode and either sneak up on it or open hand palm and left stick down.
If as you say the boat is moving then landing on the boat will be also a problem it will certainly crash land and worse is also possible. So hand catching with sensors on or off is still possible.

2022-10-27
Use props
DRAGenDROP
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

2022-10-27
Use props
emailgiatrakos.gr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7349813 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Unfortunately, not all ships can be stopped for take-off and landing. DJI should let us work!!! All professionals need ATTi mode and disabling all sensors in many cases. We were working fine with the old Drones like the Phantom and we can't work with the MAVIC 3 CINE ??? Unacceptable!!!!

We are trying to photograph large ships like Ferry Boat and we are inside the ship with the camera crew while they are traveling and the drone does not start flying and if it flies (before catching satellites) on landing it becomes murderous with the lower sensors, it goes crazy.

All this would be very safe if there was Atti and disabling the sensors like we did with the old DJI GO 4 app.

PLEASE UPDATE AND FIX THIS DANGEROUS ISSUE FOR THE PRO PILOTS!!! The Mavic 3 need to have Atti and disable land sensors it's a very important !

The Ferry Photos was with old Phantom 4 PRO (Atti) on board from a moving ship.
Now We Cannot Work with Mavic 3 Cine !!!!!!!!!!!

2022-12-8
Use props
FreddyMartuc
lvl.2
Italy

Hello Chris, great photos!! Dji continues to ignore the needs of those who work with their drones. DJI's policy is only one of profit. I am very disappointed, no news or a shred of update on this issue, thank you DJI,
you are very kind!!!. Will try other non DJI drones from moving boats. With these others you can fly into acts and disable the landing sensors. At least I will be able to take off and land by boat without damage.
2023-1-27
Use props
Chris Giatrakos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7349813 ft
  • >>>
Greece

Unfortunately DJI THEY DID NOT ANSWER!!!, Doesn't want to fix it and let's do our job safely !!!

We don't have buy "Cine" Drones to fly in our village... we need to fly like a "Cine"matographers and we need to fly with safety from every surface. We want it to work and as much as possible "manually" when the operator needs it.

I don't see any logic to not let us turning off the landing sensors because the issue of dangerousness does not depend on whether you are flying e.g. through a boat at sea while at the same time allowing us to close the front sensors which is even more dangerous due to impact at speed!!

Also atti does not mean that the machine does not read satellites, it simply does not keep position and altitude using GPS and landing sensors, of course with the opposite effect of becoming very dangerous when the take-off-landing surface moves in its attempt to read the surface... it is Tragic and very dangerous for the pilots!!!

Supposedly there are also the pilots that DJI asks them to take responsibility in several more dangerous cases, such as e.g. 400ft, NFZ etc, etc. He could have said the same in this case and let us safely do our job with Mavic 3 !

sos sos sos
We must be able to take off from a moving surface such as a ferry boat or sail boat !!!!!!!
We need Atti MODE... and to have the ability to "disable" the landing sensors

2023-3-8
Use props
fans768032a3
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5867631 ft
France

I am also a yacht photographer and landing protection is very dangerous on a boat. Phantom 4 pro 2 is still the best for yacht but now it is an old technology and the video quality is bad compare to the Mavic 3 ciné.Where are talking here about safety dji!!!
Landing protection is a night mare.Big yacht often don t stop during cruising .hand catch  is dangerous because the drone goes up when you want to catch it + waves. The only way I found is to add an handle under the Mavic but the drone goes full throttle when you catch it.

Soo please DJI we don’t want landing protection it is dangerous in some situations !!!!!!!!
2023-3-22
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

When flying from a boat......perhaps tape over the sensor?
2023-3-23
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules