GPS for Phantom 3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Barnard
New

United States

I'm planning to buy either an iPad Air 2 or an iPad Mini 3 to use with the Phantom 3. I believe that cellular capability is required to use GPS.

My question is whether a service contract with a cellular provider is necessary for GPS functionality.

Also, how important is GPS?

2015-8-6
Use props
427racing
lvl.1

United States

I just got a IPad Air 2 for my Phantom 3 pro as I like the big display area. Been flying with it for a week and really like it. NO cellular hookup but has wifi. BTW bought a referbushed one for 300 and it's like brand new.
2015-8-6
Use props
sploodge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 809350 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No, you don't need a contract to use the GPS function in a cellular iPad..

As for the use for GPS.. You can set the homepoint to be the location of the iPad during flight say is you moved away from the Phantom's homepoint..
2015-8-6
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1361040 ft
United States

Unless apple did something really odd you should be able to use GPS without a cellular contract.  From what I can see, GPS on the tablet is not a critical component, but it will limit you a little.  You won't be able to use "Set my location as the home location", and possibly the follow me won't work either, but it will depend on how it is implemented when released.  I really wish we could pick a spot on the map and make that the home point as that would at least help.  
2015-8-6
Use props
caiken9621
lvl.2
Flight distance : 499793 ft
United States

kleake1@gmail.c Posted at 2015-8-6 21:56
Unless apple did something really odd you should be able to use GPS without a cellular contract.  Fr ...

WIFI only iPad tablets have GPS
2015-8-6
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
United States

caiken9621 Posted at 2015-8-6 23:40
WIFI only iPad tablets have GPS

You might research again, the GPS is on the cellular module so it is not included if you don't have the cellular module.  I am pretty upset as I did not know that when I bought mine.  Got a great deal as it was on sale and the cellular version was not so it would have cost me over $200 more so i'm just planning to use an old bluetooth GPS for when I want to use the features that require it.  Maybe I can bluetooth my phone GPS, but I haven't tried that yet.
2015-8-6
Use props
venomx15301
lvl.3

United States

Last time I was out I had cellular off since I got the 1gb data plan and my mini 3 told me that GPD was not available without the data connection.
Not sure why..
2015-8-6
Use props
aeriallens
lvl.3

United States

To answer your questions...

No, you do not need GPS functionality on your device; the GPS functionality and antenna is mounted on your P3. Your device only needs the App and to be connected to your controller.

The iPad does not technically need cellular connection for GPS reception*. A GPS antenna and receiver is separate, and has nothing to do with mobile device services, or even WiFi (except to download and cache the map layer before flying).

*HOWEVER,  Apple chose not to include a GPS in their wifi only models so far. The GPS system in most (all?) mobile-enabled iPads and iPhones relies upon the cellular connection to unlock that functionality.  Though not entirely fair, that is somewhat understandable due to the fact most folks like to see a map with their coordinates, and the map must be downloaded via realtime data or WiFi (i.e., the GPS satellites do not transmit a map image, just coordinates).  
2015-8-6
Use props
colin.buckle
lvl.2
Australia

I don't have cellular on my iPad. I just hotspot to my phone before I fly and make sure the option to cache maps is turned on.
Once the maps are there, I just turn the hotspot off and Bob's your uncle.
2015-8-6
Use props
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14495 ft
Denmark

As "colin.buckle" said . share your wifi from your mobile. when the map is on your ipad the set your ipad in airplane mode to make sure that you have no data interference when flying.
This is at least my workflow

cheers´
2015-8-6
Use props
kleake1
lvl.3
United States

Guys, in iPads and many true laptops the GPS chip is on the cellular card, which make sense that if you have a wi-fi only ipad that the GPS is not included, although I sure do wish they would do it otherwise.  You DO NOT need the cell service activated to use the GPS, you just need to have the cell card in the device.  Many times I want to know where I am and have a cached map, or other location service that I want to use that does not require wi-fi service.  The problem is Apple wouldn't get the $100 upgrades nearly as often if they included GPS on the wi-fi only version, so I'm sure that plays a part.

Now you can tether to your phone to get the maps and that works great, however there is still a function that you CANNOT use without GPS.   You CANNOT set your home location to where you are standing.  For example, I fly from my boat to film the kids skiing.  When the battery gets low we stop and my home location has moved.  So I then set my position as the home and the quad will fly back to me.  Not a major issue, however what about when the "follow me" function is released?  Without GPS, how is it going to be able to follow you?  While some of you won't be using those features, MANY of you will.  Just something to think about.

The only other solution on a wi-fi only ipad is to use a bluetooth GPS device.  This will work, but is another device to charge and keep with you.  
2015-8-7
Use props
caiken9621
lvl.2
Flight distance : 499793 ft
United States

kleake1@gmail.c Posted at 2015-8-7 00:03
You might research again, the GPS is on the cellular module so it is not included if you don't hav ...

I did go back and research this.  Older models had GPS and it seems that with models beginning with iPad air and iPad mini 2 they quit putting the gps in.  My iPad with retina display (wifi only) has gps and I do have the iPad mini 3 with cellular for use with the P3A.  It never dawned on me that they would pull the gps on wifi only models.
2015-8-8
Use props
Philbo
New

Australia

I just joined to post that there seems to be some misinformation and some
unsubstantiated info in this thread. If someone happens upon it like I did, some
stuff needs to be corrected.
It is common knowledge that,
a) iPads never had a GPS in them but always do if they are also mobile phones.
b) "any old" bluetooth gps will not work with a wifi-only iPad (or iPod).
Apple bless their greedy hearts, license the ability to connect a gps via Bluetooth.
Yes, speakers and keyboards will connect but GPS devices need to be licensed.
I know that for a fact as I have one. It cost more than a Chinese GPS device &
maybe because I am also paying for the ability to connect with an Apple device.
(I was right into maps at one stage so I properly researched this feature).
One last thing that bears commenting on; Android devices seem to be a bit
hit-and-miss from the many posts I have read. From no trouble with the DJI Go
app to some little issues, to unsurmountable issues. I am neither an Apple fan boy
nor a Google die-hard. Whatever suits is my motto.
I do wish I had bought a powerful Android tablet instead of this iPad Mini 2 as I do
want to use the Litchi app to its fullest and this little GPS device is another item I
could easily accidently leave somewhere. (I left it on the shed awning this arv so
yeah, easy to forget. Plus I have to have it fully charged as someone else here
mentioned.
Happy flying!

2016-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules