12Next >
3644 45 2022-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hello,
I have been looking at a number of YouTube videos on the CAA drone classification. I understand that drones bopught after the end odf the year will be marked either A0, A1, A2 or A3 category, with flight restrictions being related to the category. All drones purchased before will be considered 'Legacy Drones', which I understand after 2022 will be considred A3!!

I have a Mavic 2 Zoom that I fly regularly for 3 years in Aldershot Park which is  an allowed drone flying area. Under the new category A3 it will need to be flown at least 150 metres from a person (used to be 50m) and the rules state not in a park. Does that mean I not longer can fly it in my usual area?

The irony of these new regulations is if on January 2023 I purchase a Mavic 3 (dont believe Mavic 2 Zoom is available) with the same weight and dimensions, but with the A2 marking, it can fly at much less distance from persons and in parks and on beaches. This difference in regulations does not appear to be due to safety, but seems to be designed for existing drone flyer to either buy new drones or leave the hobby. What sense is this?

I hope my understanding is wrong. If so, please can you let me know as I do not want to throw my drone in the rubbish or sell it at an astorinately low price and get out of the sport. Can I just stick an A2 label on it as its actually the same level of risk as the newer Mavic models.

If there is an entusiast from the CAA I would like his comments on this if possible.

Many Thanks
2022-8-16
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1397238 ft
Poland

yes it is, you are right but regulation are postponed in UE to 2024, fyi
2022-8-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fateofangel Posted at 8-16 07:37

No the rules have not been post pined yet in the U.K.  Only in EU.  We are hoping the CAA will do the same.
2022-8-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As we are in the U.K. and in transition the Mavic 2 pro is already in the a3 category unless you take the A2CofC.
Also the Mavic 2 weighs over 900grams unlike the Mavic 3 which is less than 900g and has no accessories that push it over 900g sold here whereas navic 2 sold items like prop guards pushing the MTOM up further.  

2022-8-16
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Poland

they should certify  some prevoius models before that date or postpone, if not even newly sold drones will be blacklisted
2022-8-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fateofangel Posted at 8-16 09:22
they should certify  some prevoius models before that date or postpone, if not even newly sold drones will be blacklisted

There’s currently no retrospective classification.  Rumours but nothing solid.  
2022-8-16
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Poland

DAFlys Posted at 8-16 09:53
There’s currently no retrospective classification.  Rumours but nothing solid.

every single certificate is a cost for DJI..
2022-8-16
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I wonder if they really have evidence of accidents or fatalities to increase the distance from 50m to 1500m, and exclude recreation areas, parks and beaches. To get the A2 CofC costs money and as I heard only last to the end of the year so again money (and probably not safety) is involved.
2022-8-16
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

The regulations are actually a bit strange as it pushes new drone hobbyists to the DJI Mini, where even the fly training is not mandatory required. There is also virtually 'open season' at the moment, where the Mini can be flown. This is good. However, the expansive Mini market, with it now being available in many national electrical stores, and no required training, will I feel, increase incidents of foolish flying, and public objection to drone flights that the authorities will use to further beat the drone hobbyist community.
2022-8-16
Use props
M3P-ch
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5547667 ft
United Kingdom

Unless you've taken the A2CofC qualification then what you're doing right now isn't allowed and hasn't been since the end of 2020. The rules changed then which pushed your Mavic 2 Zoom into the category where you need to fly 50m from people but 150m from any built-up area (which includes recreation).

This might help:
?dl=0

2022-8-16
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The standards for drone class identification labels have not been finalized yet. As of today, the notified bodies that are necessary to provide class identification labels have not yet been appointed by authorities in any EU state. Therefore, we refrain from speculating what kind of class identification label might apply to current or future DJI products.

DJI participates in advising on the standards and is working with potential notified body candidates, and we will be working on assuring compliance for relevant products accordingly.

We are aware that the current situation has led to many uncertainties amongst users when it comes to compliance of DJI drones with the new European Drone Regulations and class identification labels. Rest assured this issue is of the utmost importance to us, and we hope to resolve it as quickly as is feasibly possible. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-8-16
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FreshFlyer Posted at 8-16 11:26
I wonder if they really have evidence of accidents or fatalities to increase the distance from 50m to 1500m, and exclude recreation areas, parks and beaches. To get the A2 CofC costs money and as I heard only last to the end of the year so again money (and probably not safety) is involved.

The A2 CofC lasts for 5 years.
2022-8-16
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

Take a look at the CAA website for flying under artical 16, it's never mentioned on here for some reason,  works for me.
2022-8-16
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

M3P-ch Posted at 8-16 13:25
Unless you've taken the A2CofC qualification then what you're doing right now isn't allowed and hasn't been since the end of 2020. The rules changed then which pushed your Mavic 2 Zoom into the category where you need to fly 50m from people but 150m from any built-up area (which includes recreation).

This might help:

Hi
Thanks. I just became aware of this. its so unjust for existing Mavic owners. I see its anything over 250 grams. When will the authorities stop trying to push us out of our hobby. The CofC qualification exemption I understand only lasts to the end of the year so all legacy drones above 250 grams will be A3.
2022-8-17
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 8-16 22:12
The A2 CofC lasts for 5 years.

I heard in YouTube it expired at the end of the year. What do you need to do to get the Cof C please.
2022-8-17
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 8-16 21:24
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. The standards for drone class identification labels have not been finalized yet. As of today, the notified bodies that are necessary to provide class identification labels have not yet been appointed by authorities in any EU state. Therefore, we refrain from speculating what kind of class identification label might apply to current or future DJI products.

DJI participates in advising on the standards and is working with potential notified body candidates, and we will be working on assuring compliance for relevant products accordingly.

Hello,
Many thanks. I hear here and on YouTube the 'legacy drone' classification has already been implemented by the CAA even though its not clear, and legislation has been delayed by the EU. Product of Brexit I suppose.

Will DJI push for justice for existing drone owners of drones over 250 grams as not all can just buy a new drone so will leave the hobby.  
2022-8-17
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

UKMoose Posted at 8-16 22:21
Take a look at the CAA website for flying under artical 16, it's never mentioned on here for some reason,  works for me.

Those are the Drone Code I believe. My concern is the A0, A1, A2, A3 classification system that from other posts seems to already be in place for legacy drones such as we have. If you have a drone over 250grms its classified as such this minute. As result one cannot fly it in recreation areas, parks, beaches etc.  One can get a CofC exception to A2 but there is debate how long the exemption lasts.  New drones with the classification markings (when their is clarity) will not have a A3.
2022-8-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FreshFlyer Posted at 8-17 04:54
I heard in YouTube it expired at the end of the year. What do you need to do to get the Cof C please.

See https://www.heliguy.com/products/a2-cofc-drone-training-course

or

https://www.uavhub.com/products/ ... icate-of-competency

2022-8-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Id also recommend these two videos -

2022-8-17
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 8-17 05:16
See https://www.heliguy.com/products/a2-cofc-drone-training-course

or

Thanks. I will look into it and put a comment on the YouTube channel who informs people that in January 2023 all legacy drones, whether the CofC exempt or not will be A3.

I see the training cost over 100 GBP just to do something I could do 3 yrs ago with no issues. I am a retiree and fly for pleasure occasionally so this is beyond my budget. It to me sounds like a money making exploit by the authorities like going tax digital for small businesses where one has to lease software for around £20-24 per month to submit ones VAT now.
2022-8-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FreshFlyer Posted at 8-17 05:30
Thanks. I will look into it and put a comment on the YouTube channel who informs people that in January 2023 all legacy drones, whether the CofC exempt or not will be A3.

I see the training cost over 100 GBP just to do something I could do 3 yrs ago with no issues. I am a retiree and fly for pleasure occasionally so this is beyond my budget. It to me sounds like a money making exploit by the authorities like going tax digital for small businesses where one has to lease software for around £20-24 per month to submit ones VAT now.

The A2CofC lasts for 5 years but the benefit from bumping you A3 to A2 will expire at the end of the transition which us current dec 31 2022.   That might be extended by the CAA but we dont know that yet.  
2022-8-17
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 8-17 05:22
Id also recommend these two videos -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIFEYa2FH7k

Many Thanks. I am not talking about the Mini as the rules are quite relaxed that has caused confusion with the police and public. Not needing the FLY ID for this class seems strange.

My concern is supported by your second video which is the YouTube I am talking about. He mentions exactly what I said. If you take the C&C for a legacy drone it lasts only until 31st December 2022. This involves the Air too. Also, a MAVIC 3 Pro with the new classification stamp will be A2 but one bought without the classification will be A3. The current Air just over 500 grams is A3 but a classified 3 Pro is A2 but heavier. Totally strange.
2022-8-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FreshFlyer Posted at 8-17 05:53
Many Thanks. I am not talking about the Mini as the rules are quite relaxed that has caused confusion with the police and public. Not needing the FLY ID for this class seems strange.

My concern is supported by your second video which is the YouTube I am talking about. He mentions exactly what I said. If you take the C&C for a legacy drone it lasts only until 31st December 2022. This involves the Air too. Also, a MAVIC 3 Pro with the new classification stamp will be A2 but one bought without the classification will be A3. The current Air just over 500 grams is A3 but a classified 3 Pro is A2 but heavier. Totally strange.

From my understanding the Mavic 3 would need to be sold as a new model to meet the classification rules,  its currently too fast.
2022-8-17
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

FreshFlyer Posted at 8-17 05:12
Those are the Drone Code I believe. My concern is the A0, A1, A2, A3 classification system that from other posts seems to already be in place for legacy drones such as we have. If you have a drone over 250grms its classified as such this minute. As result one cannot fly it in recreation areas, parks, beaches etc.  One can get a CofC exception to A2 but there is debate how long the exemption lasts.  New drones with the classification markings (when their is clarity) will not have a A3.

£xxxxvtyuuuuu

2022-8-17
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

UKMoose Posted at 8-17 07:55
Under artical 16 I can fly my Mavic Pro in recreational area's at a minimum distance of 30 metres reducing to 15 meters for take off and landing,
Also I can fly on beaches owned by Crown estates between high and low water, so can you,

Is your drone Mavic 3 Pro or Mini 3 Pro. The classification  regulations are summarised in the YouTube another replier kindly attached.

A3 class one is not allowed to fly the drone in recreational areas, parks, tourists sites and beaches. This is both public and private. If your Mavic Pro is a Mini all is ok.
2022-8-17
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 8-17 06:09
From my understanding the Mavic 3 would need to be sold as a new model to meet the classification rules,  its currently too fast.

Hello,
You are very correct. The existing Mavic 3 models people have bought  are classified legacy drone. So discriminatory against drone owners who have bought models earlier. This applies to the Air, Mavic 2, Mavic 2 Zoom also.

It sounds to me that a qualification may be required to buy a model with the new classification defined on it in the future. Another way of getting money. That maybe the reason for the delay as they negotiate the course with authorised vendors. This is the only reason why they would maintain this discrimination and call all drones over 250grams purchased before as 'Legacy Drones'
2022-8-17
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 8-17 05:39
The A2CofC lasts for 5 years but the benefit from bumping you A3 to A2 will expire at the end of the transition which us current dec 31 2022.   That might be extended by the CAA but we dont know that yet.

Thanks. At over 100 GBP for the course for 4 months I think I will wait until they sort themselves out. Then ,hopefully, common sense will prevail. I still cannot see how a Mavic model bought before the new classification comes in is less safe than a model bought after.

As one can see from the abundant YouTube postings the public and police are already confused with the current rules.
2022-8-17
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI participates in advising on the standards and is working with potential notified body candidates, and we will be working on assuring compliance for relevant products accordingly.

I wonder why the UK rushed ahead to bring in these 'Transitional Rules'. Any sensible body would keep the status quo for models over 250 grams until it was all worked out and clear.

Anyway, if the discrepancy between models based on the timing of purchase is maintained when the classification comes in, would DJI consider an attractive trade in for models bought earlier? This may enable some to stay in the hobby so you do not lose customers in the future.
2022-8-17
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fateofangel Posted at 8-16 10:49
every single certificate is a cost for DJI..

If there is not sensible parity in the future, DJI could lose a significant amount of custom, and the activity lose the necessary public hobbyist population.
2022-8-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FreshFlyer Posted at 8-17 09:15
I wonder why the UK rushed ahead to bring in these 'Transitional Rules'. Any sensible body would keep the status quo for models over 250 grams until it was all worked out and clear.

Anyway, if the discrepancy between models based on the timing of purchase is maintained when the classification comes in, would DJI consider an attractive trade in for models bought earlier? This may enable some to stay in the hobby so you do not lose customers in the future.

The uk didn’t rush ahead.  The EU under EASA defined a period for the manufacturers to start using the classification system which the drone makers say is not ready but EASA say is ready.  Go figure.    The leaked pics of the new Snapchat drone even show the c label.
2022-8-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FreshFlyer Posted at 8-17 09:08
Thanks. At over 100 GBP for the course for 4 months I think I will wait until they sort themselves out. Then ,hopefully, common sense will prevail. I still cannot see how a Mavic model bought before the new classification comes in is less safe than a model bought after.

As one can see from the abundant YouTube postings the public and police are already confused with the current rules.

It’s down to the kinetic energy in a fall or crash mostly.   I’ve bought a mini3 to replace a lot of flying I did with the mavic 2.  And to be honest the quality is better without the hassles.    The main time the magic comes out is when I need that 45mph and after classification that will be gone for new drones.  
2022-8-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FreshFlyer Posted at 8-17 09:01
Hello,
You are very correct. The existing Mavic 3 models people have bought  are classified legacy drone. So discriminatory against drone owners who have bought models earlier. This applies to the Air, Mavic 2, Mavic 2 Zoom also.

More likely sell you a drone now without classification and tempt you to upgrade later with classification.  Although due to the new rules I skipped the mavic 3 myself.  
2022-8-17
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Poland

FreshFlyer Posted at 8-17 09:20
If there is not sensible parity in the future, DJI could lose a significant amount of custom, and the activity lose the necessary public hobbyist population.

or make a hobbist community  the new drone buyers
2022-8-17
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fateofangel Posted at 8-17 09:29
or make a hobbist community  the new drone buyers

With the current economic situation its unlikely many hobbyists will buy new drones when they have a perfectly good drone. I do not believe any of us have a drone with the new classification, so all are 'legacy'. Is it really a money making venture or safety?
2022-8-17
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fateofangel Posted at 8-16 07:37

EU regulations but we are out of the EU. CAA has imposed a transition period which is the rule anyway.
2022-8-17
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Poland

FreshFlyer Posted at 8-17 09:41
EU regulations but we are out of the EU. CAA has imposed a transition period which is the rule anyway.

i hope so
2022-8-17
Use props
fateofangel
Second Officer
Poland

FreshFlyer Posted at 8-17 09:38
With the current economic situation its unlikely many hobbyists will buy new drones when they have a perfectly good drone. I do not believe any of us have a drone with the new classification, so all are 'legacy'. Is it really a money making venture or safety?

i think many DJI models will be regresivly certified, but all others i wont be so sure
2022-8-17
Use props
M3P-ch
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5547667 ft
United Kingdom

A few things ...

The A2CofC qualification lasts for five years, but it only gave you exemptions until the end of December 2022. They're talking about extending that date, so it might be worth looking into it.
It still doesn't give you free reign to fly your drone and requires a 50m separation from people. That's generally also 50m from houses, cars, etc.

If you just want to fly in the park you could become a member of a flying club such as FPVUK or BMFA. This will probably cost £20-£40/year and gives you the right to fly under "Article 16". That allows closer flights, and flights within parks providing you perform a risk assessment. Membership also gives you third-party liability insurance which could be invaluable if you land a drone on someone's property or head. Otherwise they'll be chasing you for damages/compensation if you're not covered by other insurance (home insurance, for example).

The A2CofC can be got for much less than £100 if you look around.

Selling your current drone and buying a used Mini 2 from eBay may be your best option (or Mini 3 if you feel extravagant, it's a great drone). It's a great drone and you can keep flying it in the park, or mostly anywhere. That shouldn't cost you money, I guess the sale price of your Mavic 2 would easily cover the buying price of a used Mini 2.

Not sure if this is readable, but it's elsewhere online and may help you with the rules and regulations.
It doesn't take into account any potential extension of the current rules beyond 31st Dec 2022.

2022-8-17
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

M3P-ch Posted at 8-17 12:50
A few things ...

The A2CofC qualification lasts for five years, but it only gave you exemptions until the end of December 2022. They're talking about extending that date, so it might be worth looking into it.

Thanks. It appears they are trying to force hobbyists under 250 grams so the commercial field can have the over 250grams drones. Interestingly, I read how the EU is treating this period until certification is ready. They put existing drone between 250-500 grams in A1 and 500 grams to 2kg in A2. I wonder why the UK opted for more draconian measures where all legacy drones over 250 grams get the A3 which in Europe is currently given to drones over 2kg. Surely the science on risk is the same. Maybe it’s to sell A2 CofC courses as there is a huge number of vendors.

I think I would be unable to sell my drone while it’s classified as A3. Maybe to Europe but they too know the difficulty us plus 250 gram owners now face. Anyone want to buy a Mavic 2 Zoom

2022-8-17
Use props
FreshFlyer
lvl.2
United Kingdom

One sneaky question. Assuming the legacy drones are classified by weight into the C1, C2, C3 categories when they appear on new drones my Mavic 2 Zoom will still be A3 as its 901 grams where the EU limit for A2 is 900 grams. Just 1 gram.

As the effect of where one can fly is so dramatic between A2 and A3, is there a way of shaving a few grams off my Mavic 2. Perhaps the legs?  I believe the regulations is 'real weight' rather than manufactures weight as any additions made to drone are included.
2022-8-17
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules