GPS Foil Mod
7897 16 2014-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
csiami
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23711 ft
United States

I've seen a lot about the foil mod.  Looks like it really does improve GPS signal.  Does anyone know whether one kind of foil is better than the other. Ie; Aluminum v Copper foil?
2014-12-2
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7 ft
United Kingdom

Just your luck  try one or the other  proper copper  sheilding  is the standard in industry .All it does is correct a problem from stray rfi from the camera .Not every phantom  gets the issue  so if you have no issues then no need to bother .
Also if you have a V3 Vision+ Dji have attempted to cure the known fault with better sheilding , ferrites on cables and new camera cable and who know's what else!.
2014-12-2
Use props
ramey510
New

United States

I ran my cable under the existing copper shield and this improved my signal greatly. I attempted to enhance this with aluminum tape and it made the signal worse. I am currently thinking about applying copper foil to see if this further improves the signal.
2014-12-2
Use props
csiami
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23711 ft
United States

I'm thinking gold foil might be the ticket
2014-12-2
Use props
Tony
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2856060 ft
  • >>>
United States

I used this:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_135512-5 ... tape&facetInfo=

Then a layer of gaffers tape on top of that to prevent any possible shorting, should any of it come loose and touch any circuits inside the shell.

I also rerouted the GPS cable under the existing padding first.

This worked like a charm. But note that if you have the newer v3 model you should not need to do any of this, as it now has ferrite chokes and extra shielding. You can also purchase a new skid with the shielded compass for next to nothing ($15). http://www.dronecamps.com/#!dji/cx0j
2014-12-2
Use props
kp.iwsltd
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Just a quick question but shouldn't the manufacture offer a solution for this glaring obvious manufacturing defect?
2014-12-2
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7 ft
United Kingdom

Gerry1124 Posted at 2014-12-3 10:44
They addressed the problem on the new model, but it's like any other industry, they won't do upgra ...

Car makers do now and again recall for defects  but Dji always said there were no issues with the Phantom V2+  !!!!!!!
2014-12-3
Use props
josephbobowicz
lvl.4

United Kingdom

In my experience with my P2V+ V2 there was certainly an issue with my GPS in particular when I engaged video in 1080p. I would typically drop 3+ satellites when I would start to record video. As time went on I decided to reroute my GPS cable from the front to the back under the factory copper shield and had a positive result. However I would still drop a satellite or two when engaging video. I was skeptical about the foil mod. I decided to do it and am glad that I did. All I used was one layer of standard kitchen aluminium foil. I simply cut out a template using the upper shell. In applying it to the upper shell after putting it into position I taped off the edges with quarter inch strips of light grade duct tape being careful to not cover the air vents. I then cover the foil with a thin layer of tape as well to provide a layer of insulation to prevent any potential shorts should the foil come into contact any of the electronics. As far as the foil is concerned I covered the center section of the upper shell as well as the arms to there midpoint. After doing the mod I have zero issues with my GPS. I track satellites at home using two websites and use an app on my mobile phone at my flying sites. I typically capture the 10 to 11 I have tracked in the area when I go out flying on the ground within 90 seconds. I have not had any issues whatsoever after doing the mods I did.
2014-12-3
Use props
rexster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2740 ft
United States

I haven't received my P2V+ (supposed to be here tomorrow) but I've been unable find the aluminum sheeting every one seems to use, however Reynolds makes a foil/parchment paper (foil one side, parchment paper on the other) that sounds promising and it's already insulated by the paper side. Seems with a couple of strategically placed dots of glue gun adhesive it would be good to go
2014-12-3
Use props
LIPHANTOM
lvl.2

United States

josephbobowicz@ Posted at 2014-12-3 22:42
In my experience with my P2V+ V2 there was certainly an issue with my GPS in particular when I engag ...

My results were the same as yours.   I used printable Alufoil.  Cut the template.   It has an adhesive backing.  Once I completed this mod I was able to record at 1080P with no sat drops.   I was finally able to use my bird as intended.

PS   The rerouting of the cable under the existing shield didn't nothing.   I think it actually made it worse.   The foil mod is needed if you have this issue.

2015-3-2
Use props
GerryBerry2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 197 ft
Ireland

I went outside onto my patio and watched the number of satellites acquired by my Phantom2 - a steady four.
Went back inside and performed the first mod - routed the GPS antenna cable under the grey screen, and tested this outside - 5 satellites acquired!
I then used a sheet of baking foil (aluminium) covered with clear self-adhesive film (the sort used for covering school books), and stuck this down with double-sided tape. Went back outside, and immediately acquired 7 satellites - intermittently 8!
I now have the Phantom all closed up and it is picking up 7-8 satellites in a location where four, at most five were acquired previously.
Fantastic, simple and effective mod.
Thank you,
Gerry 2
2015-3-2
Use props
oakspi
lvl.4

United States

Here is one that may help without using the foil.  Hopefully the link works
2015-3-2
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here are detailed instructions for this mod:
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31054

You'll also find links to inexpensive places to buy copper foil strips or an entire sheet of copper foil.
2015-3-2
Use props
josephbobowicz.
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Check this out, I modified by bird by rerouting the GPS cable and adding foil however this is pretty cool: http://youtu.be/8Qp2Xdc4DfQ
2015-3-4
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

josephbobowicz. Posted at 2015-3-5 08:44
Check this out, I modified by bird by rerouting the GPS cable and adding foil however this is pretty ...

yep.  saw this last night.  ordered it today:

http://www.buzzcam.co.uk/

now i get to see how long shipping is to me from UK ... haha
2015-3-4
Use props
Guy
lvl.4

Australia

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-5 09:06
yep.  saw this last night.  ordered it today:

http://www.buzzcam.co.uk/

Sent an email to see if he will extend his sales to Australia. Watched the Utube video. Very impressed.

EDIT: Just bought mine for $20.25 AUD.

Thanks for sharing

Guy
2015-3-4
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

awesome, guy.  now lets see whether UK ships to US or AUS faster LOL...
2015-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules