Short HDR clip
688 13 2022-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dekstroza
lvl.4
Flight distance : 446919 ft
Ireland

Filmed in d-log and graded as HDR in Resolve.
Part of the learning process, but looks promising?

2022-8-24
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Hi Dekstroza,

Like you clip. Seeing a bit of a pinkish shift in the crest of the waves, not sure if you did color adjustments of some sort or maybe you pushed highlights up a lot clipping the white color, not 100% sure. Also you can shoot in HLG directly to get your base line for how the D-log to HDR would be expected to look like if you are looking for this. Also wanted to mention you may want to have the shutter speed to always be double your frame rate, i.e. if you are shooting at 50 fps , you shutter speed ideally should be 100ss. You can let your ISO wander , but it's best to "lock" at a minimum the shutter speed and if possible the aperture too and set white balance manually.  Also for water shooting would suggest getting an ND filter with a CPL knob. Sorry one last suggestion you may want to shoot to the middle of the histogram when shooting in D-Log or HLG so you can preserve your highlights and not kill too many shadows. You can enable histogram in Camera settings. Would also suggest to enable overexposure warning and grid in the same Camera settings , this way you can watch for overexposure. My sweet spot for ND filter is 32.  I use ND 32 with CPL when shooting anything water related , but am also learning I think what would help you a lot is to shoot 2 of the same clips: shoot the same video in HLG and the same video in D-Log. Then grade your D-Log in HDR and compare to HLG,  the HLG can be your best teacher in that sense. That is just my 2 cents though, the art of videography is very subjective, like your video though. One last thing, I think I would raise black and shadows a bit higher, another thing for figuring out good contrast, the same suggestion , to shoot in HLG and D-Log and compare your graded HDR video from D-Log to HLG. Hope this helps. Sorry wasn't trying to be critical, just wanted to share some tricks I went through for learning of D-log capture and shooting, not necessarily related to your video though, in general for how to learn HDR grading imho.

Thanks, Mike.

P.S. One more suggestion, when shooting water with ND + CPL, it's best to shoot 90 degrees to or from the sun.
2022-8-24
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there dekstroza. Good day and thank you for posting this cool aerial video that you have filmed. Nicely done and keep flying. .
2022-8-24
Use props
dekstroza
lvl.4
Ireland

Mzp Posted at 8-24 15:18
Hi Dekstroza,

Like you clip. Seeing a bit of a pinkish shift in the crest of the waves, not sure if you did color adjustments of some sort or maybe you pushed highlights up a lot clipping the white color, not 100% sure. Also you can shoot in HLG directly to get your base line for how the D-log to HDR would be expected to look like if you are looking for this. Also wanted to mention you may want to have the shutter speed to always be double your frame rate, i.e. if you are shooting at 50 fps , you shutter speed ideally should be 100ss. You can let your ISO wander , but it's best to "lock" at a minimum the shutter speed and if possible the aperture too and set white balance manually.  Also for water shooting would suggest getting an ND filter with a CPL knob. Sorry one last suggestion you may want to shoot to the middle of the histogram when shooting in D-Log or HLG so you can preserve your highlights and not kill too many shadows. You can enable histogram in Camera settings. Would also suggest to enable overexposure warning and grid in the same Camera settings , this way you can watch for overexposure. My sweet spot for ND filter is 32.  I use ND 32 with CPL when shooting anything water related , but am also learning  I think what would help you a lot is to shoot 2 of the same clips: shoot the same video in HLG and the same video in D-Log. Then grade your D-Log in HDR and compare to HLG,  the HLG can be your best teacher in that sense. That is just my 2 cents though, the art of videography is very subjective, like your video though. One last thing, I think I would raise black and shadows a bit higher, another thing for figuring out good contrast, the same suggestion , to shoot in HLG and D-Log and compare your graded HDR video from D-Log to HLG. Hope this helps. Sorry wasn't trying to be critical, just wanted to share some tricks I went through for learning of D-log capture and shooting, not necessarily related to your video though, in general for how to learn HDR grading imho.

Thank a mil, all good suggestions. I only recently found out that HLG comes out natively on Mavic 3 in Rec2020 , but I didn’t have any shots with it yet. To be fair, I am complete noob when it comes to color grading, these are my first stabs at it.

I noticed the pinkish shift as you called it too, just don’t know yet how to get rid of it, figured this post might spark some discussion and useful tips on this topic.

I ve used ND filters for years, but never got polarized ones, somehow it was too much hassle, as you can’t adjust the ring without landing and then repeating the shot, checking if the ring was done correctly, the moment is often gone quickly.

Thank you again for all the suggestions, I hope to do some tests with HLG mode this weekend.

Regards,
dekstroza
2022-8-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lovely top down shot.  
2022-8-25
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

dekstroza Posted at 8-24 23:52
Thank a mil, all good suggestions. I only recently found out that HLG comes out natively on Mavic 3 in Rec2020 , but I didn’t have any shots with it yet. To be fair, I am complete noob when it comes to color grading, these are my first stabs at it.

I noticed the pinkish shift as you called it too, just don’t know yet how to get rid of it, figured this post might spark some discussion and useful tips on this topic.

Sure you are very welcome Dekstroza, those were just the things I had to go through for learning, wasn't really critical of your video. I completely liked your video, it is a real HDR video and it look nice on my monitor.

Thanks, Mike.
2022-8-25
Use props
dekstroza
lvl.4
Ireland

Mzp Posted at 8-25 05:41
Sure you are very welcome Dekstroza, those were just the things I had to go through for learning, wasn't really critical of your video. I completely liked your video, it is a real HDR video and it look nice on my monitor.

Thanks, Mike.

Ohh no, no bother at all, it is constructive critic and suggestions that make things better and improve ones skills.Very valuable input from you, and thank you for taking time to look at it and help me improve.

On a side note, I think I was able to remove that cast, does not show at my MacBook Pro XDR display nor on any of my TV's...now waiting for YouTube to process it as HDR and compare.

I do wonder though if my workflow is correct here, when I look at the original footage in MediaInfo, colour primaries is shown as REC.709, DJI subtitles on the video do show its filmed in DLOG. What I ve done is marked the clip in Resolve 18 as input colour space DJI DLOG Gamut and input Gamma as DJI Log, and then applied on the node color space transform, changing it from that into Rec2020 with STB2084 1000 nit gamma, and grading after that. MacBook Pro's display is XDR and cooler space set to HDR Video P3-ST 2084. This gives me same look in the Resolve, when I play it in QuickTime or on iPhone with XDR screen and TV. Any thoughts on this?

Regards,
dekstroza
2022-8-25
Use props
dekstroza
lvl.4
Ireland

DowntownRDB Posted at 8-25 02:56
Lovely top down shot.

Thank you, just a sample clip to learn grading and HDR
2022-8-25
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

dekstroza Posted at 8-25 06:01

Got you, you are welcome Dekstroza.
2022-8-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

dekstroza Posted at 8-25 06:01

You're very welcome dekstroza.    Have a wonderful day and weekend.
2022-8-26
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

dekstroza Posted at 8-25 05:59
Ohh no, no bother at all, it is constructive critic and suggestions that make things better and improve ones skills.Very valuable input from you, and thank you for taking time to look at it and help me improve.

On a side note, I think I was able to remove that cast, does not show at my MacBook Pro XDR display nor on any of my TV's...now waiting for YouTube to process it as HDR and compare.

Hi Dekstroza,

Thank you for kind words. Yes this is correct D-Log is rec.709 color space with 10 bit color. I also choose DJI D-Gamut / D- Log as input space, I chose Rec 2020 or rec 2021 HLG as the output color space. I actually don't do the transforms with DCTLs , I just choose the output color space as rec. 2020 HLG in Resolve and apply DJI rec.709 Mavic 3 standard lut or if I want to get creative I don't apply the lut and do all the color adjustments manually. Many people say that luts destroy colors, but I have not noticed that. Sorry my MacBook Pro is from 2012 and not usable anymore, not sure at all what the best settings is for the display to display HDR So basically my workflow in Resolve is this:

Color Managed
Input color as DJI D-Gamut / D-Log
Timeline Rec.2021 HLG
Output color same as timeline.
Apply Mavic 3 standard lut

Do adjustments i.e. n Color tab in HDR section.

When exporting choose Nvidia, MP4 , H265, Main10, Encoding speed - Custom 170000 KB

You probably can't choose Nvidia on Mac and may need to choose the default one to be processed by CPU.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Mike.

P.S. You can also choose HDR 10+ , HDR vivid, Export HDR metadata checkboxes in project settings.
2022-8-26
Use props
dekstroza
lvl.4
Ireland

I haven’t tried applying LUT for Mavic 3, normally I avoid them completely, just set input color space and gama and adjust .
What confuses me somewhat is that I’m under the impression that viewer in resolve changes what it displays once I match the input space to DJI dlog gamut, and I think given the timeline settings it converts to it…so makes the node with color space transform on it redundant ?

More experimenting is needed with this, as I’m not sure if I need it or not.

I use the same settings as yours, metal and gpu are set by resolve to m1max and all that good stuff, so that works out of the box.

2022-8-27
Use props
Mzp
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

dekstroza Posted at 8-27 04:14
I haven’t tried applying LUT for Mavic 3, normally I avoid them completely, just set input color space and gama and adjust .
What confuses me somewhat is that I’m under the impression that viewer in resolve changes what it displays once I match the input space to DJI dlog gamut, and I think given the timeline settings it converts to it…so makes the node with color space transform on it redundant ?

I hear you, I don't do transforms because I think when you set input and output color space as color managed , it is already doing the transform there. I don't think transform is required tbo, but maybe someone could chime in too to suggest this, I am also curios to find this out.
2022-8-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I like it
2022-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now