Deactivate the gimbal
5328 12 2022-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_36Cu8Nm0jgy4
New

Turkey

Hello friends, I have a DJI mini 2 drone, as you all know, if you don't fly the drone, it gets incredibly hot in a few minutes, if you don't fly the drone, you have to turn it off, There is one point I don't understand , when I transfer something from the drone to the computer with a cable or when I transfer to the phone with the photo quick transfer mode or while I am updating my drone, The gimbal is functioning always continuously , maybe it's one of the biggest reasons for the drone to heat up where it's standing, is there any settings or way to deactivate the gimbal when the drone is not in the air, is there anything I don't know?
2022-8-25
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115184 ft
United States

The heat is coming from the electronic IC chips on the pcb board - not the gimbal.  There is no option to disable the gimbal.

Personally, if I want to move a lot of data (photos) I pull the sdcard out of the drone and insert it into a computer...  That way the drone does not have to be powered.
2022-8-25
Use props
BWJ
Second Officer

Denmark

To disable the gimbal, set it to follow instead of FPV, in the menu.
2022-8-25
Use props
djiuser_36Cu8Nm0jgy4
New

Turkey

BWJ Posted at 8-25 11:26

thank you so much
2022-8-25
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there. Thank you for reaching out and for giving out these information. Just a friendly reminder that the DJI Mavic 2 does not have a fan, so it uses the heat sink on the bottom of the DJI drone to dissipate heat. After the DJI Mini 2 is powered on and kept on a flat surface ( such as ground or a desk ) for a while, the heat dissipation will be affected, as the surface is close to the heat sink. In this case, the DJI drone should be turned off and kept idle for a while to drop its temperature before using it again. Thank you.
2022-8-25
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
United States

BWJ Posted at 8-25 11:26

Doesn't that just lock the gimbal in place looking forward?

My understanding is that technically it's still powered with camera operating and likely dissipating the same amount of power (heat)...

Either way, I don't think FPV mode results in any less heat than regular mode when the drone is idle.
2022-8-26
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm agree with TomKatt here, on both his posts,
I always remove the card from the drone and put it into a reader attached to the destination device. I see no point in wasting the drone's battery power for one thing and it saves the drone from getting cooked for another.

Why would FPV mode reduce, to any significant degree, the power consumption of the electrionics and their subsequent heat evolution? All FPV mode does is prevent the gimbal compensation for drone roll, it still compensates for drone pitch changes.

If I am doing something that requires the drone to be powered on with the motors NOT running, I, with the legs in the flying position,  either direct the draught of a fan over the drone or stand the drone on its side and lean it against something so that convection currents run through the left to right crenellations that are present in the drone's heatsink.

2022-8-26
Use props
TomKatt
lvl.4
United States

When I first got my Mini 2 I half expected the drone to act like an sdcard reader if you plugged the usb cable into a computer while the drone was unpowered...   I was surprised to discover that the drone needed to be powered on in order to access the sdcard.  Many other devices provide that option, which is nice because I will admit that sdcards can be a bit of a pain to remove & insert, so just plugging the usb cable in is a lot easier.

Alas, the Mini 2 is not designed to allow that.  But swapping the card around seems better than letting the drone cook.

Edit - If you do want to access the sdcard from inside the drone, at the very least remove any retaining guards (remember the gimbal will still initialize) and open the legs to flying position to allow as much air to reach the vents, as Sean-bumble-bee suggested.

2022-8-26
Use props
BWJ
Second Officer

Denmark

TomKatt Posted at 8-26 02:18
Doesn't that just lock the gimbal in place looking forward?

My understanding is that technically it's still powered with camera operating and likely dissipating the same amount of power (heat)...

Question was "way to deactivate the gimbal ," therefore my answer
Gimbal is movement not camera
2022-8-26
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you think about it the gimbal is NOT decativated when in FPV mode.
The bearings in the gimbal are fairly free moving, so, as the drone rolls, the natural tendency would be for the camera to remain orientated as it was, relative to the horizon, prior to the drone starting to roll. Thus the gimbal has to 'work' to 'drag' the camera with the drone as the drone rolls...........and back again. There is no physical lock so everything stems from controlled torque applied by the roll motor i.e. the motor is 'energised'.
I have never checked whether FPV mode 'locks' the gimbal in yaw with respect to the drone but even in follow me the yaw motion of the gimbal is had to see.
I would say that keeping the camera stable in pitch is very much a function of the gimbal and, in FPV mode,  the camera is CERTAINLY held stable relative to the horizon as the drone changes pitch........unless you have the camera near its pitch limits.
2022-8-26
Use props
djiuser_Sd5hbrM5X4Sa
New

United States

My gimbal isn't working I got it back in place but why can't I fly using no camera?

Because the gimbal isn't working after a rural and total faili can't take off even in addi
1-6 15:16
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_Sd5hbrM5X4Sa Posted at 1-6 15:16
My gimbal isn't working I got it back in place but why can't I fly using no camera?

Probably because DJI programmed thing that way.
1-6 15:53
Use props
cyan
Ban Posts
Flight distance : 202326 ft
United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
1-6 21:17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules