DJI Apps - Many Drones Unusable - FIX IT!
977 9 2022-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GDDFromAus
lvl.1
Australia

Hello DJI.

At the moment, the drone that I myself and many others have purchased from you for good money has effectively become a very expensive paperweight.

I am wondering when you are going to stop copying and pasting answers and actually spend some of your massive profits in getting whomever develops your apps to fix them?

It is not good enough to say download the app you require directly from our website -  it is clearly evident that in many cases including my own that downloading said apk's directly from your site and a) enabling developer mode and b) allowing unknown app installation ... still ends with the very same issue which prompted us to research the issue being an application which instantly crashes thereby rendering our drones useless.

Now I don't know exactly what your sales figures are and I am fully aware that you have products and accessories in various price ranges from low to very high commercial grade equipment ... that said ... let's do what I would think to be a very conservative average estimation of a million sales at $1500:

1000000 x 1500 = DJI is a one and a half billion dollar company

You see what I'm getting at here? I assume your profits to be massive and you are not spending appropriately to provid applications to your customers which keep their drones in the air!

Stop noodling about the issue ... pay whatever developers you need to and get all of your apps working properly again or suffer the consequences - you are obviously not complying with Google (and possibly Apple) code vetting practices so at this point I am left wondering what it is you are hiding and why this problem seems to be somewhat long standing now ... although in my case I only discovered it yesterday after having not flown for a couple of weeks but obviously getting an Android 12 update through.

FYI ... my phone (which worked no issues prior to Android 12 with DJI Go 4)/Android model/versions involved:

Phone: Samsung A21s
Android Version: 12
Baseband Version: A217FXXU8DVG4
Kernel Version: 4.19.132-24202344
Knox Version 3.8

Here is what I have personally tried to get the DJI Go 4 app working:

Opened the application > cleared the cache as per prompt > application crashes > check for update (because at this point I did not know there was such a massive problem with your apps) > tried reopening the application and it crashes > completely uninstalled DJI Go 4 app including manual delete of associated folders > searched the app store (still unaware of the massive issues with your apps and that they are unavailable on Play Store) > scratch my head wondering what do I do now then > research and find that for some strange reason I need to manually download your latest apk directly from the website > download the apk from your website > disable Play Store auto updating > allow unknown apps (needs to be on a per app basis so need to wait until I am actually trying to install the apps to allow it) > run the DJI Go 4 apk > allow the appropriate program (Cx File Explorer where apk saved to) permissions > return to allow unknown apps and toggle on for DJI Go 4 > open app and app crashes > find thread about using an apk installer > install APK installer (by AvS Apps) and try installing your DJI Go 4 apk via that method > allow what I need to > click Open for app > app instantly crashes

Needless to say, I think you could agree this was/still is very frustrating!

I respectfully ask that you do better and FIX IT!

Funny thing is, I was personally looking at upgrading to one of your newer models and was out to fly my Mavic Pro one last time prior to passing the old beast onto my Nephew for his flying pleasure ...

... unfortunately there was not (and it seems there will not be if your poor form is any indication) any flying pleasure and since you cannot be trusted to provide anything other than what I have previously effectively described as a very expensive paperweight, I shall not be handing a single cent further over to your company because I just can't be sure that your products will continue to be adequately supported and function as intended - at this stage you cannot be trusted in my view.

One last by the way ... I truly feel for anyone who is making a living from your products because at this point in time they may be starving to death!  

2022-8-27
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. You may try this link to download the beta version: GO :https://pan-sec.djicorp.com/s/EGyCHqYiJszqjpR   PWD: DJI123
2022-8-27
Use props
GDDFromAus
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Wanda Posted at 8-27 19:37
Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. You may try this link to download the beta version: GO :https://pan-sec.djicorp.com/s/EGyCHqYiJszqjpR   PWD: DJI123

That Beta version also does not work as others have mentioned to you in multiple other threads relating to this issue.

What is being done to properly remedy this issue? What sort of timeframe are we all looking at to have an application that works?

As I mentioned in my original post ... you are simply copying and pasting answers that do not solve the problem for many users of your products.

Do you think that by providing a link to the exact same apk file that you have linked to in other threads albeit in the case above you have provided a different password to access said apk file will change anything? It is the same file! And as others including myself have already indicated, in many cases, including my own, that file does NOT WORK!

And BTW, I have tested that Beta, provided in multiple threads relating to the same issue, provided by yourself and differing Levels of DJI Forum title (E.g., Admin/Moderator) via differing links to the file, using different passwords to access the file (all very strange) - although I did not install it to hardware but rather in an emulated Pixel 4 instance running Android 12 via Android Studio the fact still remains IT DOES NOT WORK

2022-8-27
Use props
VAA MEDIA
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2130853 ft
  • >>>
United States

I must agree, this is beyond ridiculous.  I can't begin to convey the disappointment I am experiencing with DJI.  I came to Maui from Seattle in order to do a commercial shoot, and I have been put in a situation I would expect from a startup, not a multi million dollar, established corporation that has been operating in
this space for years as an authority.  If there is some inherent, systemic problem with getting the DJI GO 4 app, which encompasses tens of thousands of drone operators, to the tune of millions and millions of dollars, then might I assertively suggest you simply tell the people that have invested thousands of dollars into your product, A: THE PROBLEM B: WHAT'S BEING DONE TO RESOLVE IT & C: WHEN WE CAN REALISTICALLY EXPECT A REMEDY

This is basic customer service at its most simple level. You can't take millions of dollars from people with an expectation of functional operation, then deliver the opposite.  It blows me away there isn't more accountability. Please address
2022-8-27
Use props
GDDFromAus
lvl.1
Australia

VAA MEDIA Posted at 8-27 20:52
I must agree, this is beyond ridiculous.  I can't begin to convey the disappointment I am experiencing with DJI.  I came to Maui from Seattle in order to do a commercial shoot, and I have been put in a situation I would expect from a startup, not a multi million dollar, established corporation that has been operating in
this space for years as an authority.  If there is some inherent, systemic problem with getting the DJI GO 4 app, which encompasses tens of thousands of drone operators, to the tune of millions and millions of dollars, then might I assertively suggest you simply tell the people that have invested thousands of dollars into your product, A: THE PROBLEM B: WHAT'S BEING DONE TO RESOLVE IT & C: WHEN WE CAN REALISTICALLY EXPECT A REMEDY

Hope you can get something sorted for that shoot and get paid - I am not relying on my Mavic Pro for earning but there must be heaps of people losing cash which should rightfully be in their pockets now if not for this.

Your bolded A ... B ... C ... from above I could not agree with more. At the moment I am feeling like a mushroom in the dark because no statement is being made ... nothing more than copy/pasted apologies to solutions that are obviously not a true resolution.

Answers please DJI
2022-8-27
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

GDDFromAus Posted at 8-27 19:49
That Beta version also does not work as others have mentioned to you in multiple other threads relating to this issue.

What is being done to properly remedy this issue? What sort of timeframe are we all looking at to have an application that works?

Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. May we know the exact issue after you downloaded the beta version on your A21s?  What error message or detailed phenomenon of the issue did you encounter?  
For the beta version, we have sent it to many Android 12 users including Pixel series users,  most of the users have feedback that the App can be normally operated so that we would send the link to users who have not tried the beta version before.  
2022-8-28
Use props
GDDFromAus
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Wanda Posted at 8-28 00:17
Hello, there. Sorry for your inconvenience. May we know the exact issue after you downloaded the beta version on your A21s?  What error message or detailed phenomenon of the issue did you encounter?  
For the beta version, we have sent it to many Android 12 users including Pixel series users,  most of the users have feedback that the App can be normally operated so that we would send the link to users who have not tried the beta version before.

The Beta app linked to above was doing the same as the latest .50 version available on the official DJI Downloads page.

Fortunately, I can say that I now have the Beta linked to above installed and functioning correctly including a 20 minute flight using a single battery.

The unfortunate side: I really don't know what to tell anyone else who might happen across this thread who is still having the same problem considering that I have spent all day repeatedly trying with multiple setting changes on my phone - hence, I really don't know in the end the exact root cause in my circumstances.

As a brief list to try for anyone else still experiencing the same thing:

1) Return your phone to a default theme/wallpaper/lockscreen image and use a default icon set (I thought maybe the resolution of any/all of the above if using custom stuff might skew the app into having a fit about screen size of something perhaps)
2) Ensure that the failing application (DJI Go 4) is properly uninstalled (I swear I uninstalled via the app icon at one point however, when checking under apps I believe it was still somehow installed) - do this via Icon then check your apps list and perform a Forced Shutdown of the app and then uninstall if still present
3) Disable automatic updates for apps in Google Play Store (not that I think it should matter considering the DJI apps inclusive of DJI Go 4 are no longer in the store)
4) Temporarily disable Google Play Protect (can be turned back on if/after you successfully get the app running with DJI Go 4 verified for me as still working after doing so)
5) Ensure that you use Google Chrome browser to perform the Download of the apk file and also that Google Chrome's default save location is set to internal storage (Downloads) rather than an SD card - prior to downloading the apk ensure that Google Chrome is set so as to allow performing installs of Unknown apps

I wish everyone the very best in getting up in the air again - this whole ordeal has been a massive headache and pain in the proverbial if you ask me.

IMO an explanation of why the application/s in question are still not allowed on the app store BUT RATHER need to be sideloaded and just "trusted" should be forthcoming - I am still firmly thinking some sort of funny business is going on because of the lack of detail provided and my confidence level in DJI as a reputable company is wavering every minute longer this is not adequately explained.

2022-8-28
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

GDDFromAus Posted at 8-28 00:57
The Beta app linked to above was doing the same as the latest .50 version available on the official DJI Downloads page.

Fortunately, I can say that I now have the Beta linked to above installed and functioning correctly including a 20 minute flight using a single battery.

May we double confirm that you can operate the DJI GO4 App normally after reinstalling the beta version now?  For your other issue,  the update channels for DJI apps have been adjusted due to Google Play technical adjustments. Please get the latest version of the app through DJI’s official website. User experience, functions, and privacy protections of apps installed through DJI’s official website are still the same as before, so please feel free to use them. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-8-28
Use props
djiuser_kfrKn5TEU6vT
New

Canada

Ok DJI Wanda,

I haven't flown my Mavic Air 1 in months due to the "bug" in GO 4.  Please send me the link to the Beta sobI can fly my expensive paperweight.  My phone is Samsung GALAXY S20 FE 5G.  Please provide clear instructions as well PLEASE!

2022-8-28
Use props
GDDFromAus
lvl.1
Australia

DJI Wanda Posted at 8-28 03:45
May we double confirm that you can operate the DJI GO4 App normally after reinstalling the beta version now?  For your other issue,  the update channels for DJI apps have been adjusted due to Google Play technical adjustments. Please get the latest version of the app through DJI’s official website. User experience, functions, and privacy protections of apps installed through DJI’s official website are still the same as before, so please feel free to use them. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Re: "confirm that you can operate the DJI GO4 App normally ..."

Yes Wanda - I have installed the Beta again and it seems to function correctly although I have not had a chance to test all application features via a single battery flight alone.

Re: "the update channels for DJI apps have been adjusted due to Google Play technical adjustments"

That may well be the case, however, every other company of any repute and/or app developer would strive to comply with the "technical adjustments" as you put it ... every other developer is also aware of any changes Google is going to make because Google make announcements well in advance about the necessary requirements for change ... unlike DJI who failed to make any type of announcement and/or spend any of it's massive profits on FIXING APPS PROPERLY AND GETTING THEM BACK ON A TRUSTED PLATFORM!

Re: "Please get the latest version of the app through DJI's official website"

I am aware Wanda that the "latest version" is only available on the website hence the previous comment relating to your non-conformity with Google policy ... oh and by the way, getting the "latest" .apk through the official website would usually imply that I download V4.3.50 via https://www.dji.com/au/downloads/djiapp/dji-go-4 but as you are fully aware, that application crashes on opening ... so getting the "latest" version is a confusing mess ... you are certainly bound for more trouble considering that Administrators and Moderators of this forum have been handing out links to a server download via multiple threads, often with varying passwords to obtain the file and furthermore, linking people to Dropbox downloads? What type of operation has this become? Don't you think to save a lot of time for a lot of people via a logical approach would be to have a massive announcement about issues known to DJI and via a simple website edit, remove V4.3.50 contained at  https://www.dji.com/au/downloads/djiapp/dji-go-4 and replace it with the currently working Beta that is being bandied about here there and everywhere? Nah ... that would be common sense!  

Re: "User experience, functions, and privacy protections of apps installed through DJI’s official website are still the same as before, so please feel free to use them"

But we as consumers don't know that for sure now do we Wanda because the applications are not approved through trusted download sources such as Google and the Apple store where products are heavily vetted for the security piece of mind of Android and iOS users respectively - DJI however is just expecting that we blindly follow at this point in time.

If the privacy protections were truly the same as before then I would assume there to be no problem with getting the apps back up on the Google and Apple stores ... if this is not the case in DJI's opinion then please explain why your high profit company will not invest in development that will conform to Google and Apple standards - you are still dodging a suitable explanation IMO.

Again, I am not sure about anyone else reading this but personally, my level of trust in DJI is rapidly fading and I am left to wonder if spying is the reason. I mean didn't DJI swear black and blue that they accepted no funding from the Chinese government only to be blacklisted by the United States after having been found to be taking money from Beijing? DJI caught in a massively BLATANT lie and now I am expected to blindly believe that my privacy protections are all good because a forum Admin says so? Maybe it is more to the point that Google and Apple being US companies are compelled not to have your applications available on their stores as opposed to having made "technical adjustments" perhaps?

Re: "Thank you for your understanding and support"  

Sorry but I don't really understand because again you are failing to answer critical questions to your consumers ... and ... unfortunately, I'm not sure whether DJI does understand either and I assume that it may be due to a language comprehension barrier  
2022-8-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules