SD card folder naming and other file questions
1068 8 2022-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfbd2311f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 384698 ft
United States

I noticed that the drone only puts 999 files in a folder before creating another folder and beginning the file numbering from 1 again.  This is somewhat annoying as I don't know why file names need to be reused and makes for more complicated file storage archiving.  But that said, what happens when you fill up an SD card and start a new one?  Does it start with the original folder name and number, and file names back to 1?  

Secondly, when filming in 4k30, I am noticing that video files are broken down into 5:30 segments.  Is that default behavior, or is this a setting?  

Thanks,

2022-8-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

But that said, what happens when you fill up an SD card and start a new one?  Does it start with the original folder name and number, and file names back to 1?
If you have formatted the card in your computer after copying the files to your computer, the numbering wil continue from where you left off.
If not it will start at 001.

Secondly, when filming in 4k30, I am noticing that video files are broken down into 5:30 segments.  Is that default behavior, or is this a setting?
It's not about time, it's about filesize and that's completely normal.

2022-8-29
Use props
fansfbd2311f
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-29 02:57
But that said, what happens when you fill up an SD card and start a new one?  Does it start with the original folder name and number, and file names back to 1?  
If you have formatted the card in your computer after copying the files to your computer, the numbering wil continue from where you left off.
If not it will start at 001.

I did not format my first card on my computer, but are you saying that if I format the new card on my computer the drone will not reformat it and will continue with the numbering sequentially?  What about the folder naming convention?

BTW what type of formatting should I use?  

Thanks,
2022-8-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fansfbd2311f Posted at 8-29 03:11
I did not format my first card on my computer, but are you saying that if I format the new card on my computer the drone will not reformat it and will continue with the numbering sequentially?  What about the folder naming convention?

BTW what type of formatting should I use?  

I'm saying that if you format the sd card (in your computer) after copying the image files, it will continue file numbering from where it left off.
If you format in the drone, it will restart numbering at 001.

The folder naming conventions will be unchanged.

The default quick format in A windows computer is fine.
2022-8-29
Use props
fansfbd2311f
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-29 05:15
I'm saying that if you format the sd card (in your computer) after copying the image files, it will continue file numbering from where it left off.

How does the drone know if I copied the files off the first card?  How does it know not to start renumbering?  I guess that's where I'm confused...
2022-8-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fansfbd2311f Posted at 8-29 05:36
How does the drone know if I copied the files off the first card?  How does it know not to start renumbering?  I guess that's where I'm confused...

I've explained how it is.
Don't bother with those questions.
2022-8-29
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 8-29 05:15

How does the drone know where you left off after formatting the card through the computer?
Is there something that doesn't get deleted in the card during the formatting?
2022-8-29
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Beta5K Posted at 8-29 10:09
How does the drone know where you left off after formatting the card through the computer?
Is there something that doesn't get deleted in the card during the formatting?

The drone carries the name of the last image in its memory, same as a DSLR does, except perhaps when the card is reformatted in the drone. In those circumstances it appears that that 'memory' is deleted. You can however reset the numbering scheme of a reset 'counter' by coping the last image shot by the drone back onto the card and then put the card back into the drone. If the last name of the lasy image contained the number xyz then the number of the next image shot will be 1 greater than that.
2022-8-29
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If you do ever get to 999 +1 then use something like bulk rename utility to add a leading zero to the number part of your old images wherever they are stored BUT NOT on a memory card that will be used in the drone so the for example xyz_001.jpg becomes xyz_0001.jpg and xyz_999.mp4 becomes xyz_0999.mp4. Then, when saving 999+ imagery to wherever, once they have been copied/moved to wherever add a leading 1 to the the number part of the name etc. etc.
2022-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules