1044 11 2022-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I rearly wanted to buy this FPV drone but having watched many reviews here are my reasons for not buying. I wonder if others feel the same:

1) It is too expensive
2) The bundles are odd and I would want the normal controller
3) It is way too loud and I would feel uneasy flying it because of this
4) There is no quick transfer and the SD card is in a mental place
5) You should have a spotter in the UK to fly it
6) The new goggles look like they have poor range
7) Some say the new goggles dont fit well

2022-9-1
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

i can only comment about the sound level and since flying the original dji fpv, i am ok with the high pitch noise from the motors especially when traveling at high speeds, making sharp turns, ascending quickly, etc.  for me, it's more enjoyable and when flying fpv (unlike when flying a regular drone), i don't see the benefit of being quiet when you are that close to the ground or in and around tight turns and object.  not sure if you want to remain quiet in those types of environments.

that being said, i have postpone my avata drone-only buy mainly waiting for the price to come down and maybe the bugs to get worked out.

but i agree with #2, you need the rc2 for sure.
2022-9-1
Use props
fredbotton75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1832001 ft
  • >>>
France

1) It is too expensive
> Well those who dived into FPV stuff a lot time ago do not want to count what they've spent and what theey are going to spend.

> Yes, although you can have a lot of fun with motion controller, especially if you've never flown acro.

> Yes, but all Cinewhoops do scream.

> Agreed. Totally. Same with USB-C. They could have derived SD & USB  somewhere else in the structure, which is nearly empty. Most early devices had their USB port masked by ducts or props guards, and mos Cinewhoop makers have found a way to avoid that.

> That's the way it goes in most countries.

> CE compliant transmission power does not give much, but you can already push power to FCC standards for an extra range.

> It's the very same with previous goggles. It really depends on your anatomy. If it doesn't fit well, wait a few of weeks for third-party foams.
2022-9-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

For me the strict rules make any FPV a no go.
2022-9-1
Use props
bp328i
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124590 ft
United States

1) It is too expensive
If it came with the DJI Remote Controller 2 I would be ok with the price, but currently yes it is.

Absolutely, I 100% believe this is DJI's way of getting rid of the Motion Controller

Cinewhoops are loud, I have a few not as loud but it is what it is on this one

100% agree, this is a horrible place for the SD card.

Same in the States, but it is what it is. I've been flying FPV for 3 years so I'm use to it.

I've seen that on the CE versions but for me (being in the States) in FCC mode I've seen they have better range than the Air / Vista units using the goggles v2

This will be a personal thing as everyones face is different. I'm thinking some aftermarket foam might fix this right up.

Bottom line for me is I won't buy the Avata until there is a combo with a real remote. If DJI releases the 03 Air Unit before the Avata comes with a remote I won't end up buying the Avata at all.

I'm waiting on the 03 Air Unit because I fly my own builds but if they make a combo with a real remote before the 03 Air Unit is announced I would buy the Avata same day and use it when I travel.
2022-9-1
Use props
Huginn Kenningar
Second Officer
Flight distance : 49635259 ft
Spain

And you must add a thing someone on another topic realized a moment ago, and that passed totally unnoticed (at least to me) untill now:

8) Avata is not a dual-band drone, it only uses the 5.8Ghz band which in Europe is limited to just 0.025W (2.4Ghz is limited to 0.1W, wich isn't good, but it's usable), so flight experience will be severely compromised unless you hack the drone to FCC (2W, 80 times more power).

The hack is available so for drone enthusiasts it won't be an issue (I have all my DJI drones with the hack), but I wonder how many people won't notice this and then get surprised that even a Mini 1 can outrange the Avata in CE mode.

PS: I'll pick the avata in the future when the price settle down... way down; maybe a second hand one as people in my country tend to buy drones and then leave them on the shelf because they find that they have to drive 50Km to find a spot to fly legally.
2022-9-1
Use props
Mat8861
lvl.4
Flight distance : 169400 ft
Italy

Hi BigPlumbs my reply:
1) It is too expensive
    True but i checked some decent set up and price is over, Goggles 500-600, Transmitter + receiver 300-400, air/vtx 200, BNF drone 500-600, batteries/lipo 150, but you need quite to be expert to select the
    right compatible components, assemble everything, most of the time waste hours to deal with setup fine-tune software. As i said you need to know what is tbs,elrs,etc.etc study components. The big difference
    is do i want an cinematic fpv ready to go or am i a fun of freestyle/racing? different worlds, you have to choose which one .
    Fully agree.
    All fpv are noisy, they need speed and quick response, thus high blade rotation, that make it noisy.
    Dji please provide !!
    Not only, spotter and A1-A3 license, but you just said "you should" i know a lot of guys with no spotter/license that just fly out in the fields for fun. It then become problematic in city areas, but those are
    common rules.
     EU damn regulations. Wish we all have FCC all around the world, 10 KM for everyone !
    True, after spending 1500 euro just found about the goggle foam padding 19€...come on DJI !!!
Cheers
PS  I also hope is that DJI will make their googles "2" available for the air units and vtx as in the past, I really do not want to buy new googles to do some freestyle with other drones (fpv or avata are not good for)
2022-9-1
Use props
Chaosrider
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1226762 ft
United States

bp328i Posted at 9-1 10:44
1) It is too expensive
If it came with the DJI Remote Controller 2 I would be ok with the price, but currently yes it is.

1) It is too expensive
TCS: Eye of the beholder. There's no objective measure of "too expensive". Don't get me wrong, the price took my breath away too! Enough that it has slowed me down from getting it, but I'll be getting in not more than a month.

Absolutely, I 100% believe this is DJI's way of getting rid of the Motion Controller
TCS: A number of people have said this. Maybe, I suppose, but there are other possible explanations. I want the Motion Controller, and the fact that the Pro View combo comes with that is a PLUS for me. It can also be explained if you assume a bi-furcated target market for the Avata: A) Existing DJI FPV pilots (I'm in that group), and B) New FPV pilots, with low overall experience. I don't have it yet, but everything that I've rad and seen suggest that the Motion Controller is much easier for FPV nubes, than the RC2 is.

Cinewhoops are loud, I have a few not as loud but it is what it is on this one
TCS: Ill find out when I get it. I had been flying various Minis for about 10 months when I got the FPV, and it did strike me as loud. When I eventually went to Manual mode, it struck me as really loud. I couldn't care less for myself, but I do want to avoid annoying people. Where I fly, there aren't a lot of people to annoy, so it's not a big concern for me.

100% agree, this is a horrible place for the SD card.
TCS: Sure looks that way. And I'm a finger-motion-klutz, so it will probably be even worse for me. I've never been interested in the Quick Transfer thing. I just pop the cards out.

Same in the States, but it is what it is. I've been flying FPV for 3 years so I'm use to it.
TCS: The requirement is identical to what it is for the DJI FPV, so there's nothing Avata-specific about this issue.

I've seen that on the CE versions but for me (being in the States) in FCC mode I've seen they have better range than the Air / Vista units using the goggles v2
TCS: I'm in the USA too, and I expect that to be my experience as well.

This will be a personal thing as everyones face is different. I'm thinking some aftermarket foam might fix this right up.
TCS: The FPV goggles were never a problem for me. Once I had the straps correctly adjusted correctly, I could just pop them on, and never think about it again. But, there are those who say I have a fat head...  ;-)

Bottom line for me is I won't buy the Avata until there is a combo with a real remote. If DJI releases the 03 Air Unit before the Avata comes with a remote I won't end up buying the Avata at all.
TCS: To each his own. I'll buy mine not earlier than tomorrow, and not later than when I get my first paycheck for my new job. :-)

I'm waiting on the 03 Air Unit because I fly my own builds but if they make a combo with a real remote before the 03 Air Unit is announced I would buy the Avata same day and use it when I travel.
2022-9-1
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Two things for me is the range and the need of a spotter.   Won't be buying.
2022-9-1
Use props
fans8c05e045
New

Netherlands

I build 5 race drones and thought i buy a avata for fun and to record some fotage in a easy way. Day one crash, nothing special because crashing is part of fpv. Now a scratch on the lens. first time ever with a drone. Ok things happen and lets replace it. Now dji tells me its not allowed to do it yourself and i cant buy one anywhere!!!   DJI never again!!
2023-6-19
Use props
AsturianCetorix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46814 ft
Spain

1) It is too expensive.

Yeah, it is expensive.

2) The bundles are odd and I would want the normal controller.

For that price they should include the Motion Controller and the FPV controller, that would not ruin DJI benefits I suppose.

3) It is way too loud and I would feel uneasy flying it because of this.

All woops are loud XD

It sucks, that little door...

5) You should have a spotter in the UK to fly it.

It sucks too, in Europe you feel like a terrorist flying a Boeing 747 filled with explosives... Who cares if you are in the middle of nowhere tho?

6) The new goggles look like they have poor range.

CE versions looks like have less range. But legally you have to see the thing, so...

7) Some say the new goggles dont fit well.

It depends, yeah.
2023-6-19
Use props
fans8c05e045
New

Netherlands

I’m in fpv for years and sinds i’m not alowed to repair my avata myself i will never recommend dji to anyone and our community is pretty big.  
2023-6-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules