Gimbal IMU data error (code 40021)
8387 27 2022-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MBo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1391545 ft
Norway

After updating the "DJI Fly" app released in connection with the arrival of the AVATA, I've lost connection with the camera on my Mavic Air 2. It seems the S/N has "disappeared" and the app is also not able to connect to the drone's external SD card. I've tried formating the SD card from my computer, but the app still does not recognize the card. I can read the card from the USB port on the drone, so the card seems to be fine both pre- and post formating. When connecting the drone to the ecomputer via the "DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic", it is possible to calibrate the camera and the signal is being read from the camera via the USB port to the computer, so it does not seem to be anything physically wrong with the camera as such. Successful gimbal calibration as well as IMU calibration does not solve the issue. Very frustrating!

IMG_2739.jpeg
IMG_2751.jpeg
IMG_2753.jpeg
IMG_2754.jpeg
2022-9-11
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Can you please confirm if the unit experience a hard landing or crash before? In addition, kindly please try to uninstall and reinstall the app and check if the issue persists. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2022-9-11
Use props
MBo
lvl.3
Norway

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-11 18:53
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Can you please confirm if the unit experience a hard landing or crash before? In addition, kindly please try to uninstall and reinstall the app and check if the issue persists. Please keep us posted. Thank you.

No hard landing or crash. Last flight was over water from a boat and the drone was landed by "hand catch".
2022-9-11
Use props
MBo
lvl.3
Norway

Then I've tried to uninstall and reinstall the app and the issue still does persist, i.e. no contact with camera unit on the drone.
Regards,
MBo
IMG_2758.jpeg
IMG_2759.jpeg
2022-9-13
Use props
MBo
lvl.3
Norway

Any proposals for a solution? I should very much liked to have the drone ready again for the week-end when forecast are good and plans for "photo travel" has been prepared.
2022-9-14
Use props
MBo
lvl.3
Norway

The camera's S/N should be:
2022-9-14
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

MBo Posted at 9-11 20:02
No hard landing or crash. Last flight was over water from a boat and the drone was landed by "hand catch".

Thank you for your response and for keeping us updated. In this kind of situation, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support . Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your kind and understanding.
2022-9-17
Use props
djiuser_4KXalFGKuYIM
New
Flight distance : 109147 ft

France

Pareil pour moi, la caméra c'est coupé en plein vol après 30 seconde de vol et depuis j'ai la même erreur et écran noir.
2022-9-17
Use props
djiuser_4KXalFGKuYIM
New
Flight distance : 109147 ft

France

Comment avez vous résolu ce problème ? J'ai vue plusieurs sujets dessus mais personne n'explique la solution
2022-9-17
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_4KXalFGKuYIM Posted at 9-17 07:19
Comment avez vous résolu ce problème ? J'ai vue plusieurs sujets dessus mais personne n'explique la solution

Hello there. Thank you for reaching out. Can you please confirm if you did also experience the said issue? May I please know what drone are you currently using? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2022-9-19
Use props
MBo
lvl.3
Norway

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-17 02:30
Thank you for your response and for keeping us updated. In this kind of situation, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support . Also, the warranty can be applied depending on the outcome of the damage assessment including the warranty period of your unit. Thank you for your kind and understanding.

Hi,
My MA2 has been sent for service via the vendor. It is still under warranty period, so awaiting feedback on root cause of problem.
2022-9-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

MBo Posted at 9-19 11:36
Hi,
My MA2 has been sent for service via the vendor. It is still under warranty period, so awaiting feedback on root cause of problem.

Thank you for keeping us posted, MBo. Kindly please wait for them to update you on the result of the diagnostics on your unit. Again, we apologize for the trouble. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-9-21
Use props
MBo
lvl.3
Norway

djiuser_4KXalFGKuYIM Posted at 9-17 07:03
Pareil pour moi, la caméra c'est coupé en plein vol après 30 seconde de vol et depuis j'ai la même erreur et écran noir.

sorry, it was not my intention to downvote your comment, but I do not seem to be able to change it again.
2022-9-29
Use props
MBo
lvl.3
Norway

My MA2 has been returned from service and a camera module warranty replacement. Back in business again! :-)
2022-10-23
Use props
DJISolution
lvl.1

Cambodia

Error 40021 mostly happen when you replace Camera module. To fix that error you need special software and after fix the error 40021, error 40011 will appear so you also need to fix that error too. Now you remotely fix and teach you how to fix those error on mini1,se,mini2,mini3 and air1,2,2s. For more information telegram us: t.me/djisolution
2023-3-21
Use props
Adrian Borza
lvl.1
Flight distance : 84944 ft
Romania

I suffered the same as MBo. On the last flight, the drone (DJI Mini 3 Pro with smart remote control) worked properly. After a break of a few weeks when I wanted to film a fishing competition I had the unpleasant surprise that the drone did not send any image to the remote control and the error message Gimbal IMU data error (code 40021) appeared. When I got home, I redid the firmware update on the drone and the remote control from the PC, with the latest version, but the problem was not fixed. I noticed that the SN of the camera is no longer displayed for me either, as if it does not physically exist in the drone. I note that the drone was not hit, it did not fall. Everything works (it flies, the gimbal moves as it should, I did the calibrations successfully) but I have no image from the camera anymore. I suspect that the problem appeared after the last update. I am very dissapointed.
2023-7-18
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Adrian Borza Posted at 7-18 03:14
I suffered the same as MBo. On the last flight, the drone (DJI Mini 3 Pro with smart remote control) worked properly. After a break of a few weeks when I wanted to film a fishing competition I had the unpleasant surprise that the drone did not send any image to the remote control and the error message Gimbal IMU data error (code 40021) appeared. When I got home, I redid the firmware update on the drone and the remote control from the PC, with the latest version, but the problem was not fixed. I noticed that the SN of the camera is no longer displayed for me either, as if it does not physically exist in the drone. I note that the drone was not hit, it did not fall. Everything works (it flies, the gimbal moves as it should, I did the calibrations successfully) but I have no image from the camera anymore. I suspect that the problem appeared after the last update. I am very dissapointed.

Hello there. I'm sorry for the experience. Was this already resolved? If not yet, please try the steps below:
1. Please make sure you're using the DJI Fly app.
2. Make sure the connection between the mobile phone device and the remote controller and the connection between the drone and the remote controller has been successfully connected, and relink the aircraft to the remote controller.
3. If there's a microSD card mounted, we recommend removing the microSD card, rebooting the device, and trying again.
4. Please make sure the version of the drone, remote controller, and the app is the latest. When the microSD card is not mounted, refresh the aircraft or the remote controller firmware.
5. Please reset the camera settings. After resetting the camera settings, please check if the photo and video can be shot normally. If not, the photo or video also shows black, you might need to send the drone for testing.
6. Please replace the mobile device to have a try if possible.
I hope this helps. Have a great day ahead.
2023-7-18
Use props
Adrian Borza
lvl.1
Romania

Hi DJI Tony!
I tried everything you said but I still have no image from the drone.  I also noticed yesterday that sometimes the SN of the camera appears on the remote control, sometimes not (see the photos taken yesterday, a few hours apart).  I really don't know what else to think about the DJI Mini 3 Pro drone.  I still think that all the problems are due to the last update, but unfortunately I can't verify that because there is no longer a possibility to downgrade the firmware. I am very disappointed.
IMG_20230718_164737.jpg
IMG_20230718_220042.jpg
2023-7-19
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Adrian Borza Posted at 7-19 05:04
Hi DJI Tony!
I tried everything you said but I still have no image from the drone.  I also noticed yesterday that sometimes the SN of the camera appears on the remote control, sometimes not (see the photos taken yesterday, a few hours apart).  I really don't know what else to think about the DJI Mini 3 Pro drone.  I still think that all the problems are due to the last update, but unfortunately I can't verify that because there is no longer a possibility to downgrade the firmware. I am very disappointed.

Hello there. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Are you getting a just black image if you take a picture using the drone? By the way, you can still downgrade the firmware using the DJI Assistant 2 by selecting the previous firmware from the list.
2023-7-19
Use props
Adrian Borza
lvl.1
Romania

DJI Tony Posted at 7-19 22:47
Hello there. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Are you getting a just black image if you take a picture using the drone? By the way, you can still downgrade the firmware using the DJI Assistant 2 by selecting the previous firmware from the list.

I can't take any picture and I can't downgrade either (see photo). As far as I understand, older firmware versions are no longer available to users. I don't understand DJI's decision but it's not right. If I update with a firmware that has a bug that messes up the drone, it's not my fault that I can't use the drone, which is not really cheap.
I will send the drone for service because I need it.
IMG_20230720_171104.jpg
2023-7-20
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Adrian Borza Posted at 7-20 06:20
I can't take any picture and I can't downgrade either (see photo). As far as I understand, older firmware versions are no longer available to users. I don't understand DJI's decision but it's not right. If I update with a firmware that has a bug that messes up the drone, it's not my fault that I can't use the drone, which is not really cheap.
I will send the drone for service because I need it.

Hi. I'm sorry about the trouble. We advise sending the drone for repair. Please use the following link if you want to contact our live support, you can also submit a repair request using the same link. https://www.dji.com/global/support?site=brandsite&from=nav
2023-7-20
Use props
Adrian Borza
lvl.1
Romania

Case closed. There was a gimbal and camera module failure and they gave me a new drone. I did a test yesterday and everything is working as it should. I hope the drone doesn't break down when I need it most. I wish you all the best!
2023-8-2
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Adrian Borza Posted at 8-2 21:36
Case closed. There was a gimbal and camera module failure and they gave me a new drone. I did a test yesterday and everything is working as it should. I hope the drone doesn't break down when I need it most. I wish you all the best!

Awesome. I'm glad it was already handled. You can always use the link above and contact us for further concerns or requests. We appreciate your valued support and patience. Have a great day ahead.
2023-8-2
Use props
sticcckkko
lvl.1
Flight distance : 251273 ft

United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2023-7-19 22:47

what does it mean if the image is black and im getting the same code on a mini 3 pro after taking gimble apart to fix the cradle that broke camera still worked after crash..
3-16 17:01
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

sticcckkko Posted at 3-16 17:01
what does it mean if the image is black and im getting the same code on a mini 3 pro after taking gimble apart to fix the cradle that broke camera still worked after crash..

Hi there. Is it the 40021 error? It means the gimbal was changed but the IMU data was not downloaded. We suggest sending back the aircraft to DJI for diagnosis. You can submit a repair request here (https://www.dji.com/global/support). Thank you for your patience.
3-17 01:58
Use props
sticcckkko
lvl.1

United States

DJI Tony Posted at 3-17 01:58
Hi there. Is it the 40021 error? It means the gimbal was changed but the IMU data was not downloaded. We suggest sending back the aircraft to DJI for diagnosis. You can submit a repair request here (https://www.dji.com/global/support). Thank you for your patience.

the gimble was not changed just the armature any way I put more heat sync gooop between the front and back of camera and also put some extra between the top board and  the image is fine now but when I fly the camera jumps around while flying looks like someone is throwing rocks at it.  
3-18 04:50
Use props
sticcckkko
lvl.1

United States

DJI Tony Posted at 3-17 01:58

is there a specific spot your supossed to hold the gimble postion wile assembling? it seems almost like an engine that jumped time or its under or over compensating because a start position was not observed. when I was putting everything together I lined the white dots up.
3-18 06:16
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

sticcckkko Posted at 3-18 04:50
the gimble was not changed just the armature any way I put more heat sync gooop between the front and back of camera and also put some extra between the top board and  the image is fine now but when I fly the camera jumps around while flying looks like someone is throwing rocks at it.

Hello, sticcckkko. I'm sorry, but we cannot recommend self-repair for the aircraft due to flight safety concerns. We highly suggest sending it back to DJI for diagnosis. Hoping for your patience and understanding.
3-19 02:07
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules