Downward sensor calibration not working
2820 11 2022-9-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rcrdps
lvl.1
United States

After a pretty big bump, my Avata now says Downward vision sensor error. Googling that says it can be fixed by running the Calibration in the DJI Assistant. But when I try to run that, it first tells me it can't recognize my screen resolution, and to enter it manually. There isn't any real directions on what style of numbers it is looking for, so I have tried inches or in pixel format. Seems others on the web haven't figured that out either. Some get it to work by switching PC's, or screens. I have tried two different PC's.

So then if I enter a number for the "resolution", the "Calibrate Now" stays greyed out indefinitely.

Any ideas on how to get this to run on a modern updated Windows 10 pc?
2022-9-13
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the unpleasant experience. In this kind of situation, I'm afraid that you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You can contact our support team to start up a ticket at https://www.dji.com/support . Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-9-13
Use props
rcrdps
lvl.1
United States

I'm supposed to send the drone in because the app doesn't work?! If I run the calibration, and it still gives a sensor error, then yes, the sensor might need to be replaced. But the software doesn't even work.
2022-9-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, there. We are greatly sorry to hear about that. Could you please provide us with a related screenshot for our further checks? Besides, please tell us the specific model of your computer.
2022-9-14
Use props
rcrdps
lvl.1
United States

Microsoft Surface 3  with Windows 10
I have also tried on an Intel NUC with a 50" screen.

2022-9-14
Use props
rcrdps
lvl.1
United States

Ok. I got past that error by doing the "cast your runes" where you just try different monitors on different PC's until you come up with something that just happens to match whatever in the world that DJI requires for this calibration seeing as there is no documentation or support personnel that seem to know what you should type in that box, or what exactly you should be looking for in a monitor that will work. In my case, I now have a 24inch screen on my  Intel NUC computer. It is 1080p native. Has a DVI port, but I'm using HDMI-DVI adapter. HDMI from the computer.

So now on to the next hurdle. How to get past the greyed out Calibrate Button. Most on the internet say disable driver signing fixes this, but so far it hasn't for me. This problem along with the screen resolution problem has been going on since at least 2017,...... so I'm pretty irritated. Makes me want to get rid of this drone as soon as I get it calibrated. Judging by all of the history I've read on this issue, I'm quite certain DJI "engineers" do not read this forum, so I'm merely documenting my journey for the next poor soul searching for a solution.

2022-9-14
Use props
fans403fd0b5
lvl.1
United States

rcrdps Posted at 9-14 19:31
Ok. I got past that error by doing the "cast your runes" where you just try different monitors on different PC's until you come up with something that just happens to match whatever in the world that DJI requires for this calibration seeing as there is no documentation or support personnel that seem to know what you should type in that box, or what exactly you should be looking for in a monitor that will work. In my case, I now have a 24inch screen on my  Intel NUC computer. It is 1080p native. Has a DVI port, but I'm using HDMI-DVI adapter. HDMI from the computer.

So now on to the next hurdle. How to get past the greyed out Calibrate Button. Most on the internet say disable driver signing fixes this, but so far it hasn't for me. This problem along with the screen resolution problem has been going on since at least 2017,...... so I'm pretty irritated. Makes me want to get rid of this drone as soon as I get it calibrated. Judging by all of the history I've read on this issue, I'm quite certain DJI "engineers" do not read this forum, so I'm merely documenting my journey for the next poor soul searching for a solution.

FYI. I did decide to send my drone in. I found physical damage to a component on the pcb of the Downward Vision sensor, and thus far, i don't see where those are for sale.

This doesn't change my complaints about the software. It is impossible to troubleshoot when you have to jump through so many hoops just to get it to run. I'm still left wondering if the software isn't running right, or is it the damaged sensor? And someone mentioned it erases your calibration first, so I will be reluctant to "try" just for documentation sake when my drone is returned from DJI.
2022-9-16
Use props
Flying_Pig
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3801663 ft
United States

rcrdps Posted at 9-14 19:31
Ok. I got past that error by doing the "cast your runes" where you just try different monitors on different PC's until you come up with something that just happens to match whatever in the world that DJI requires for this calibration seeing as there is no documentation or support personnel that seem to know what you should type in that box, or what exactly you should be looking for in a monitor that will work. In my case, I now have a 24inch screen on my  Intel NUC computer. It is 1080p native. Has a DVI port, but I'm using HDMI-DVI adapter. HDMI from the computer.

So now on to the next hurdle. How to get past the greyed out Calibrate Button. Most on the internet say disable driver signing fixes this, but so far it hasn't for me. This problem along with the screen resolution problem has been going on since at least 2017,...... so I'm pretty irritated. Makes me want to get rid of this drone as soon as I get it calibrated. Judging by all of the history I've read on this issue, I'm quite certain DJI "engineers" do not read this forum, so I'm merely documenting my journey for the next poor soul searching for a solution.

Having the same issue. Will not let me get past the greyed out calibrate now button.
2022-10-24
Use props
fans403fd0b5
lvl.1
United States

Flying_Pig Posted at 10-24 10:29
Having the same issue. Will not let me get past the greyed out calibrate now button.

Yeah, it's really aggrivating that the software just does this for some folks, but it could also mean your sensor is bad. I haven't retried this since my Avata came back from DJI. FYI, it was about $90 repair. I'm pretty happy with that portion of support. This forum, and the software,.. not so much.
2022-10-24
Use props
fans403fd0b5
lvl.1
United States

fans403fd0b5 Posted at 10-24 11:49
Yeah, it's really aggrivating that the software just does this for some folks, but it could also mean your sensor is bad. I haven't retried this since my Avata came back from DJI. FYI, it was about $90 repair. I'm pretty happy with that portion of support. This forum, and the software,.. not so much.

So I just took my known-working Avata and tried the software again. Still a greyed out button. Also tried:
disable bitlocker
reboot into advanced startup
choose unsigned driver boot
Tried software again. No worky.

So the software is useless at determining if your sensor is bad or just needs calibration since there's no telling if you'll get the calibration button.
2022-10-24
Use props
walkers13
lvl.1
Flight distance : 910210 ft
Canada

I too am having the same issue ... I just got off the phone with DJI support ... they gave me an older version of the DIJ assistant that I plan to try later today.   I will keep you posted if it works.
2022-11-7
Use props
LemuellDiaz
lvl.1

Mexico

walkers13 Posted at 2022-11-7 10:14
I too am having the same issue ... I just got off the phone with DJI support ... they gave me an older version of the DIJ assistant that I plan to try later today.   I will keep you posted if it works.

It worked?
2023-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules