I am not impressed with the New DJI Fly App Version 1.7.4…
1804 10 2022-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LoudThunder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 843950 ft
United States

I am not impressed with the New DJI Fly App Version 1.7.4…

I have a Mini 2 and I downloaded the New DJI Fly App Version 1.7.4 onto my two devices, both Android, a Galaxy Tab A8 and a Galaxy Tab S2. The App runs just fine on my A8, it's relatively new, with a 10" Screen, 4GB Ram, 64 GB Storage, and running Android Version 11.0.

However, on the S2, a 2017 Model, with an 8" Screen, 3 GB Ram, 32 GB Storage, Android Version 6.0, the App runs then crashes (App says it's stopped and needs restarting…). I restart the App, it runs for a bit and crashes again and again… I flew yesterday using the S2, before updating to the new version and it worked perfectly. Today, no way…

I sure hope it isn't the App needing something that the old Tablet cannot provide… I was really upset last year when I renewed my subscription to Norton Anti-Virus 360 (10 licenses for the computers, phones, tablets, etc…) and I found out that Norton no longer supports any devices with android version less than Ver 8… So it will not run on my S2 Tablet…

And I'm hoping the Fly App has not "out-grown" my S2 too. With it's 8" screen, great color, very bright screen, and it is a relatively light tablet, on 8 ounces. The A8, with it's 10" screen, is not as bright, and a whole lot heavier, 19 ounces.

Below is a screen shot of the all the info I can find on the Update…

Screenshot_20220915-161503.png
2022-9-17
Use props
bhallapple
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6587844 ft
United States

there are many on the forum running into this on many different devices.  One setting that I did change was by going into the map, and turning off low risk on airsense.  Be quick, it will try yto keep shutting down
2022-9-17
Use props
LoudThunder
lvl.4
United States

bhallapple Posted at 9-17 17:53
there are many on the forum running into this on many different devices.  One setting that I did change was by going into the map, and turning off low risk on airsense.  Be quick, it will try yto keep shutting down

You said, "One setting that I did change was by going into the map, and turning off low risk on airsense."

It might have be Greek to me...  I have no idea what you are suggesting, I went into maps, under the Atti Display (bottom Left) and found nothing as you suggest...
2022-9-17
Use props
LoudThunder
lvl.4
United States

Follow-Up -- a Day Late and still a Dollar Short...

This afternoon, I took my Mini 2 out with my Tab S2 and flew it in the yard, not more than 30 feet away.  The App crashed three times during my 27-minute flight.  At no time did I lose control of the drone.  Even while the screen was blacked out during the reboot of the App, the drone responded without a hitch.  The controller never lost contact with the drone.

For this test, I set up screen recording so I would have a record of everything that happened and when.

The first crash occurred at 4:25 into the flight and it took the App 29-seconds to reboot, but the battery timer lost one-minute, 4-seconds (1:04).

The second crash occurred 9:06 into the flight and it took the App 21-seconds to reboot and the battery count showed 40-seconds difference.

The last crash occurred at 18:31 into the flight and it took 23-seconds to reboot and the battery count lost 24 seconds…

The rest of the flight went normally.  I've cleaned up a lot of the old files and performed a Setup, Device Maintenance and we'll see if this App version is just a bit more resource demanding…

Edited Update to the above,,,

Well, I cleaned it up and fired up everyting and in less than 5-minutes, I was "blessed" with this, not great surprise...  I just let it be, and it rebooted without any action on my part, some saving grace...

Screenshot_20220917-233758.png
2022-9-17
Use props
LoudThunder
lvl.4
United States

Final Follow-Up, I gave up on Version 1.7.4, and uninstalled it,  I've loaded an older Version "'ol tired and true..."  Version 1.6.12 and it seems to be running perfectly (fingers crossed...).
2022-9-17
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Same is happening on my DJI Smart Controller,  seems they are not testing on older devices anymore.
2022-9-17
Use props
bhallapple
lvl.3
United States

LoudThunder Posted at 9-17 19:05
You said, "One setting that I did change was by going into the map, and turning off low risk on airsense."

It might have be Greek to me...  I have no idea what you are suggesting, I went into maps, under the Atti Display (bottom Left) and found nothing as you suggest...

When Operating I went to maps.  Clicked on the plane.  there are then 3 levels of airsense to show nearby planes.  I clicked the middle one so that the low risk of collisions is not reported.   In the end, I did roll back to a 1.7.0 version since I want to have an idea of when planes are approaching this valley.  I think there may be a conflict with the ID update included in this version
2022-9-18
Use props
LoudThunder
lvl.4
United States

bhallapple Posted at 9-18 03:12
When Operating I went to maps.  Clicked on the plane.  there are then 3 levels of airsense to show nearby planes.  I clicked the middle one so that the low risk of collisions is not reported.   In the end, I did roll back to a 1.7.0 version since I want to have an idea of when planes are approaching this valley.  I think there may be a conflict with the ID update included in this version

What model are you referring to, I have a mini 2 and I've never seen planes on the map...  I use a WiFi only tablet so I do not have internet access when flying...
2022-9-18
Use props
bhallapple
lvl.3
United States

LoudThunder Posted at 9-18 06:59
What model are you referring to, I have a mini 2 and I've never seen planes on the map...  I use a WiFi only tablet so I do not have internet access when flying...

sorry, I have Air2s and Mavic 3.  I use the RC Pro.  
2022-9-18
Use props
LoudThunder
lvl.4
United States

bhallapple Posted at 9-18 07:45
sorry, I have Air2s and Mavic 3.  I use the RC Pro.

As they say, "No problemo..."

Thank you for taking the time to respond, it might help someone else...
2022-9-18
Use props
LoudThunder
lvl.4
United States

LoudThunder Posted at 9-17 21:20
Final Follow-Up, I gave up on Version 1.7.4, and uninstalled it,  I've loaded an older Version "'ol tired and true..."  Version 1.6.12 and it seems to be running perfectly (fingers crossed...).

This would have been my last update, until I noticed that the flight I took yesterday did not record in my "Flight Data Center"

As I wrote, the flight ended normally,so the App should have recorded this...

I've read lots of other folks are also having a host of issues,what gives DJI?
2022-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules