5470 60 2022-9-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
snorkel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 452592 ft
  • >>>
United States

The action 3 looks great however it appears as of right now it can't do a external mic and USB power bank for long recording sessions.
So my use case is on a kayak and I don't want to swap batteries all day long.

Would be interesting to see if it can do a mic and power at the same time with a spliter.  The action 2 could not do it, only one or the other via a splitter.
Osmo Action 1 could do it no problem with the Cynova 3.5mm mic adapter.

2022-9-18
Use props
G1tgudscrub
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1434603 ft
  • >>>
United States

I mean technically, with the DJI Mic, or any other standalone lav mic... You could just record separately or literately tape the DJI Mic on it and record standalone. Sync the files in post, leaving that USB open to just do power.
2022-9-19
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

G1tgudscrub Posted at 9-19 15:26
I mean technically, with the DJI Mic, or any other standalone lav mic... You could just record separately or literately tape the DJI Mic on it and record standalone. Sync the files in post, leaving that USB open to just do power.

That only works for short clips, I am talking like 6 to 8 hours of recording.  I tried that with a zoom recorder and it's a nightmare to try and sync 1 audio file with like 20 video files.  Trust me it simply does not work in that situation. Now if both devices support timecodes that's a different story.
2022-9-19
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. The DJI Osmo Action 3 supports recording in the charging state. However, it may heat up during charging, and thus stop filming when shooting videos with a high frame rate. The charging process may also stop if the camera is noticeably overheating. It is recommended to charge the camera in a 5 to 40 degrees Celcius environment. Therefore, using the unit with a power bank is not supported however, we will love to forward it to our team for attention. With regard to the external Mic, the unit supports various connection guides on how to connect an external mic. Please let us know if you have other inquiries. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-9-19
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-19 21:03
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. The DJI Action 3 supports recording in the charging state. However, it may heat up during charging, and thus stop filming when shooting videos with a high frame rate. The charging process may also stop if the camera is noticeably overheating. It is recommended to charge the camera in a 5 to 40 degrees Celcius environment. Therefore, using the unit with a power bank is not supported however, we will love to forward it to our team for attention. With regard to the external Mic, the unit supports various connection guides on how to connect an external mic. Please let us know if you have other inquiries. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Should be fine, I used to record with the osmo action 1 for 8+ hours with the battery installed with a power bank.
It's actually a critical feature hope you fully support this with a update and a adapter like the cynova.
2022-9-19
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

snorkel Posted at 9-19 15:40
That only works for short clips, I am talking like 6 to 8 hours of recording.  I tried that with a zoom recorder and it's a nightmare to try and sync 1 audio file with like 20 video files.  Trust me it simply does not work in that situation. Now if both devices support timecodes that's a different story.

Only 2 clicks in Davinci Resolve to sync each clip to each others
2022-9-19
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

OA we loved the feature where we were able to connect external power Ac in the house and use the cynova adapter.

guess 1. the camera is open to water  if plugging in external power, and removal of  the battery would resolve overheating,

If the battery door is removable. I get a spare battery door, drill a hole run a lead, wit ha dummy cable and problem solved.
2022-9-20
Use props
snorkel
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 9-19 23:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU7ZNGrgcWw

I use davinci but you fail to understand that syncing with wave form that way is unreliable because one camera might have wind noise and bam won't sync, then try it with 8 hours of recordings.   Does not work for out door footage sorry it just doesn't.
2022-9-20
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

snorkel Posted at 9-20 18:11
I use davinci but you fail to understand that syncing with wave form that way is unreliable because one camera might have wind noise and bam won't sync, then try it with 8 hours of recordings.   Does not work for out door footage sorry it just doesn't.

I'm sry that I didn't think about that.
2022-9-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

snorkel Posted at 9-19 21:29
Should be fine, I used to record with the osmo action 1 for 8+ hours with the battery installed with a power bank.
It's actually a critical feature hope you fully support this with a update and a adapter like the cynova.

Thank you for your response. We will keep you posted once we receive some information about this. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-9-21
Use props
Maxx2206
lvl.2
Germany

DJI Paladin Posted at 9-19 21:03
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. The DJI Osmo Action 3 supports recording in the charging state. However, it may heat up during charging, and thus stop filming when shooting videos with a high frame rate. The charging process may also stop if the camera is noticeably overheating. It is recommended to charge the camera in a 5 to 40 degrees Celcius environment. Therefore, using the unit with a power bank is not supported however, we will love to forward it to our team for attention. With regard to the external Mic, the unit supports various connection guides on how to connect an external mic. Please let us know if you have other inquiries. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Hi,

can you please add some details?
Whats the exactl cabling to achieve chargin while using the DJI Mic.. does it require a dual USB-C cable/splitter, or is just the Mic Receiver using both connections (one to the cam, one for power input)?

I have been waiting for an option top power my two Action 2s while using the DJI Mic for a long time now and slowly start to give up all hope... I was glad hearing that the Osmo Action 3 supports it so I'm eager to try, but hopefully without mounting too much on the camera itself (its mounted to a motorcycle helmet, don't want to look like a borg with too many modules and cables ;) ).

Ideally i'd like to plug in a subtle cable and use the receiver and powerbank in a pocket...

Regards...
2022-11-17
Use props
djiuser_ozoRSdEpnM3T
lvl.2
Portugal

DJI Paladin Posted at 2022-9-19 21:03
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we do apologize for the inconvenience. The DJI Osmo Action 3 supports recording in the charging state. However, it may heat up during charging, and thus stop filming when shooting videos with a high frame rate. The charging process may also stop if the camera is noticeably overheating. It is recommended to charge the camera in a 5 to 40 degrees Celcius environment. Therefore, using the unit with a power bank is not supported however, we will love to forward it to our team for attention. With regard to the external Mic, the unit supports various connection guides on how to connect an external mic. Please let us know if you have other inquiries. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Hi,

can DJI can do it on a special advanced mode, and let user can decide if it use external mic and external power at same time for his own risk?

in my case and many ohters, we use action cam in "action" like motorcycle, biking, and another many sports that have a great air flow help keep action cam at low temperature.

we not like to have any conter im mind to change battery at each period of time, we are involved in a great pleasure on our hobby and need to enjoy it, not woring about if is time to cahnge battery...

DJI please hear us and let us chose,
we need use external mic for great sound, and extarnal power at same time for long videos

i hope you understand it and let your customers let the choice
we are advanced users than need advanced functions, and we are aware then camaera have a remotelly posibility to stop working by overheating, we all take risks every day we go out to do something more radical, DJI let us take that risk too , we want to be able to choose
2023-2-6
Use props
djiuser_ozoRSdEpnM3T
lvl.2
Portugal

Hi,

can DJI can do it on a special advanced mode, and let user can decide if it use external mic and external power at same time for his own risk?

in my case and many ohters, we use action cam in "action" like motorcycle, biking, and another many sports that have a great air flow help keep action cam at low temperature.

we not like to have any conter im mind to change battery at each period of time, we are involved in a great pleasure on our hobby and need to enjoy it, not woring about if is time to cahnge battery...

DJI please hear us and let us chose,
we need use external mic for great sound, and extarnal power at same time for long videos

i hope you understand it and let your customers let the choice
we are advanced users than need advanced functions, and we are aware then camaera have a remotelly posibility to stop working by overheating, we all take risks every day we go out to do something more radical, DJI let us take that risk too , we want to be able to choose
2023-2-6
Use props
djiuser_ozoRSdEpnM3T
lvl.2
Portugal

johansenfoto Posted at 2022-9-19 23:05
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU7ZNGrgcWw

Hi,

this is good for editing videos for youtube,... but if you have 6h of great trip and at home "relive" it you have a bad bad audio, and you dont reframe this 6h of video with audio recorded on external device, for me and all of us that record all day of "action" this is not a solution

as i said this is great for some youtubers, not for normal people than only need to go out to have some fun and then "relive it" full or parts with mininum of work, for us this is a hoby not a work

DJI please let use external mic and external power at same time, even if it is an advanced option for those who want to activate it knowing that they can stop recording due to overheating, but in many sports such as motorcycling this will not be a problem
2023-2-6
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

djiuser_ozoRSdEpnM3T Posted at 2-6 03:14
Hi,

this is good for editing videos for youtube,... but if you have 6h of great trip and at home "relive" it you have a bad bad audio, and you dont reframe this 6h of video with audio recorded on external device, for me and all of us that record all day of "action" this is not a solution

I understand you very well, it takes hours to fix.
2023-2-7
Use props
Rocktheasphalt
Second Officer
Switzerland

You can also operate the Osmo Action 3 without a battery, with the power bank via USB C cable. (Less weight on the helmet)

Theoretically, it should be possible to adjust the firmware so that the PD is switched through when there is no battery in the cam. (Possibly via the temperature monitor)

A slower charging process when using both would also be possible to get the temperature under control.

But it would be even more helpful to decide for yourself.
2023-2-7
Use props
djiuser_ozoRSdEpnM3T
lvl.2
Portugal

Can any DJI moderators pass this important request to development team?
For now Osmo action 3 can record for many hours with external power, but not simultaneously with external microphone, why?

The internal microphone in action situation is very, very, very bad, we need the ability to use external power and external microphone at the same time, like android phones do
2023-2-8
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I rather get the answer if it is "Hardwired" on the port for it .  if so lets hear it no one will answer, but check back with firmware
2023-2-8
Use props
skysailor64
Second Officer
United States

Here is an axample of the video sharpness focus and audio quality achievable with the Original DJI Osmo Action camera using the Cynova Audio/Charging Adapter.
2023-2-8
Use props
ride2freesoul
lvl.2
Portugal

Anyone know an eletronic engenerier that can try find a thecnical reason for external mic disconects after external power conect?
OM3 uses charge over PD
any help coud be useful
2023-2-9
Use props
ride2freesoul
lvl.2
Portugal

Hi,

use external power while record long videos - OK
use external mic while record long videos - OK
use external power AND external mic (using adapter(1)) while record long videos  - NOK, in that case only power work

I connect adapter to OM3 then connect external mic, camera detect ext mic and it works ok until I connect external power !

(1) - try adapter
-> usb c to usb c 2x
-> usb c to usb c  + jack 3.5

NOTE: all this options work with sucess on android phone

please let us use external mic and ext power at same time, we need it
your custommers need it
2023-2-9
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

I asked and they never responded, shows the importance
2023-2-9
Use props
snowcatxx87
lvl.2
Flight distance : 290564 ft
Canada

On my old gopro, I used a fake battery - meaning it was the power supply, leaving the port open just for the mic. It had a thin ribbon cable that snuck behind the door and into an external power supply. This allowed me to run it forever off an external battery, and the gopro wasn't "charging" and heating up. I had a quick look on the internet and I dont see a product for the Osmo 3 yet.
2023-2-9
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

making a dumb battery is not hard, I used    finish nails, on my Aipte  IS-DV back then, was thinking to do the same  rather buy a 24 pin DIY board to find out hte pin layouts.
Hero 4 it was a 30 pin layout on the back of the camera that special port
2023-2-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

ride2freesoul Posted at 2-9 10:16
Hi,

use external power while record long videos - OK

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support.
2023-2-11
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2-11 20:36
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support.

Please answer us the Pin layout  of hte usb port for hte Power and Mic sterio pins
2023-2-12
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C

Anyone with a solderpen and little knowledge could make an adapter
2023-2-12
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

not guessing the pins, simple to mess up with no info supplied, do things by the book, not at DJI lol. when we ask a question its always a protocol response . maybe the  Relivent Team will get to us
2023-2-12
Use props
ride2freesoul
lvl.2
Portugal

Hi,

any place where we can see DJI roadmap to osmo action 3?
2023-2-15
Use props
djiuser_reIFxUV8XTQO
New
Flight distance : 2713 ft
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2-11 20:36
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to our designated team for attention. After the evaluation of the engineers, significant suggestions or requests will be implemented via the firmware update, app update, etc. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support.

Any update on this? Can this be fixed in firmware, or is this a hardware issue? If it can be fixed in firmware, is it on any trajectory to be resolved? I have tried several adapters and am very frustrated that something so simple on pretty much every device I have seems to be impossible on the osmo action 3. It has so many great features, yet this key piece of functionality it falls flat. A fix would make this the perfect action cam. I hope a solution can be found, soon. Thank you.
2023-2-20
Use props
djiuser_KVRVfhXRBCAQ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 412451 ft
Poland

Yes, please add that in. We need it. That feature is missing on both Osmo Action 3 and Action 2.
2023-2-20
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_reIFxUV8XTQO Posted at 2-20 12:34
Any update on this? Can this be fixed in firmware, or is this a hardware issue? If it can be fixed in firmware, is it on any trajectory to be resolved? I have tried several adapters and am very frustrated that something so simple on pretty much every device I have seems to be impossible on the osmo action 3. It has so many great features, yet this key piece of functionality it falls flat. A fix would make this the perfect action cam. I hope a solution can be found, soon. Thank you.

Thank you for your response. We haven't received updates regarding this request. Please stay tuned to our official website for the latest news and updates. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-2-24
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_KVRVfhXRBCAQ Posted at 2-20 15:00
Yes, please add that in. We need it. That feature is missing on both Osmo Action 3 and Action 2.

Thank you for your feedback. Your feedback will be definitely cascaded to the concerned team for further review. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-2-24
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26296 ft
Denmark

Cynova mic-a did suck big time, useless shyt. For many years now, i used a hairband on oa1 for wind. works. Way better and crisp sound. and i have powerbank in. lol I say, live with it, or buy gopro. If i was in kayak, il use gopro+case 100%
So if audio is wery importen, use extern mic, App+lavmic then synk in post. I know. sounds bad. but it works.
I did buy oa3 for fishing, and usb-c mic input. I switch batterys. o yes. have 4 batterys, so, that can work. use oa3 on cheast mount
2023-3-8
Use props
Skyjacker1
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Well, i got my info wrong and purchased an Action 3 a couple days ago, I have purchased 10 dji products, an original osmo, osmo pocket, a phantom 4 pro, a ronin gimbal, the dji follow focus and 4 dji action cams, i used the original action cam on a helmet for a while but the lack of horizon level makes what i'm using it for nauseatingly untenable, so I purchased the Osmo Action 3 exclusively for the horizon leveling aspect while believing i would be able to charge and use an external lav mic at the same time, I do LONG construction videos while I narrate the process, I place the mic very close to my mouth with a dead cat windscreen on it, this way when i'm running saws and drills and hammering or sanding etc, my voice gets picked up nicely and the background noise stays way off in the distance, I finally broke down and bought an insta360 a while back because of the horizon leveling, they indeed have a Cynova type usb-c/3.5 adapter that allows you to charge and external mic simultaneously, the only drag is i have to go into the insta360 software to get what i need, a whole extra step, but in reality that extra step is worth it as otherwise my audio is pure garbage. That said if the original osmo action had horizon leveling i would've been completely happy with the Cynova adapter as it charged and external mic'd simultaneously, it worked great, the idea that dji would even think to put the osmo 3 out without the ability to  charge/external mic at the same time is completely absurd imo, this Osmo Action 3 will be returned this weekend when i have time, back to the insta360 and the other 4 stationary Osmo action originals, very disappointing

fwiw, with the insta360 I can and have recorded 100's of hours of horizon balanced video/audio and charged simultaneously at 2.7k to 4k reso 24fps with a 500gig sd card till it runs out, no problems, that equates up to 10 hours straight with minor breaks sometimes! Same with my 4  Osmo Action originals minus the horizon balance, it's a shame the 3 is completely useless to me
2023-3-14
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

I think you guys are a bit negative now.
A tip is is to plan your shots, not rely on your camera being able to shoot the whole day. Try shoot with dslr/mirrorless, most of them have 30 min recording limit.

OA3 with 160 minutes recording time is pretty good, it is double of what gopro can do in most cases.
2023-3-15
Use props
BOTG0MTB#
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thats a real shame about not being able to use a powerbank. I used one all the time with go pro so could get longer videos recrded by a wire and powerbank in my pocket.
2023-3-15
Use props
ride2freesoul
lvl.2
Portugal

hurtighansen1 Posted at 3-8 02:43
Cynova mic-a did suck big time, useless shyt. For many years now, i used a hairband on oa1 for wind. works. Way better and crisp sound. and i have powerbank in. lol I say, live with it, or buy gopro. If i was in kayak, il use gopro+case 100%
So if audio is wery importen, use extern mic, App+lavmic then synk in post. I know. sounds bad. but it works.
I did buy oa3 for fishing, and usb-c mic input. I switch batterys. o yes. have 4 batterys, so, that can work. use oa3 on cheast mount

Hi, can u please show how to use hairband on OA3?
If sound looks not horrible, can be a solution
I use my OA3 to record travel on motorcycle, not motovlog, only motor and ambient
2023-3-15
Use props
Skyjacker1
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

johansenfoto Posted at 3-15 00:51
I think you guys are a bit negative now.
A tip is is to plan your shots, not rely on your camera being able to shoot the whole day. Try shoot with dslr/mirrorless, most of them have 30 min recording limit.

pretty clear you didn't read any or at least my post, i'll keep your tips in mind while i have all 9 of my cameras operating all day, when you do construction projects you work on them all day, taking breaks to be a youtuber gets you fired or behind schedule, it's not a big ask here, the origninal osmo action did simultaneous charging and external mic just fine, I need the horizon balance along with those on at least 1 camera, the insta360 does it no problem(i don't want to have to use their editor is why i mistakenly bought the Action 3), not "a bit negative", a simple fact
2023-3-15
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Skyjacker1 Posted at 3-15 13:10
pretty clear you didn't read any or at least my post, i'll keep your tips in mind while i have all 9 of my cameras operating all day, when you do construction projects you work on them all day, taking breaks to be a youtuber gets you fired or behind schedule, it's not a big ask here, the origninal osmo action did simultaneous charging and external mic just fine, I need the horizon balance along with those on at least 1 camera, the insta360 does it no problem(i don't want to have to use their editor is why i mistakenly bought the Action 3), not "a bit negative", a simple fact

I did read your post, but doesn't you get break like a few times a day? Just asking since I only know how the workday is here.
Insta360 is a great camera indeed.

2023-3-15
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules