Crashed Drone Repair Questions
660 18 2022-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 54469 ft
United Kingdom

My drone hit a powerline today, so a few questions about repairs. The damage just seems to be the camera/gimble, which are hanging off. And also one of the motors is hanging off too.
Maybe there more damage inside.

Where is the best place to send it for repairs in the UK?
If it's to DJI themselves, how long can I expect a repair to take? (I didn't take out the care package). Is it a few weeks or months?

How much do you think it would cost to repair it (ball park figure)?

Is it less hassle just to buy another drone? i.e. would the cost of repair nearly match the price of a new drone? (£639)
If I did buy another drone, can I re-pair it to my RC-N1 controller to it easily and also add it to my DJI account?

I do have FPVUK public liability insurance. Is my drone covered or the poilcy for damage to others?

Thank you.

2022-9-19
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Send it in to DJI.  They will advise on turn-around time and cost.

How is the power line?
2022-9-19
Use props
gulfpre
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2885656 ft
  • >>>
United States

ouch. Send it to DJI for sure. No need second guessing. Yes, if you buy a new you can pair the new to your RC-N1, as long as it's a compatible drone.
2022-9-19
Use props
MS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

TonyPHX Posted at 9-19 10:07
Send it in to DJI.  They will advise on turn-around time and cost.

How is the power line?

Thank you.

Unfortunately, it's still there.
2022-9-19
Use props
MS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

gulfpre Posted at 9-19 10:11
ouch. Send it to DJI for sure. No need second guessing. Yes, if you buy a new you can pair the new to your RC-N1, as long as it's a compatible drone.

Thank you.
2022-9-19
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

if you end up buying a new drone, be sure to purchase dji care refresh; for low cost for mini 3 pro, it's a no-brainer.
2022-9-19
Use props
K9JDN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 893819 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is my drone covered or the poilcy for damage to others?

Without knowing the specifics of your policy, typically, liability insurance covers injuries caused by you to others or damages to their property.
2022-9-19
Use props
MS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 9-19 10:41
if you end up buying a new drone, be sure to purchase dji care refresh; for low cost for mini 3 pro, it's a no-brainer.

Thank you. Wise words there. I will definitely be buying Care Refresh if I need to buy another Mini 3.
2022-9-19
Use props
MS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

K9JDN Posted at 9-19 11:17
Is my drone covered or the poilcy for damage to others?

Without knowing the specifics of your policy, typically, liability insurance covers injuries caused by you to others or damages to their property.

OK thanks.
The reason I asked was if other UK members had the same policy. But point taken.
2022-9-19
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there MS. I am sorry to read and to know about what happened to your DJI Drone and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate event happened, I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2022-9-19
Use props
MS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI Stephen Posted at 9-19 19:40
Hello there MS. I am sorry to read and to know about what happened to your DJI Drone and thank you for reaching out. Since this unfortunate event happened, I would recommend for you to contact our DJI Support Team at https://www.dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav for further assistance with regards to this matter. We will do there best to help you and give out the best resolution for the said issue. Again, I am sorry and thank you.

Thank you Stephen
2022-9-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FPVUK is 3rd party liability, not your equipment
2022-9-20
Use props
MS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 9-20 03:29
FPVUK is 3rd party liability, not your equipment

Thank you.
I've started the repair process with DJI (I've got the case number), but unsure how to get the export documents to send it back to the Netherlands.
Would you know if I do need them from DJI, or would a Courier company deal with all that?

2022-9-20
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MS Posted at 9-20 05:30
Thank you.
I've started the repair process with DJI (I've got the case number), but unsure how to get the export documents to send it back to the Netherlands.
Would you know if I do need them from DJI, or would a Courier company deal with all that?

Sorry, ive not done it before, hopefully someone can advise, or ask support?
2022-9-20
Use props
MS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 9-20 06:35
Sorry, ive not done it before, hopefully someone can advise, or ask support?

Thanks.
I've emailed DJI CS.
2022-9-20
Use props
yogi053
Second Officer
Flight distance : 26104915 ft
United Kingdom

You will get all the necessary documentation from Dji by e-mail. You should print it off and then attach it to your parcel, remembering to sign and date 3 copies of the invoice for Customs requirements. Make sure the invoices are in a see-through poly bag or something similar, take it to a local UPS pck-up point (google that), you will then get an e-mail receipt for your parcel. How do I know this? I've had to do it twice already, but not with a Mini 3 Pro yet!
2022-9-20
Use props
chillibadger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 233064 ft
United Kingdom

yogi053 Posted at 9-20 08:44
You will get all the necessary documentation from Dji by e-mail. You should print it off and then attach it to your parcel, remembering to sign and date 3 copies of the invoice for Customs requirements. Make sure the invoices are in a see-through poly bag or something similar, take it to a local UPS pck-up point (google that), you will then get an e-mail receipt for your parcel. How do I know this? I've had to do it twice already, but not with a Mini 3 Pro yet!

Its a very good process.  I used a press seal sandwich bag for my customs docs.  Sent my mini 2 back as it took a disliking to my shed
2022-9-20
Use props
MS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thank you for the help Yogi053 & Chillibadger :-)

I've now got the "docs" email from DJI and printed them out and put them (3 + 1) all in a clear bag.
I forgot to sign and date them though, so I'll do that now.

One of the emails said I had to arrange a collection date/time with the courier and another one said the collection was already scheduled, with a collection date/time to be given shortly.
So I'll wait and see if I do get a collection notification.
2022-9-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

MS Posted at 9-20 02:26
Thank you Stephen

Hi there MS. You are very much welcome and thank you for the reply. If you have any other inquiries or any concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and assist you. .
2022-9-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules