1334 36 2022-9-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

The Amazing Merton Hills - 360 Pano

The Merton Hills are barren existing in almost desert like conditions (for New Zealand that is)...

Click on the link below to view in 3D...

Website Homepage https://andrewbusst.wixsite.com/mysite

Cheers

Bussty

2022-9-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Such an amazing landscape,  that feels like it should be there.
2022-9-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

PS is that the same tree you can see from the road? Highway 85.
2022-9-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Extraordinary 360!   Such a unique landscape that would make you think the location would be on another planet but not in NZ.  Awesome job Bussty.
2022-9-22
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DAFlys Posted at 9-22 02:41
PS is that the same tree you can see from the road? Highway 85.

Hi DAFlys. Thank you and yes I agree it looks ancient. That tree I think is this one that's at the east of those hills and you can't quite see it fully from that drone 360...

https://andrewbusst.wixsite.com/mysite/central-otago?pgid=je2528ci-760b346c-ed7d-4efb-81d2-275eb52315fd
2022-9-22
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-22 03:01
Extraordinary 360!   Such a unique landscape that would make you think the location would be on another planet but not in NZ.  Awesome job Bussty.

Thank you Downtown. That is one of the wonders of NZ... varied landscape over very short distances.  

2022-9-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 9-22 03:36
Thank you Downtown. That is one of the wonders of NZ... varied landscape over very short distances.

You're most welcome Bussty.  

Having spent many years in the Navy I have traveled extensively (64 different countries, but who's counting) and seen so much but never any landscape like the ones in Merton Hills.  
2022-9-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bussty Posted at 9-22 03:22
Hi DAFlys. Thank you and yes I agree it looks ancient. That tree I think is this one that's at the east of those hills and you can't quite see it fully from that drone 360...

https://andrewbusst.wixsite.com/mysite/central-otago?pgid=je2528ci-760b346c-ed7d-4efb-81d2-275eb52315fd

I was trying to work out of it was this one.

2022-9-22
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

Impressive 360 Bussty.
2022-9-22
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-22 03:01
Extraordinary 360!   Such a unique landscape that would make you think the location would be on another planet but not in NZ.  Awesome job Bussty.

Wow that is very interesting to know. You have been some places!!  
2022-9-22
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DAFlys Posted at 9-22 05:50
I was trying to work out of it was this one.

[view_image]

Hey DAFlys that's the same tree as in that link I sent you. I think you can just see the top of it in the 360 pano...

Cheers

Bussty
2022-9-22
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

Thank you Fred!
2022-9-22
Use props
Fred Fred Fred
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4512966 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 9-22 12:04
Thank you Fred!

No problem.
2022-9-22
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bussty Posted at 9-22 12:04
Hey DAFlys that's the same tree as in that link I sent you. I think you can just see the top of it in the 360 pano...

[view_image]

Seems quite random,   I wonder if a local planted it there for a laugh.
2022-9-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 9-22 11:58
Wow that is very interesting to know. You have been some places!!

Lots of travel courtesy of the US Navy.  
2022-9-23
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DAFlys Posted at 9-22 22:50
Seems quite random,   I wonder if a local planted it there for a laugh.

It's a very good question
2022-9-23
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-23 11:56
Lots of travel courtesy of the US Navy.

Still.... if the boss is paying
2022-9-23
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 9-23 14:57
Still.... if the boss is paying

No argument there.    The Navy lived up to that old saying of "Join the Navy and see the world".  I still have lots of countries I want to visit and some to re-visit.  
2022-9-24
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-24 05:08
No argument there.    The Navy lived up to that old saying of "Join the Navy and see the world".  I still have lots of countries I want to visit and some to re-visit.

That's pretty cool. Did your adventures ever take to you New Zealand?   
2022-9-24
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 9-24 19:48
That's pretty cool. Did your adventures ever take to you New Zealand?

Unfortunately, I was always stationed onboard nuclear powered Navy ships and as such we weren't allowed to port visit in New Zealand.  However, I understand that New Zealand has recently let a few of our nuclear powered ships in port.  Would have loved to visit your country.  
2022-9-25
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-25 14:39
Unfortunately, I was always stationed onboard nuclear powered Navy ships and as such we weren't allowed to port visit in New Zealand.  However, I understand that New Zealand has recently let a few of our nuclear powered ships in port.  Would have loved to visit your country.

Hey Downtown, yes we went pretty hard on the anti-nuclear back in the day. I think it's kind of ingrained now in the culture here (non nuclear plus we have so many hydro power stations)

I do have some vague memory in recent years of nuclear ships coming here but I think they must have just swung by as the noise from anti-nuclear protest would have been deafening if they had of docked and the current government is very left wing so wouldn't have allowed it.

Cheers

Bussty

2022-9-25
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 9-25 15:30
Hey Downtown, yes we went pretty hard on the anti-nuclear back in the day. I think it's kind of ingrained now in the culture here (non nuclear plus we have so many hydro power stations)

I do have some vague memory in recent years of nuclear ships coming here but I think they must have just swung by as the noise from anti-nuclear protest would have been deafening if they had of docked and the current government is very left wing so wouldn't have allowed it.

You're absolutely right.  I remember the USS Sampson did a port visit there about 6 years back but it is in fact non-nuclear powered.  No problem, the US Navy has always honored the requirements and laws of the hosting country during port visits.  

After seeing the extensive training and detailed operating procedures that our Nuclear Power Engineers go through and the built in safety precautions I was always quite comfortable serving on those vessels.  However, knowing how safe they can be there is always a minute possibility of a catastrophic accident and I can easily see why some countries say No Nukes.

2022-9-25
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-25 16:02
You're absolutely right.  I remember the USS Sampson did a port visit there about 6 years back but it is in fact non-nuclear powered.  No problem, the US Navy has always honored the requirements and laws of the hosting country during port visits.  

After seeing the extensive training and detailed operating procedures that our Nuclear Power Engineers go through and the built in safety precautions I was always quite comfortable serving on those vessels.  However, knowing how safe they can be there is always a minute possibility of a catastrophic accident and I can easily see why some countries say No Nukes.

Yes it was pretty easy for NZ to adopt that stance not being anywhere near a major threatening country and not being overly strategic in location but I'm betting would have been a different story had we been close to a threat.

I'm really hoping Hydrogen Power takes off ( excuse the pun   ) as long as they can make it relatively safe a country like NZ with an abundance of water and hydroelectricity is in a good position to manufacture something that comes from water and oxidizes to water, how environmentally friendly is that?  There's a face book post going around (not sure if it is true or not probably generated by the pro-hydrogen lobby groups :-) ) showing a local council strongly promoting e-vehicles then 6 months later  asking residents not to charge their cars at night as the grid couldn't handle it. Not to mention the issues  with the Lithium batteries. Just hope they don't end up being a massive environmental issue  around battery disposal. If the grid is going to be an issue they should only be promoted in countries where electric energy is greenly manufactured and in abundance otherwise enter hydrogen. I should be prime minister
2022-9-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very nice one!
2022-9-25
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

Thanks Montfrooij
2022-9-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 9-25 18:25
Yes it was pretty easy for NZ to adopt that stance not being anywhere near a major threatening country and not being overly strategic in location but I'm betting would have been a different story had we been close to a threat.

I'm really hoping Hydrogen Power takes off ( excuse the pun   ) as long as they can make it relatively safe a country like NZ with an abundance of water and hydroelectricity is in a good position to manufacture something that comes from water and oxidizes to water, how environmentally friendly is that?  There's a face book post going around (not sure if it is true or not probably generated by the pro-hydrogen lobby groups :-) ) showing a local council strongly promoting e-vehicles then 6 months later  asking residents not to charge their cars at night as the grid couldn't handle it. Not to mention the issues  with the Lithium batteries. Just hope they don't end up being a massive environmental issue  around battery disposal. If the grid is going to be an issue they should only be promoted in countries where electric energy is greenly manufactured and in abundance otherwise enter hydrogen. I should be prime minister

Mr. Prime Minister.  (does have a nice ring to it)  

Scientific research shows using hydrogen (H2) power can be a safe, clean and sustainable option to help de-carbonize our world.  So I hope we see more use of hydrogen power in the future.
2022-9-26
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-26 03:08
Mr. Prime Minister.  (does have a nice ring to it)  

Scientific research shows using hydrogen (H2) power can be a safe, clean and sustainable option to help de-carbonize our world.  So I hope we see more use of hydrogen power in the future.

Lol in my dreams...Prime Minister   But yes totally on point with that hydrogen vision
2022-9-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 9-26 03:21
Lol in my dreams...Prime Minister   But yes totally on point with that hydrogen vision

I thought you might get a kick out of that comment.  
2022-9-26
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-26 03:44
I thought you might get a kick out of that comment.

Ha ha yes.. nailed it
2022-9-26
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 9-26 11:02
Ha ha yes.. nailed it

Hurricane Ian is bearing down on Florida so I'm probably going to get my mini-yacht underway and follow the local Navy and Coast Guard ships as they sortie out of the harbor to avoid the heavy winds and wave pierside.  Wish me luck.
2022-9-27
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-27 02:46
Hurricane Ian is bearing down on Florida so I'm probably going to get my mini-yacht underway and follow the local Navy and Coast Guard ships as they sortie out of the harbor to avoid the heavy winds and wave pierside.  Wish me luck.

Just had a look on Zoom Earth!! Gulp!! Are you on the West or East side of Florida?

Travel safe and good luck!!
2022-9-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 9-27 03:02
Just had a look on Zoom Earth!! Gulp!! Are you on the West or East side of Florida?

Travel safe and good luck!!

East side Bussty.  Hurricane Ian definitely has a target set on Florida and is cutting a wide path with it's accompanying winds.  
2022-9-27
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-27 03:26
East side Bussty.  Hurricane Ian definitely has a target set on Florida and is cutting a wide path with it's accompanying winds.

Fingers crossed you miss the main track of Ian
2022-9-27
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 9-27 11:04
Fingers crossed you miss the main track of Ian

Due to Hurricane Ian's latest track I had to get my mini-yacht underway and I am about 150 NM east of the Florida coastline now.  Will probably go at least another 50-75 NM today.  Nothing but miles of ocean to look at for the next few days. Haven't been this far out on the ocean in a while so I'm just getting my "sea legs" back.  I did see a huge oil tanker pass me heading North early this morning so its not like I'm the only boat on the sea but it does have some solitude out here.  
2022-9-28
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

DowntownRDB Posted at 9-28 02:07
Due to Hurricane Ian's latest track I had to get my mini-yacht underway and I am about 150 NM east of the Florida coastline now.  Will probably go at least another 50-75 NM today.  Nothing but miles of ocean to look at for the next few days. Haven't been this far out on the ocean in a while so I'm just getting my "sea legs" back.  I did see a huge oil tanker pass me heading North early this morning so its not like I'm the only boat on the sea but it does have some solitude out here.

Wow that's incredible, so exactly where are you on this map...?

Does this mean if Ian decides to head East you have to go further out East? Quite cool and scary at the same time but sounds like given your experience you will be super prepared for anything.

Looks like it's a very good thing you are on the East Coast.  Stay safe and great you can check in like this on satellite internet I'm guessing.

Cheers

Bussty
2022-9-28
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Bussty Posted at 9-28 02:33
Wow that's incredible, so exactly where are you on this map...?
[view_image]

Yeah, I'm using Elon Musk's Starlink satellite internet service.  Not the fastest speed but very stable.

My property and pier is about halfway between St. Augustine and Jacksonville.  Right now I'm located off the map you posted far to the right.  I'll probably go another 50 NM east today but I'm well away from the prevailing Hurricane winds.  I'll keep an eye out for the Hurricane to change directions but I'm far enough out and have plenty of time to move again if needed.   Does appear that the Hurricane is going to cut through Florida and then ride the coastline right up the rest of the US.  To get to where I'm at now it would have to change directions drastically.

I have the latest Navigation and Radar System available onboard and everything is pretty much computer controlled so I just have to monitor the displays and scan the horizon in all directions.  I don't even have a steering wheel but I do have a really cool joystick when manual control is desired.
2022-9-28
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
New Zealand

You are way out there!  Halfway to Africa    I think you have made a good decision looks like Ian is going to track not far from your place.  You seem to be a good distance away. Boat sounds amazing. You enjoy and hopefully you get to just chill and watch Ian head North. Hope your property on land gets though OK. Oh and thanks Elon

2022-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules