Burnout crash
953 6 2015-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hungrydude5
lvl.2
United States

so, one of my motors seized in flight and the P2 took a nasty crash.  Found it after it hit the edge of a roof and rolled into some weeds.  Doesn't look pretty.  Is this worth fixing?  Affordable?  I bought the P2 used, and honestly getting tired of small things leading to big problems. The arm is melted as you can see.  I think I'd rather get a new P2 instead of messing with this one.  Only thing is it has an FPV system that the original owner installed and I don't know how to do install one.  Thanks for looking

Ben
image.jpg
image.jpg
2015-8-9
Use props
Barney Rubbel
Second Officer
United States

When you say a FPV was installed, what exactly does that mean? Is it a P2 or a P2V+ with an after market FPV system? If you're not sure, does it use a GoPro? You can replace the shell and the motor, I'm not sure what those cost, I don't thing the motor is all that much, but the shell might be somewhat pricey. You'd need to completely disassemble it.
The new P3s (as do/did the P2V+) come with FPV for your phone or some tablets. I don't have one yet, but would really one! If you don't like messing with it, I'd buy a P3 and see if you can maybe get a coupla hundred bucks for your P2. Just one persons opinion.

Barney
2015-8-9
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

You can get a new she'll for around $65.00 and a motor for approx $20. And the ESC for under 20.00. If nothing else is wrong that's a cheep fix with a little time.
2015-8-9
Use props
hungrydude5
lvl.2
United States

AVL58 and IOSd mini was installed.  I don't know how to install either of these.  I ended up getting a new phantom and plan to rebuild this one.  I got this one used, so I don't know if anything went wrong before I purchased it.  So I bought new this time.  I also bought a FPV hub, hoping to make installation of the FPV items listed above easier.  It's a phantom 2, non vision.  Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal with a Hero4.  What happened right before the motor stopped I tilted the gimbal straight down, would that have to do with anything?  I wouldn't think so, but a power issue perhaps?  Just a guess!

Ben
2015-8-10
Use props
hungrydude5
lvl.2
United States

Well, the FPV hub was pretty idiot proof.  Flew the new phantom 2 ver 2 today, which I suggest to anyone wanting to purchase a phantom 2 and a zenmuse gimbal, and freaking is flawless.  So far, haha.  No prop guards anymore either, pretty sure those long screws eventually "ate" my motor.  

Ben
2015-8-13
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Glad your back up and Flying .Now you can take your time and rebuild the ole gal and have a back up.
2015-8-16
Use props
rixlumb1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

For some reason , having flawless flights on my P2 V2,  since Jan 2015, even after adding walkera G2d gimbal, iosd mini,  and a SJCAM5000+ for  HD recording and video out for FPV to a 200mW 5.8g TX, mine seemed to jerk around while hovering shortly after take off.
It lost height rapidly and did try the failsafe switch, the only response from that was the leds changed to yellow  which told me it still was seeing the transmitter. It crashed into a dry reed bed from a height of  6 metres.
After it went down I locked the throttle down to power down the motors. When it was found in the long reeds, could still hear the motor/s trying to turn (A guy with a P3 hovered over it until it was rescued), 3 of the motors had melted into the plastic shell.
After opening it up I found 1 ESC had total burnt out and blackened inside housing, melted all its cables together, one motor survived completely along with the ESC.
I had very recently fitted an ASSAN SBD4 decoder into the receiver output so I could pick off the Gimbal Pitch control before it got modified by the Flight controller (which adds its own leveling offset to the pitch and roll outputs on F1 & F2) as the Walkera G2D has its own levelling system built in.
I believe what happened was, the extra wires/connectors inside was pushing down on the edge of the main board just over the receiver and the top of the brass antenna connectors was vibrating on the underside of the main board right on the Motor feed point and eventually the vibration wore away the painted surface coating and began intermittently shorting the +12v feed, which caused a drop on that motor, the opposite motor tried to correct by reducing power which caused it to jerk about & drop.
There is only a fraction of a mm between the two boards and WITHOUT any sort of  insulation.
So a plastic insulator will be fitted after I replace 3 x motors and ESC's , the body shell, the taller skids which absorbed a lot of the force as the camera gimbal and camera were still working fine.
Cost to repair  £121 or $190 plus  postage from the states...cheaper than a new one......
But I may still buy a basic P3 as well.
IMG_20150816_164305.JPG
IMG_20150816_165055.JPG
IMG_20150816_165258.JPG
IMG_20150816_165342.JPG
2015-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules