Video of gimbal malfunction, help please!
5358 30 2014-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gamecatcher
lvl.1

United States

I am on my second P2 with H3-3D gimbal. I am quite tech savy, and still can not figure out why both of these units have malfunctioned. Best way to describe it is on video.

Some preemptive answers to questions that are bound to come up.

1. P2 and H3-3D gimbal are new out of the box. Never flown, never even installed props.
2. All firmware is updated on RC and P2.
3. Power cycled P2, RC, the Phantom, Macbook, the apps even.
4. Done configuration and advanced configuration.
5. Went to sleep, tried again when I woke up in case it was a bad dream.

Here is the video with narration.

2014-12-3
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

I don't have that model but I notice you switch the bird on before the controller.  There is a precise startup sequence in the manual which says 1.RC, 2 range extender, 3 phantom.  I don't know if your calibration followed this sequence but the sequence is stated for a reason and I wonder if this might be a cause?
2014-12-3
Use props
josephbobowicz
lvl.4

United Kingdom

What version of the Zen IMU are you running firmware wise? I upgraded mine to 1.0.0.6 reason being to use the tilt dial available on the new transmitter that DJI has out with precision. It is my understanding that version of the firmware is not compatible with using a lever. I am talking about a P2V+ V2 I see you have a P2. Perhaps a firmware update issue?
2014-12-3
Use props
Gamecatcher
lvl.1

United States

Firmware versions 1.0.2.10 and 3.08
2014-12-3
Use props
Gamecatcher
lvl.1

United States

rod@voxvideopro Posted at 2014-12-4 04:45
I don't have that model but I notice you switch the bird on before the controller.  There is a preci ...

I will re-try the calibration in this sequence.
2014-12-3
Use props
Gamecatcher
lvl.1

United States

rod@voxvideopro Posted at 2014-12-4 04:45
I don't have that model but I notice you switch the bird on before the controller.  There is a preci ...

Does the RC need to be on when doing the calibration and advanced calibration?
2014-12-3
Use props
rod
Second Officer

New Zealand

Gamecatcher Posted at 2014-12-4 05:54
Does the RC need to be on when doing the calibration and advanced calibration?

Oh yes for sure! There are some really good videos to take you through the update/calibration sequence- have a search on youtube, they will show you specifically the correct sequence for connecting, switching on/ off and in what order.  The order is important because if not followed, no update actually gets locked in.. EDIT: you have installed the windows drivers ? this must be done with the drone connected, and before any attempt to update. EDIT 2.  I see you are using a mac so ignore my windows drivers comment!
2014-12-3
Use props
Gamecatcher
lvl.1

United States

Tried it with the RC on first, then P2 then calibration, then advanced calibration ... no change.
2014-12-3
Use props
Gamecatcher
lvl.1

United States

DJI? Where are you? Any advice?
2014-12-4
Use props
gil
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1379308 ft
United States

Hmmm, if this a newly purchased Phantom I'm surprised you got a v2 with the basic transmitter.  In any case here are a few things to try:
   a1)  Go to the RC tab under Basic -- your transmitter should be set for basic;
   a2)  look at the X1 sticks monitor in the upper right next -- does it change when you move the gimbal lever?
   a3)  click the REV button; does the X1 sticks monitor move when you move the gimbal lever?

b1) go to the gimbal tab under advanced and center all sliders
   b2) use your mouse to slide the vertical limit back and forth completely -- does your gimbal move?
   b3) if you're still not getting a full range of movement find that "sweet spot" where you got some movement, leave the lever in that spot and retry a2, a3, b1, b2

You mentioned this is your second Phantom, you could try binding the transmitter from the other Phantom to the new one and see if you get any different response.

Lastly, there is an update for the controller -- "Phantom RC Assistant Software v1.2" where you plug the usb directly into the transmitter and go through the calibration procedures.  However, they haven't gotten around to releasing the MAC version yet...

By the way you're not the first to have problems with your gimbal and if none of these suggestions help I'd say you've got a defective potientometer in the gimbal control.  If this is a new purchase you should send it back under warranty.  OH, and tell them to send you an upgrade version as a replacement!

Transmitter&gimbal.gif
2014-12-4
Use props
DJI-Jolie
lvl.2

China

Gamecatcher Posted at 2014-12-4 22:32
DJI? Where are you? Any advice?

Dear Gamecatcher,

I would also like to ask you to do the steps suggested by gil first. Further problem, pls feel free to let us know.
2014-12-4
Use props
michael.haws
lvl.2

United States

I have the exact same issue ... so am hoping you find a solution for both of us !!!!
2014-12-4
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

Well, there's good new  and then there's bad news.

I was able to duplicate your problem (and this could be considered both good and bad)  Good in the sense I believe I identified the problem and bad is the fact that I hosed a remote in the process!

Basically I'm betting you did an unneeded upgrade to your transmitter.  The RC assistant screen capture below shows firmware 1.0.1.24 available for the 2.4G transmitter.  Note the text in red "Only for the new remote control".  I noted in your video that when you turn your transmitter on the light turns green and it beeps three times.  Exactly what mind did after I installed this update -- and it duplicated your issue.  (A transmitter without that update has a red light and no beeps)

The good news is that the issue is in the transmitter and not the Zenmuse IMU so your gimbal should be ok.  Fortunate for me I have a Phantom 1 which also uses a 2.4Ghz transmitter.  So, I was able to link my transmitter from the Phantom 1 to the Phantom 2 and the gimbal function magically returned to normal! (Since my Phantom 1 does not have a gimbal I then linked the "hosed" transmitter to the Phantom 1 and the balance to my Phantom universe was restored )

As for your solution, uhhh...  Earlier I suggested a few things; First, don't bother with the "Phantom RC Assistant Software v1.2" when and if DJI releases a Mac version -- it does not fix the problem.  Second, I suggested linking the transmitter from your first Phantom just as I did.  However, if you've sent that Phantom back then that is not an option; or if you did the unneeded update on the first transmitter as well, you're back in the same hole.  Third, unless DJI releases some kind of software/firmware fix that will revert the transmitter back to an earlier version... well, you're going to need another transmitter.  (THAT IS A HINT DJI ! !  FIRMWARE TIME TUNNEL REVERSION OPTION -- ARE YOU GUYS READING THIS?)  

At least if you do have to get a replacement you have the option of getting one of the update versions with the thumbwheel (2.4Ghz RC) (Heyyyyy, I wonder if that last firmware release was a evil plot by DJI to sell new transmitters to all those people who mistakenly ran the update without noticing the red letters!  Hmmmm...)

DJI RC Assistant 1.2 upgrade.gif
2014-12-5
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

Its absolutely mind boggling that DJI doesnt offer Firmware rollback options.
Imagine how many headaches would go away if you could easily rollback any firmware you installed to any previous firmware update you did?
Come on DJI...this cant be that hard to do.
2014-12-5
Use props
Gamecatcher
lvl.1

United States

gil, great info. Thanks for taking the time to go through the process of writing it all down, then hosing a transmitter. Way to "Take one for the team!"

How is one supposed to know if he has a "new transmitter" when he isn't aware that such a beast even exists? I wasn't aware there was a new transmitter. Since mine came out of the box, in my mind ... well of course! This is a NEW TRANSMITTER! Why would a new unit not ship with a NEW TRANSMITTER!

Ok, seriously, no way to get an older firmware version?

I bought this from B&H Photo. They took the old one back and swapped out complete units (and paid ALL SHIPPING). They have been wonderful to deal with. I have bought almost all of my video and camera equipment from them in the past and I will not buy camera equipment from anyone but them in the future. I informed them of the problem and they gave me some leeway on the return policy based on the fact that I am having issues.

You could not ask for better service than that. I do not want to return this. I want one that works! The brief time that I had my old one running, I got some great footage. But I am not going to run this one out of my "return policy window." If no fix is available, I am not going to be stuck with a bird I can not fly in hopes that a fix is "on the way".
2014-12-5
Use props
rare1a1
lvl.2

United States

Game if I can jump in here; I just binded the "updated" 5.6 radio to the pv2+.  I get two beeps when I turn on radio.  I used assistant 1.2 for the initial radio cal. I had held off on the zen imu update with the old radio but just updated it to the current version so as to work with the new radio.  What's intriguing is that I don't have a "gimbal" tab under advanced.  Just shows battery and limits..  Only one caveat is that my phantom battery was around 20% when I did the advanced imu cal.  I will recharge and redo the advanced imu cal.  
The only other observation is that the dial on my updated radio returns to center automatically instead of staying at various positions.. I bought it on eBay so I'm wondering if it's a truly updated gimbal wheel radio
2014-12-5
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

B&H rocks!  

Wish DJI would copy B&H's customer service model!  
2014-12-5
Use props
uptowndisco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7394987 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rare1a1@gmail.c Posted at 2014-12-6 09:35
Game if I can jump in here; I just binded the "updated" 5.6 radio to the pv2+.  I get two beeps when ...

The wheel is supposed to return to centre.
2014-12-5
Use props
rare1a1
lvl.2

United States

Think I'm all set boys, I may have forgotten to completely uninstall 1.1 before loading 1.2!  I'm liking the gimbal wheel!  Game you're best path forward is go ahead and purchase the new radio, IMHO.  G/l
2014-12-5
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

You asked "how is one supposed to know" -- no simple answer I'm afraid.  As you've likely discovered by now there is a lot of useful information here on the forum (but it does require some sifting to find the good stuff, huh?)  Periodically browsing the DJI website is also beneficial to discover what is new -- I ordered my last Phantom directly from DJI on 10/28/2014 which was the first day they had the improved versions available!  

I don't know when your ordered your Phantom from B&H Photo but they may have simply been sending out units they had sitting in their inventory and unless you specifically asked beforehand if it was an updated version, they sent you what they had on hand.  If you decide to return this system it would be worthwhile to ask about getting the v3 version, even if you had to pay a bit more.  The updated transmitter is not the only thing thats improved. There are also new motors, propellers, and ESCs that provide more lift as well as an updated compass Phantom 2 features

Considering how many people are replacing their RC in order to get the updated v3 version, there is probably a glut of transmitters on eBay that you can pick up cheaply.  I saw one for $39.50 earlier today -- DJI Phantom 2 DJ6 Radio Controller Remote/Transmitter 2.4 ghz W/Gimbal Control  (I would recommend asking the seller if they have done any updates to it!)  

As far as waiting/hoping/praying DJI will provide a software fix to restore to a previous version (ahhh grasshopper, what is the sound of one hand clapping, can you hear the grass grow...)

2014-12-6
Use props
rare1a1
lvl.2

United States

Well put Gil and I suppose I'll list my standard tx on eBay too.  I'm still rather perplexed as to why in my phantom assist. I lack the Gimbal tab under Advanced..
2014-12-6
Use props
humboldt710
lvl.2

United States

I remember this happening to me. There is a strict procedure to upgrading and if done out of order it will do this. If I remember correctly I had to use RC Assistant to recalibrate my RC then it worked fine. Try that, then when I get back later I will see if I can remember exactly how the sequence went.
2014-12-6
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

rare1a1 -- this thread has been referring to a Phantom 2 with H3-3D gimbal.  Perhaps you have a Phantom 2 Vision+?
2014-12-6
Use props
rare1a1
lvl.2

United States

^ correct sir. Had the same symptoms though.
2014-12-6
Use props
DJI-szz
lvl.1

China

Dear Gamecatcher,
      here is DJI tech support.Sorry for reply lately.
Some advices as below:
1、please download the Phantom 2 Assistant Software v3.6 and DJI WIN Driver Installer
by visitting the following web site:
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2/download
2、please install assistant software and driver installer,then connect the PC with the phantom 2,
start the Phantom 2 Assistant Software v3.6,and enter the BASIC/RC interface, start calibration X1 X2,
and A E T R channels. please make sure all the channels are correctly calibrated.

Please contact with me if need help.    Best wishes!
2014-12-7
Use props
gil
Second Officer
United States

Gamecatcher -- I fixed the gimbal problem with a special transmitter calibration!

RESOLUTION!  TRANSMITTER CALIBRATION WITHOUT SOFTWARE (stand alone, does not use RC System Assistant or Phantom 2 Vision Assistant -- ( I just revised the instruction a bit to hopefully make it a bit easier to follow, credit goes to "w-nils" for initially posting this gem to the forum!)

1)  Set switch S2 at the OFF position; Switch S2 at the GPS position

2) Push both the THROTTLE and PITCH stick to the top position and hold them there.

3) Turn on the POWER switch.  You should hear the indicator sound of "Di--Di Di" from the transmitter repeatedly.
    -> Toggle switch S2 into the CL position, you should hear an indicator sound of "Di" from the transmitter, in this case the transmitter has entered the calibration mode.
         (THROTTLE and PITCH stick must have been kept in the top position all during this time)

4)  Release the THROTTLE and PITCH sticks and make sure they return to the center position.
    -> Toggle switch S1 to the bottom ATTI position; you should hear an indicator sound of "Di" from the transmitter.  
    -> Move all of the sticks throughout their complete range several times.
        (for those remotes equipped with a throttle lock this means complete movement through the throttle lock position)
    -> Don't forget to move the GIMBAL CONTROL DIAL through it's complete range of movement as well.
    -> After this, put the THROTTLE stick to the bottom position and toggle switch S2 to the HL position, you should hear an indicator sound of "Di" from the transmitter.  
        In this case the transmitter has been calibrated successfully

5)  Turn transmitter off.

Afterwards, go into the Phantom 2 Vision Assistant, run the X1 sticks calibration, set the vertical and horizontal limits and see what happens.  I was able to fix that remote that I thought was hosed with the above procedure.

TransmitterCalibration - switches.png
2014-12-8
Use props
Gamecatcher
lvl.1

United States

DJI-szz Posted at 2014-12-8 15:03
Dear Gamecatcher,
      here is DJI tech support.Sorry for reply lately.
Some advices as below:

Ok, I'm running a MAC so I downloaded the newest 3.6 version. Will give that a go and see what happens.
2014-12-8
Use props
Gamecatcher
lvl.1

United States

gil,

Thanks. That's a heck of a way to calibrate! Have not tried it yet. I will if the new 3.6 version of the PT aassistant doesn't help.

I tried again with some RC calibration, and managed to "improve" (not fix) the problem. While calibrating the remote, I also ran the gimal control arm back and forth. It helped, but didn't quite fix it.

Here is another interesting problem. The bracket that holds to GoPro in place was broken when I took it out of it's case this morning. I thought I was very careful not to overtighten it. Considering it has never been flown that concerns me on the bracket. One side broken, the other side cracked. A very delicate piece!

I see the bracket is backordered from the manufacturer. I ordered two in case it happens again. Don't need to drop a $400 camera in the middle of nowhere!
2014-12-8
Use props
Gamecatcher
lvl.1

United States

I downloaded the new assistant, v3.6 (I believe), and went under the "Basic" tab then click the "RC" button below it, then look for the "Transmitter Version" in the very center of the app. It was already set to "Basic Version" which is what mine is.

This one also has an "X1 calibration" button, and it worked! Yipee! now I can install my props and go fly away!

But wait, I power cycled it and now it is making a horrible screeching noise. Gimbal control is now not as good as before and it screeches, grinds and twitches.

Hook up remote, run RC assistant and calibrate remote INCLUDING X1! (even though we calibrated that in the P2 assistant.) Run the lever back and forth just like when you calibrate the sticks.

It seems to work now. Will install props and see what happens. This thing still has not left the ground once. Spent hours trying to get the gimbal working.

Thanks to everyone here for their advice and assistance. Makes this forum a very valuable place for those poor confused Phantom owners (like me).

Hope this helps others who were in the same boat as I was in.

A special shout out to gil, dude, your skills amaze me. Strong work my friend.
2014-12-8
Use props
DJI-szz
lvl.1

China

Gamecatcher Posted at 2014-12-9 05:28
I downloaded the new assistant, v3.6 (I believe), and went under the "Basic" tab then click the "RC" ...

Congratulation! my friend, DJI hope you enjoy flying time and beautiful view.

Welcome to share your video and happy life.
2014-12-8
Use props
kjkisatsky
lvl.3

United States

I love engrish!
2014-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules