Video and 3D Models
1662 14 2015-8-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Ive not had the opportunity to gain any stills from videos yet but wondered if someone might be able to help;

Are the stills obtained from videos files with geo tags on?

Is there a way to take all stills out of a video in one swoop?

IF the above are both yes, then could a 3d model be made with greater clarity than those you see posted by doing it this way?

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks
2015-8-9
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Video only has spatial reference in the accompanying srt file if you turn that option on.
Lat/long is updated every second, which would not be great for models.

Still images have spatial tags in the exif header.

Search the forum, this has been covered before
2015-8-10
Use props
bdmartens
lvl.2

Canada

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Co ... ogrammetry_software

Look through these applications - some of them are designed to make 3d meshes from video footage.

I haven't looked into those particular applications, but the problem may already be solved for you.
2015-8-10
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Bubo,

I use Final Cut Pro just review your video, tag as many points as you wish during the video then export as an xml using this software.  It will extract multiple images direct from the video.

fcpxImageExporter

See also :
http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/ ... pximageexporter-app
2015-8-10
Use props
pa.hug2012
lvl.1
Flight distance : 611027 ft
United Kingdom

Interesting GB44.  What is the quality like when extracting the stills from video, compared to normal stills?
2015-8-12
Use props
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Thanks for your help folks, much appreciated.
2015-8-14
Use props
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Farnk666 Posted at 2015-8-10 21:59
Video only has spatial reference in the accompanying srt file if you turn that option on.
Lat/long i ...

Thanks mate, I did try searching and have seen discussions on it before but had no joy tbh, hence query. I suppose it depends what people put in the subject of posts and if your close enough in your search.

Can you advise how you turn that function on please?
2015-8-14
Use props
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

bdmartens Posted at 2015-8-10 23:43
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_photogrammetry_software

Look through these applications ...

That's great, thanks!
2015-8-14
Use props
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-8-11 00:28
Bubo,

I use Final Cut Pro just review your video, tag as many points as you wish during the video  ...

Thanks GB44, I'm in debate over Final Cut Pro and others as I'm on a PC rather than Mac. But could be willing to flip to Mac just for this process in due course.

Do you think doing your extract way is onerous or well worth it for the results? Doesn't sound too bad just tagging pics.

People need a different level of results and will gain varying degrees of satisfaction, which is cool but I'm hoping for a bit better than I've seen so far.

I would like to provide

- 3-d imagery
- Convert the imagery to CAD for adaptations by architects
- Make 3-d models of existing buildings
- Once drawings adapted for any refurb or alterations, then make a 3-d model of the proposed

I can't see that happening at the minute with the results people are getting since they are having sections of facades missing and I need to show building features like gables, parapets, projections etc etc

But maybe I'm only seeing people's initial try's, not sure.

Or maybe people havnt undertaken as many photos I envisage taking (100's / 1000's) for correct results that need, hence video query as an additional smart way to achieve.

How good are your results with the video stills?

Do you think I could achieve what I'm looking for or need to implement some other processes to it?
2015-8-14
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

pa.hug2012 Posted at 2015-8-13 02:47
Interesting GB44.  What is the quality like when extracting the stills from video, compared to norma ...

The results are generally ok.  You can obviously take a still manually and get a 12MP quality.  When extracting from the 4K video the quality of the still will drop to about 8MP.
2015-8-14
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

bubo_bubo Posted at 2015-8-14 16:41
Thanks GB44, I'm in debate over Final Cut Pro and others as I'm on a PC rather than Mac. But could ...

Bubo,

Its a very easy process to extract multiple stills from FCP with the software I gave the link to. If I can do it anyone could.  It is as simple as pressing the M key at any point in the film then simply extracting all the tagged points.  The software will convert them to Jpegs.

I also understand that Pix4D are in the process of developing a Mac version of there software which is currently on PC only.  They also have indicated that they are working on the use of 4K video being used directly.  

I just wish that DJI would realise an update for the camera that would allow still images at full 12MP every two seconds.  This would make it much easier when wishing to capture stills for 3D models and upload into software for 3D generation etc. building facades included.

Where in the UK are you ?

PM me if you want to discuss privately.
2015-8-14
Use props
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-8-15 00:13
Bubo,

Its a very easy process to extract multiple stills from FCP with the software I gave the li ...

Hi GB44,

Sorry meant to come back to you sooner...I will PM you, I think we are in the same neck of the woods.
2015-8-19
Use props
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

bubo_bubo Posted at 2015-8-20 00:54
Hi GB44,

Sorry meant to come back to you sooner...I will PM you, I think we are in the same neck  ...

On second thoughts....How do you PM on here?

haha cheers
2015-8-19
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

Canada

bubo_bubo Posted at 2015-8-20 00:56

haha cheers

I just went through all that. See this post http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid187480

Before you get started you have send a friend request to the individual and they have to respond, then you can pm them. Watch the video that Dundee posted in the thread. You would never have figured this out by yourself.
2015-8-19
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

bubo_bubo Posted at 2015-8-20 00:56

haha cheers

Just sent you an invitation to connect as a friend then you will be able to PM
2015-8-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules