Phantom 3 and Inspire 1 .DAT file to CSV conversion
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

We needed to get a little more data out of the .DAT files than we had previously provided for testing our Map Pilot app. It came time for us to do a full CSV output for the Inspire 1 and Phantom 3 .DAT files. We previously had only posted a KML converter and had a live plot of the flight route, altitude and speed.

Maps Made Easy Log Viewer and CSV Converter for DJI internal data recorder .DAT files

We were able to sort out what most of the numbers were and did some processing to be able to provide the accurate Roll, Pitch and Yaw numbers like we did for the A2 flight controller.

Here is what is included in the output:
    •    Latitude (Deg)
    •    Longitude (Deg)
    •    GPS Altitude (m)
    •    N Velocity (m/s)
    •    E Velocity (m/s)
    •    D Velocity (m/s)
    •    Velocity (m/s)
    •    Ground Speed (m/s)
    •    Accelerometer X (g)
    •    Accelerometer Y (g)
    •    Accelerometer Z (g)
    •    GyroX (rad/s)
    •    GyroY (rad/s)
    •    GyroZ (rad/s)
    •    Barometric Alt (m)
    •    Quaternion X
    •    Quaternion Y
    •    Quaternion Z
    •    Quaternion W
    •    Roll (deg)
    •    Pitch (deg)
    •    Yaw (deg)
    •    Magnetic X
    •    Magnetic Y
    •    Magnetic Z
    •    Satellites
    •    Sequence

We know that there are a lot of other numbers in the file at way higher refresh rates but these seem to be the useful ones.

You can see the initial posting here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2421753
2015-8-9
Use props
ShintaroKoga
New

Japan

Could you kindly let me know the following points?

1. Roll / Pitch / Yaw (deg):  Do these parameter mean the angle of the camera or the drone itself?
2. Magnetic X / Y / Z: What do they mean? and the unit?
3. Sequence: Could you explain it in detail?

Thank you.

2015-12-24
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

ShintaroKoga Posted at 2015-12-24 00:28
Could you kindly let me know the following points?

1. Roll / Pitch / Yaw (deg):  Do these parameter ...

1. These are aircraft numbers.
2. All of these numbers are the same that are reported in the DJI Exporter tool. We don't actually know exactly what this is but suspect that it is the raw sensor readout of the 3D compass.
3. This is the internal time tag.  It appears to be roughly 135 Hz. It might not be a timetag at all though and might just be a unique message number.
2015-12-24
Use props
ShintaroKoga
New

Japan

MapsMadeEasy Posted at 2015-12-25 00:12
2. All of these numbers are the same that are reported in the DJI E ...

Thank you so much for your reply.
2016-1-5
Use props
ShintaroKoga
New

Japan

MapsMadeEasy Posted at 2015-12-25 00:12
2. All of these numbers are the same that are reported in the DJI E ...

Please let me ask one more question...

What does (Roll, Pitch, Yaw) = (0,0,0) mean? I would like to know the direction the aircraft facing if (0,0,0) [deg].

Thanks in advance.
2016-1-6
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

ShintaroKoga Posted at 2016-1-6 23:05
Please let me ask one more question...

What does (Roll, Pitch, Yaw) = (0,0,0) mean? I would like  ...

Don't know for sure. It has been a while since we did it but this should be level, facing north, with no roll.

Testing is probably the best way to find out!
2016-1-7
Use props
ShintaroKoga
New

Japan

MapsMadeEasy Posted at 2016-1-8 01:12
Don't know for sure. It has been a while since we did it but this should be level, facing north, w ...

Thank you.
As you say, it may be that it facing north.

I appreciate for your help.

Shintaro
2016-1-8
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

Good stuff. Thanks for reporting back.
2016-1-8
Use props
gernot.baier
lvl.2
Flight distance : 156598 ft
Austria

Dear Mr. Maps,

We are using the DJI Phantom3 for Surveeing. At the Moment we are very thankfull for ur Little Programm so that we can read out the DAT file ;D

One Question still remains unsolved. Which of these Parameters are the ones descrybing the gimbal / Kamera Orientation (the way the Kamera is looking to a certain timepoint?)

is the Quaternion meant to be this?

Hopeing for a fast replay

Gernot Baier
2016-1-19
Use props
MapsMadeEasy
lvl.4
United States

Mr Maps... I like that.
The Quaternion is just another way of stating the roll pitch yaw. We haven't found (or really tried to look for) the gimbal position so it isn't in there. There are a lot of roll pitch yaw numbers hidden in the images tags if you dig for them. You might be able to find the information you are looking for there.
2016-1-19
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

Gimbal Info

gernot.baier Posted at 2016-1-19 10:20
Dear Mr. Maps,

We are using the DJI Phantom3 for Surveeing. At the Moment we are very thankfull for ...

You can find that info on Healtyh Drones by looking at the Photos Tab on the General Page
Healthydrones_gimbal_info.jpg
2016-1-19
Use props
gernot.baier
lvl.2
Flight distance : 156598 ft
Austria

i already did know that from healthy drohnes the only Problem there is.  That it is only the horizontal direction of the camera not the vertikal one i would Need both to work that out succsesfully

Still it Looks completely different on your Screen there. Might have to look over that side again to find out whats going on there

Thanks for your help guys

A lot of People are looking for stuff in the meta-files of that PHantom. Still only a small part of them are really taking courage into finding stuff. So your doing a great Job
2016-1-19
Use props
hummingbird.uav
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Thanks for sharing this data translation tool.     It would be very helpful if the battery voltage and battery temperature were added to the output.
2016-1-21
Use props
[RCG]Balthazar
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475371 ft
Norway

gernot.baier Posted at 2016-1-20 07:03
i already did know that from healthy drohnes  the only Problem there is.  That it is only the hori ...

Note that this info is from the app's .txt log file and not the birds .dat
2016-1-25
Use props
Ze German
lvl.1

Germany

Who can make that with a .DAT-.CSV ?

Tick#,time,Longitude,Latitude,numSats,gpsAltitude(meters),accelX(M/S2),accelY(M/S2),accelZ(M/S2),gyroX(degrees/s),gyroY(degrees/s),gyroZ(degrees/s),magX,magY,magZ,magMod,baroAlt(meters),velN(M/S),velE(M/S),velD(M/S),vel(M/S),Roll,Pitch,Yaw,distancHP(M),distanceTravelled(M),Current,Volt1,Volt2,Volt3,Volt4,totalVolts,voltSpread,Watts,batteryTemp(C),ratedCapacity,remaingCapacity,minCurrent,maxCurrent,avgCurrent,minVolts,maxVolts,avgVolts,minWatts,maxWatts,avgWatts,MotorCmnd:RFront,MotorCmndFront,MotorCmndBack,MotorCmnd:RBack,MotorSpeed:RFront,MotorSpeedFront,MotorSpeedBack,MotorSpeed:RBack,MotorLoad:RFront,MotorLoadFront,MotorLoadBack,MotorLoad:RBack,Control:Aileron,Control:Elevator,Control:Throttle,Control:Rudder,Control:ModeSwitch,MysteryTemp,flightMode,flightMode.string,flightRegime,flightRegime.string,navMode,navMode.string  
2016-1-28
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ze German Posted at 2016-1-28 16:39
Who can make that with a .DAT-.CSV ?

Tick#,time,Longitude,Latitude,numSats,gpsAltitude(meters),acce ...

DatCon was used to generate this. DatCon is an offline .DAT converter. It's installed on your PC, Mac, or Linnux and the .DAT is converted to a .CSV locally. I.e., you don't have to upload the .DAT and then download the .csv. DatCon is free and can be obtained here
2016-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules