Buy drone from Amazon? DJI? B&H? Elsewhere?
3942 10 2022-9-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dronerat
lvl.1
United States

Hello--
I want to buy a Mavic Air 2S (probably Fly More combo) and am undecided about where to buy it from. I want to avoid getting a drone with defects or anything that was previously opened and resold as new. In the case that I am unlucky enough to get a unit with a defect/problem, I want to be able to easily return/exchange it.

Amazon is convenient, but I have gotten a few defective/damaged items from them in the past. DJI is the manufacturer, but they do not have a generous return policy compared to places like Amazon and B&H. I'm uncertain how reliable/good their service is or if there are any guarantees concerning defects beyond the brief initial return period?

What is the best retailer to buy a drone from? Are there any other criteria I should consider?
2022-9-30
Use props
sduck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4315098 ft
United States

B&H, Best Buy or direct from DJI would be my first choices. If you order form the DJI store within amazon you'll probably be fine.
2022-9-30
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

If you are a Prime member, Amazon. No shipping charges. Very easy to return.
2022-9-30
Use props
sh0wtime_FPV
lvl.3
Flight distance : 209547 ft
United Kingdom

I bought direct from DJI the last few times. seems ok..

2022-9-30
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

if you are in the united states, any product that you buy as new will have a manufacturers warranty against defects.  nobody will sell you a previously opened (sold) drone as new since that would be illegal.  all drones comes from dji so regardless who you buy it from, it's all the same.  perhaps you should get more familiar with the help that your credit card would provide should you run into an issue that you cannot resolve with the seller.  otherwise, buy it from "anywhere."
2022-9-30
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've bought from all the places you've mentioned and not had any issues with any returns.  However, recently I bought an Air 2S bundled with the RC Pro controller from DroneNerds.com.  They have quick shipping and excellent customer service.  They do follow up contacts to make sure you don't have any problems with the product.  I'll definitely buy my next DJI product from DroneNerds.  No, I don't work there but just wanted to let you know how great they have been.
2022-10-1
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-1 08:19
I've bought from all the places you've mentioned and not had any issues with any returns.  However, recently I bought an Air 2S bundled with the RC Pro controller from DroneNerds.com.  They have quick shipping and excellent customer service.  They do follow up contacts to make sure you don't have any problems with the product.  I'll definitely buy my next DJI product from DroneNerds.  No, I don't work there but just wanted to let you know how great they have been.

unfortunately i wont buy from dronenerds any more.  they no longer have their customer 5% discount coupon code available and they recently started charging sales tax for my state.  for me, that means close to a 15% increase which really adds up.  still too many other places that dont charge sales tax so they're off my list.  however, when i did buy from them, everything was fine.
2022-10-1
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Saint Posted at 10-1 09:05
unfortunately i wont buy from dronenerds any more.  they no longer have their customer 5% discount coupon code available and they recently started charging sales tax for my state.  for me, that means close to a 15% increase which really adds up.  still too many other places that dont charge sales tax so they're off my list.  however, when i did buy from them, everything was fine.

I hear that.  They've always given me a military discount but I do have to pay the taxes. I guess I could go the B&H tax work around route but as a retired attorney I'm skeptical of that gray area.   

I was in a courtroom a few years back waiting for the next case to be called for the client I was representing and I heard the judge telling the defendant (who by the way was an attorney representing himself) to not even try to plead ignorance of the law he broke.  Way back in law school I was taught that "a lawyer who represents himself in court has a fool for a client."

Anyway, hope you are having a great weekend The Saint.  
2022-10-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI members here. You may also want to check the link below for you to see other authorize retailers within your area. Thank you for your valued support.

https://www.dji.com/where-to-buy/retail-stores
2022-10-1
Use props
dronerat
lvl.1
United States

sh0wtime_FPV Posted at 9-30 16:06
I bought direct from DJI the last few times. seems ok..

How were the shipping times?
2022-10-3
Use props
Snook911
lvl.3
Flight distance : 425180 ft
United States

I bought a refreshed Air 2S drone on Amazon.  Amazon gives a 90 day return policy on refreshed Items and it still qualifies for DJI refresh which I purchased.  Got the Drone for $799 and they have refreshed batteries for $68.  Also bought the HUB for $45 and a nice hard case for $59 ( also bought a nice backpack that can hold my Drone and DLS Camera for longer trips for $99)   Spent just over $1000 (not including the extra case)  and got everything I wanted including a much nicer case then comes with the fly more combo.  
2022-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules