DJI Mic
6336 11 2022-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fisheye44
lvl.1
United States

So, I purchased the DJI Mic and while I love everything about it the issues with lavaliers is really bugging me and making me consider returning it.

I need to buy a lavalier, it seems that the two suggestions so far are the Shure MVL $69 and someone here also said the Rode SmartLva+ $53 was also good.
Those two it seem to be TRRS mics. Now, is there a reason why TRRS works but the Rode Go doesn't. I wish DJI will share some information about if this system was made for TRRS specifically so can know about it and not waste so much time doing test and searching online.

Haven't tried but I guess the TRRS lavalier don't work straight into the rode Go right? I work we have the Rode Go, but we use an ear piece lavalier and it has a locking thingy so it wont fit into DJI mic.

please if anyone has some info and clarification on this, will you share?

thanks a lot.
2022-10-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I bought a cheap TRRS to TRS cable (adapter) to make it work with my camera. (which has TRS)
2022-10-6
Use props
fisheye44
lvl.1
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 10-6 23:27
I bought a cheap TRRS to TRS cable (adapter) to make it work with my camera. (which has TRS)

I guess I should do that too. thanks.

so, do you know if the dpi mic was made to work with TRRS only? is that it?
2022-10-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

fisheye44 Posted at 10-7 05:52
I guess I should do that too. thanks.

so, do you know if the dpi mic was made to work with TRRS only? is that it?

To my best knowledge, the Mic (transmitter) has a TRS style jack.
2022-10-7
Use props
TooDeep
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I bought two inexpensive AGPTEK lav mics from Amazon. They terminate in TRRS, which did not work in the DJI Mic transmitters but they were each supplied with a short female TRRS to male TRS adapter cable. Once I fitted these, everything worked great although having an extra connector is not ideal. I have since recently purchased a second DJI Mic and, once again, only TRS worked for me.  
2022-10-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the trouble. The DJI Mic can be connected to an external microphone for recording. The 3.5 mm TRS input can be connected to common TRS microphones. Do not connect a microphone with a power supply of 24 V or 48 V. We have no related models for recommendations. In addition, the 3.5 mm port on the transmitter and receiver supports the third-party TRRS microphone. please note that the TRRS microphone on the iPhone is not supported. You may also refer to our fellow members that use the adapter cable to see if that works for you. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-10-7
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

I probably was the one recommending the SmartLav+. Has worked for me so far, even without a TRRS to TRS converter. Not sure why, but it does.

I did experience interference with one SmartLav+ connected to the DJI Mic, but it did not occur with the other two I own and the interference occurred with a smartphone too, so my guess is that individual SmartLav+ was faulty.
2022-10-8
Use props
fisheye44
lvl.1
United States

HGDC84 Posted at 10-8 11:13
I probably was the one recommending the SmartLav+. Has worked for me so far, even without a TRRS to TRS converter. Not sure why, but it does.

I did experience interference with one SmartLav+ connected to the DJI Mic, but it did not occur with the other two I own and the interference occurred with a smartphone too, so my guess is that individual SmartLav+ was faulty.

Hi.

Thanks for your answer. yes it was you who suggested the Smartlav+. thanks for that . you happy with the system? had any drops in reception? sound is good?

I am debating hard on my head if I should returned it and go for the rode. There're so many things I like about the dpi mic and really want to keep it but I am a bit worry. All this issues with lavaliers and not working well with them, then saw some posts about audio drops from very close distances. also a test someone did with the onboard mic and the rode sounded clearly better. all of that and the fact that this is dji first time doing a sound system and the issues that are bound to have compared to a brand that has done audio forever and it is past version 1.

saying all of that, I really wish to keep the DJI mic, just worry that I will regret it.

PS. doing a wedding my friend has a white rode lavalier he said we could use for the bride ( hey bro, sorry but I heard rode lavaliers have a lot of interference with my system, sorry I can't use your lav)
2022-10-9
Use props
TooDeep
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fisheye44 Posted at 10-9 05:11
Hi.

Thanks for your answer. yes it was you who suggested the Smartlav+. thanks for that . you happy with the system? had any drops in reception? sound is good?

It doesn't make sense to make a decision based on things you've heard when everyone's experience is different. If you have an opportunity to try your friend's white lav, why not try it? If you like the DJI Mic, buy some lavs and return them until you find a brand that works for you. There's no guarantee the Rode system or any other won't have its own problems and even if my DJI Mic's sound quality is marginally inferior to system x, my films' audience won't know it unless I'm unwise enough to play them a system x version to compare it to. Until experienced audio engineers start watching my wedding videos, I'm making the assumption that ignorance is bliss.
2022-10-9
Use props
fisheye44
lvl.1
United States

TooDeep Posted at 10-9 09:34
It doesn't make sense to make a decision based on things you've heard when everyone's experience is different. If you have an opportunity to try your friend's white lav, why not try it? If you like the DJI Mic, buy some lavs and return them until you find a brand that works for you. There's no guarantee the Rode system or any other won't have its own problems and even if my DJI Mic's sound quality is marginally inferior to system x, my audience won't know it unless I'm unwise enough to play them a system x version to compare it to. Until experienced audio engineers start watching my wedding videos, I'm making the assumption that ignorance is bliss.

lol....good points my friend. will take into consideration.

Waiting to get in contact with my friend to try the rode lav he has. I rely on other people's reviews and info because it is a lot of work, money and time to try all the variations to get to a good solution. It is already more time that I wish to spend on looking for a lavalier. the two options I have received are TRRS, so that even bring a new issue and concern.

but yes, just trying to make a good decision.

thanks a lot for your input. it does help.

2022-10-9
Use props
TooDeep
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fisheye44 Posted at 10-9 09:39
lol....good points my friend. will take into consideration.

Waiting to get in contact with my friend to try the rode lav he has. I rely on other people's reviews and info because it is a lot of work, money and time to try all the variations to get to a good solution. It is already more time that I wish to spend on looking for a lavalier. the two options I have received are TRRS, so that even bring a new issue and concern.

No problem. In the same way some premium lavs don't play well with DJI Mic, some cheaper no-name lavs may work fine. Many of the Chinese mics on Amazon, even if they are TRRS, come  with adapters and it seems that some TRRS jacks work anyway. Maybe ordering audio equipment from a company that apparently also makes flower pots doesn't inspire confidence but you might surprise yourself and you could have your answer by Tuesday according to Mr Bezos.
2022-10-9
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

fisheye44 Posted at 10-9 05:11
Hi.

I've had no problems with it so far, will inform you if I notice something wrong when analysing my materials further. The sound quality has been very good, especially with an appropriate lavalier mic attached to the transmitters, and I haven't noticed any dropouts so far.Even if there are dropouts in the wireless connection, you could do a backup by using the recording function on each transmitter by pressing the Rec button on them before starting the actual recording session. While it will possibly mean work in the post-processing phase, then at least you have a backup and won't completely lose everything if there occurs some problems with the wireless connection.

I would like to notify that I have only talked about the SmartLav+ microphone, not the Rode Wireless GO audio systems. I have no personal experiences on those, but I have heard many say that it's not a bad option either. Personally I went for the DJI Mic, because for my use scenario, it did have some advantages over the Wireless GO (for instance, being able to change the settings without a phone app).

As for the compatible mics, there are many choices. Sure, there are some that suffer from interference or that have plugs that don't attach properly. But there are also many that have those issues. I've heard comments varying about their go-to-lavaliers. Some have gotten their best results with brand names, but there are also some cases where a cheaper lavalier has proven itself to be a good option for some people.

Whatever your choice may be, I wish the best for you and hope you will find the best possible audio solution for you.

EDIT: One more addition: The SmartLav+ is equipped with a TRRS plug, yet works just fine with the DJI Mic for me. But if you are unsure about it, they also sell an adapter that converts TRRS into TRS. I haven't needed it so far, but your mileage may vary dpending on the used lavalier. The earlier suggestion of trying different options could be the way to go here. Good luck!
2022-10-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules