1130 18 2022-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

With are the new horizon steady features on the Action 3 has this now made the Osmo pocket series of cameras pointless
2022-10-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Next month we should see an updated Pocket 3 so perhaps they will add something to differentiate it more.  
2022-10-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I am impressed with the stabilization of 'gimballess' cameras for sure.
But it still does not beat a true gimbal for me.
2022-10-6
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Horizon steady on OA3 doesn't support highest resolution. But still a Pocket 2 with gimbal is still better than any action cameras
2022-10-7
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Of course not.  Stabilisation isn't the same as gimbal functions.  For instance, put an EIS camera on a pole, lower it to the ground in front of you, then raise it into the air (as in a reveal shot).  On the Pocket cameras, you lock the tilt axis and when the camera is high in the air, it's still pointing horizontally at the subject.  The EIS camera is pointing at the sky, which is not what you want.   And then we come to low light.  The Pocket cameras don't care if there's no light, the gimbal system works as if it was mid day in the tropics.  The EIS camera will record a total mess of artifacts because it needs a fast shutter speed for EIS to work.  Sure, you can set the shutter speed fast, but then the ISO maxes out and fills the image with noise.  I could go on....
2022-10-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Oh wait, I forgot the motion timelapse feature.
2022-10-7
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 10-7 01:18
Horizon steady on OA3 doesn't support highest resolution. But still a Pocket 2 with gimbal is still better than any action cameras

Yes it might be but there is no need for the Highest Resolution and also the Pocket is a right pain once you have finished the shot and cant lay it down. It is very impractical in my view.

BTW I only ever shoot in 1080P....... Cant be doing with those huge file sizes and most normal non pixel peepers cant see the difference.
2022-10-7
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-7 01:19
Of course not.  Stabilisation isn't the same as gimbal functions.  For instance, put an EIS camera on a pole, lower it to the ground in front of you, then raise it into the air (as in a reveal shot).  On the Pocket cameras, you lock the tilt axis and when the camera is high in the air, it's still pointing horizontally at the subject.  The EIS camera is pointing at the sky, which is not what you want.   And then we come to low light.  The Pocket cameras don't care if there's no light, the gimbal system works as if it was mid day in the tropics.  The EIS camera will record a total mess of artifacts because it needs a fast shutter speed for EIS to work.  Sure, you can set the shutter speed fast, but then the ISO maxes out and fills the image with noise.  I could go on....

I have no idea what an artifact is apart from some pot from Egypt. Please dont tell me either as I dont want to know
2022-10-7
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-7 01:19
Of course not.  Stabilisation isn't the same as gimbal functions.  For instance, put an EIS camera on a pole, lower it to the ground in front of you, then raise it into the air (as in a reveal shot).  On the Pocket cameras, you lock the tilt axis and when the camera is high in the air, it's still pointing horizontally at the subject.  The EIS camera is pointing at the sky, which is not what you want.   And then we come to low light.  The Pocket cameras don't care if there's no light, the gimbal system works as if it was mid day in the tropics.  The EIS camera will record a total mess of artifacts because it needs a fast shutter speed for EIS to work.  Sure, you can set the shutter speed fast, but then the ISO maxes out and fills the image with noise.  I could go on....

You sound horribly like a camera geek............ Believe me no good will come of it.

What about how impractical a pocket is to use and lay down and stop from getting wet and the camera seeming to do its own thing and not going where you point it..... I could go on
2022-10-7
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

There's an anwer to everything - I keep mine in a special case that keeps the head clear of any surface it is put down on.  Personally I don't have issues with where it points, and I don't get it wet any more than I get my DSLR cameras wet - yup I'm a geek, I confess!
2022-10-7
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Bigplumbs Posted at 10-7 05:11
Yes it might be but there is no need for the Highest Resolution and also the Pocket is a right pain once you have finished the shot and cant lay it down. It is very impractical in my view.

BTW I only ever shoot in 1080P....... Cant be doing with those huge file sizes and most normal non pixel peepers cant see the difference.

I see you had a lot of drones and I guess you shoot everyone of them only in 1080p?

It is no problem seeing difference beteween 4K, and 1080p or 1440p and 1080p. But it all depends what you watch it on.

But it is up to each other to shoot what ever they want, but for most people uploading to youtube or selling footage, there is no usage for lower resolution footage.

2022-10-7
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Pocket 2 with 1.8 lens is way better that any action cam with 2.8 lens. Cant even compare. Especially when long dark autumn and winter. P2 produces  much better image.
2022-10-7
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 10-7 05:57
I see you had a lot of drones and I guess you shoot everyone of them only in 1080p?

It is no problem seeing difference beteween 4K, and 1080p or 1440p and 1080p. But it all depends what you watch it on.

What nonsense. I watch all my youtube stuff on a 55 inch TV and the Youtube footage is 1080P so there you go a use for it.

By the way 1080P is HD so by definition it is High not Low.

So many people just shoot the highest the camera will go to cos they can with no real thought.

4k is just a data hog
2022-10-7
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Aavalaakso Posted at 10-7 06:05
Pocket 2 with 1.8 lens is way better that any action cam with 2.8 lens. Cant even compare. Especially when long dark autumn and winter. P2 produces  much better image.

I have long since believed that far to many people obsess about what they think is the Quality of an image and totally forget the 'story' it is telling which of course is the important bit.

Pixel Peepers and Geeks being the worse for this in my view
2022-10-7
Use props
Aavalaakso
First Officer
Flight distance : 328 ft
  • >>>
Finland

Bigplumbs Posted at 10-7 07:02
I have long since believed that far to many people obsess about what they think is the Quality of an image and totally forget the 'story' it is telling which of course is the important bit.

Pixel Peepers and Geeks being the worse for this in my view

I live in place where is dark and cold 50% of the year. Action cams are useless here but Pocket 1 and 2 gives the shot.

-Pxl Piper
2022-10-7
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Bigplumbs Posted at 10-7 07:01
What nonsense. I watch all my youtube stuff on a 55 inch TV and the Youtube footage is 1080P so there you go a use for it.

By the way 1080P is HD so by definition it is High not Low.

Since you came from the drone part of this forum, that's why you have this attitude against us other friendly people here

If you can't see difference between 4K and 1080p on your 55" TV, then you should check your vision. Not being rude just saying.

2022-10-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Both products referred on the statement is different from each other and has their own feature and design for consumer daily usage. With regard to upcoming features or products, we don't have information on this and please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support!
2022-10-7
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

johansenfoto Posted at 10-7 08:35
Since you came from the drone part of this forum, that's why you have this attitude against us other friendly people here

If you can't see difference between 4K and 1080p on your 55" TV, then you should check your vision. Not being rude just saying.

The difference is there but it is not wort the extra data size of the files
2022-10-7
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Bigplumbs Posted at 10-7 22:04
The difference is there but it is not wort the extra data size of the files

Just watched your unboxing video and checked out your channel.
For your content it is good enough shooting in 1080p, but if you want the extra quality shooting and uploading in 1440p (2K) will give you the better youtube codec on your videos (vp9 instead of avc1) that is noticable i many videos on youtube.
But again you don't need it since you make mostly vlog/travel videos

About filesizes, I know there is a big difference between 1080p vs 4K, but for me personally I would like to give my viewers the highest possible quality video as possible. That's why we here on OA3 forum is talking so much about OA3 since it is deliver worse video than even the good old Osmo Action 1 that is soft from before.

And Pocket is not the best camera for outdoors when there is a lot of rain.
2022-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules