DJI FPV and GyroFlow
8616 19 2022-10-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EiraSYS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2560784 ft
Portugal

DJI FPV drone footage can’t be  used with GyroFlow  software because there is no information of its camera motion recorded in the drone. In fact there is no IMU sensor in the gimbal, only inside the drone body. The solution? Install a IMU sensor and logger in the camera.
Unless DJI decides to sell a new camera module with IMU sensor, with better resolution, wider lens, better night vision. Avata camera is compatible with FPV? Don’t think so. And all of this with a firmware upgrade. That’s asking too much from DJI.

2022-10-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ErwvWX1IR2E
2022-10-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Strange, normally there is a preview, but apparently it does not work now.
2022-10-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Anyhow, yes, that would be nice!
2022-10-7
Use props
EiraSYS
lvl.4
Portugal

Montfrooij Posted at 10-7 01:32
Strange, normally there is a preview, but apparently it does not work now.

Thanks! I was editing the post in the smartphone, there were no icons to post the video.
Post corrected with the video preview of DJI FPV GyroFlow.
2022-10-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

EiraSYS Posted at 10-7 01:57
Thanks! I was editing the post in the smartphone, there were no icons to post the video.
Post corrected with the video preview of DJI FPV GyroFlow.

Check. Now it works indeed!
2022-10-7
Use props
Depp
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1868796 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I'm sure the drone has a gyro so it could just record that data. But they can't be bothered to update anything about that drone. It really is a shame because it does have potential and its uses.
2022-10-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. With regards to the GyroFlow. We have been actively cooperating with GyroFlow on software optimization. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Have a nice day ahead.
2022-10-7
Use props
EiraSYS
lvl.4
Portugal

DJI Paladin Posted at 10-7 21:30
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. With regards to the GyroFlow. We have been actively cooperating with GyroFlow on software optimization. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Have a nice day ahead.

That’s excellent! The results are astonishing, specially with Avata drone.
One thing that I’m looking for is how to merge several videos having quaternions information from Avata, why are they split apart in several files? I need a tool to merge them or else GyroFlow should allow adding several video parts to process continuous motion. Also useful for DJI FPV videos with IMU logger.
2022-10-8
Use props
aSae
lvl.3
Flight distance : 562769 ft
Poland

EiraSYS Posted at 10-8 03:40
One thing that I’m looking for is how to merge several videos having quaternions information from Avata, why are they split apart in several files? I need a tool to merge them or else GyroFlow should allow adding several video parts to process continuous motion. Also useful for DJI FPV videos with IMU logger.

Try the new beta 1.3.0  that was just released yesterday. beta-2 released today. It works perfect and has the merge videos capabilities. just drag and drop these several files and it will offer you to merge them.
2022-10-8
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

EiraSYS Posted at 10-8 03:40

I will take this as a suggestion of yours and will forward it to the team. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-10-10
Use props
EiraSYS
lvl.4
Portugal

That's good. I'm already using the new GyroFlow beta-2 and it works fine merging the videos, in fact that was exactly what was needed. The videos are just merged together resulting in a file with the size of the sum of all of them. They are not processed and re-encoded as most of the applications do like for example Quicktime, Final Cut Pro or iMovie. This avoids loosing image quality when encoding or else increasing the size of the resulting video. The added value is the quaternions information that is kept intact in the final file.
2022-10-10
Use props
airborne.clips
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1508747 ft
Portugal

what we need would be a new camera upgrade from DJI... totally outdated for an expensive drone
2022-10-16
Use props
EiraSYS
lvl.4
Portugal

airborne.clips Posted at 10-16 02:13
what we need would be a new camera upgrade from DJI... totally outdated for an expensive drone

Yes, would be great. Maybe a new gimbal kit. The most difficult part would be keeping a compatible interface with the internal hardware, with capacity for higher resolution and storing gyroflow quarternions data.
2022-10-16
Use props
djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6068707 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EiraSYS Posted at 10-10 09:27
That's good. I'm already using the new GyroFlow beta-2 and it works fine merging the videos, in fact that was exactly what was needed. The videos are just merged together resulting in a file with the size of the sum of all of them. They are not processed and re-encoded as most of the applications do like for example Quicktime, Final Cut Pro or iMovie. This avoids loosing image quality when encoding or else increasing the size of the resulting video. The added value is the quaternions information that is kept intact in the final file.

Hi, I just watched your video as I wanted to find an alternative to mounting another camera like the GoPro/Insta variants.

I do have a background in IT, but I haven't had much exposure to Github. Also I can see you've linked to the components but without some instruction I fear I would just end up buying a battery and the board and just not know how to make them work.

Is there any way you could write a tutorial, or perhaps just lend me some of your time to briefly explain the steps I need to go through to get the right bits and get this software working?
2022-11-26
Use props
EiraSYS
lvl.4
Portugal

djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv Posted at 11-26 03:26
Hi, I just watched your video as I wanted to find an alternative to mounting another camera like the GoPro/Insta variants.

I do have a background in IT, but I haven't had much exposure to Github. Also I can see you've linked to the components but without some instruction I fear I would just end up buying a battery and the board and just not know how to make them work.

It's quite easy and very straightforward.
You don't need necessarily to use Lolin board, any ESP32 with some memory will do the job.
In this case I will explain the connections for Lolin Hardware:

The software installed in the Lolin is the EspLog, he explains it quite well in his Github page, but any doubt you can post it here and I will try to solve.
Esp-GyroLogger
Vladimir Pinchuk
https://github.com/VladimirP1/esp-gyrologger

Set IMU orientation in Gyroflow to "Zyx" if the sensor is exactly as in the photo.
One of the biggest difficulties is to synchronize the video with the sensor data, you must set the "Rough gyro offset" as close as possible to the sync value, then adjust "Sync search size" for example to +/-1s and use "Auto sync" button or "Auto sync here" in the plot in places where there is a lot of camera motion.
Hope this help!
2022-11-27
Use props
djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6068707 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EiraSYS Posted at 11-27 08:01
It's quite easy and very straightforward.
You don't need necessarily to use Lolin board, any ESP32 with some memory will do the job.
In this case I will explain the connections for Lolin Hardware:

Excellent, thanks for this.
2022-11-28
Use props
EiraSYS
lvl.4
Portugal

djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv Posted at 11-28 14:44
Excellent, thanks for this.

IMPORTANT
Never connect two power supplies at the same time to the Lolin C3 Mini, or other ESP32,
you risk to damage it and/or your computer board. There is no power supply protection in the Lolin board.
If you connect the ESP32 to the computer with the USB-C for flashing then disconnect it first from battery supply.
The same is true, if testing the ESP32 with the battery (standalone in the drone) then disconnect it from the computer (USB-C).
Post some video when you have it working!
2022-11-29
Use props
Soukron
lvl.2
Flight distance : 921319 ft
Spain

djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv Posted at 11-26 03:26

You probably would go for an easier solution like a insta360 go 1 which does have a nice gyroscope and built-in battery. You would need to attach it to the drone and start recording so it creates a video file with the gyroscope data that you can use later to stabilize the dji fpv footage.
2022-12-21
Use props
djiuser_rmYK2KMY24ZS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 150863 ft
United States

Hello, I am looking to build this and I was curious how important it would be to attach the BMI160 to the camera, or would it still work just being attached to the drone?
4-22 11:40
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules