Flying in vacinithy of FM broadcast transmitters
693 8 2022-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansb31ddc35
lvl.1

United States

Our amateur radio club has equipment in a mounttain top building housing two 1000 watt fm broadcast transmitter.  The moutain top has just had the forest cleared of trees and the club has asked if I wouild take the drone and do a 360 around the tower.  I am thinking 100 foot out from the tower.

Has anyone flown in near vacinity to high power fm broadcast stations and did you notice any difficulty controlling the drone.

Bob
Sequim, WA

2022-10-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You should be OK as the FM transmitters will not be trnasmitting on 2.4GHz.
2022-10-16
Use props
gregh2000
lvl.2
Flight distance : 250217 ft
United States

Watch out for the guy wires holding it up!  Otherwise you should be fine.  I flew near one of the VOR stations it didn't cause any control issues even when I was standing on one side of the thing and my drone was on the other side.  I didn't get to close to it because I didn't want to risk anything happening near it, just around the corn field that circles the thing.
2022-10-16
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

Use your zoom.
2022-10-16
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

This video should answer your question.
2022-10-16
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI Pilots here that already have experience with the said work. Just a friendly reminder, the DJI drone might pick up magnetic interference when flying near cell towers and might cause unwanted incidents when flying. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-10-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 10-16 16:34
This video should answer your question.

OK....but that is a very very vintage AM radio transmission antenna from the 1930's, not FM by any means and probably not in use. It's a historical monument to the Grand Ole Oprey and covered a huge area of the US, especially in the early evenings when the signals could often "skip" to both coasts.
2022-10-16
Use props
fansb31ddc35
lvl.1

United States

Thanks, good idea.  Even though the FM stations don't broadcast on 2.4,; I worry about the drone receiver being overloaded.  Stay far away and use zoom is a good idea.

Bob
2022-10-16
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

GaryDoug Posted at 10-16 19:48
OK....but that is a very very vintage AM radio transmission antenna from the 1930's, not FM by any means and probably not in use. It's a historical monument to the Grand Ole Oprey and covered a huge area of the US, especially in the early evenings when the signals could often "skip" to both coasts.

Yes, it is still in use and transmits with 50,000 watts. It is Clear Channel WSM AM.
2022-10-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules