D-Cinelike VS Normal On The Action 2
3682 20 2022-10-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Testing D-Cinelike and Normal colour profiles on the Action 2 to see if there's any difference in sharpness and exposure.

UPDATE:

Thanks to Montfrooij, here's an example with a DJI LUT being applied to the D-Cinelike take and being compared against both the Normal and untouched D-Cinelike profiles. BTW, I screwed up on some of the titles on the splits but it is obvious as to what's going on.

2022-10-18
Use props
Frontliner 2020
Second Officer
Philippines

interesting video...
2022-10-18
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Cinelike looks much better to me.
It needs some post processing, but has more room to work with in post (more dynamic range too)
2022-10-18
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 10-18 23:06
Cinelike looks much better to me.
It needs some post processing, but has more room to work with in post (more dynamic range too)

Yes, there are certain advantages with D-Cinelike but as you say , it does require some post processing. The problem I have is that while I edit with Resolve, I’m not a colourist and never have the time to be spending too much of it in post with any footage that’s only meant to be quick turn-around stuff like vloggy stuff.

If I were recording serious stuff, then I would spend more time in post. However, I wouldn’t deliberately use an action cam for any serious recording as I have other cameras that are better suited for that.

I will try and see if there’s anything that’s “in camera” that may help me take the edge off the high contrast/gamma when shooting on normal.

For now, I’m just enjoying the Action 2 for what it is. An awesome tiny camera that’s fun and easy to use, is super convenient for vlogging and has an awesome built in mic for a small camera and also records a great picture.

If I have to be really honest. Although I also have the Hero 11 which is “technically” a better camera. I’m using the Action 2 more because it’s more immediate and on a childish level, it also looks better

Anyway. While I could nit pick a whole bunch of things about the Action 2, I won’t. Because for what I’ve bought it for, it is ticking way more boxes than not and at the moment it is my favourite vlogging camera. Plus, I’m having far too much fun with it to be taking any time listing what I don’t like about it, which is time I could be spending vlogging
2022-10-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

David_Harry Posted at 10-19 03:25
Yes, there are certain advantages with D-Cinelike but as you say , it does require some post processing. The problem I have is that while I edit with Resolve, I’m not a colourist and never have the time to be spending too much of it in post with any footage that’s only meant to be quick turn-around stuff like vloggy stuff.

If I were recording serious stuff, then I would spend more time in post. However, I wouldn’t deliberately use an action cam for any serious recording as I have other cameras that are better suited for that.

I have a cinelike LUT that I throw on the footage most of the time.
Works great for DJI footage.
2022-10-19
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 10-19 03:39
I have a cinelike LUT that I throw on the footage most of the time.
Works great for DJI footage.

Is it a freely available download? If so, I’ll give it a try on the example in this video.

Do DJI have a D-Cinelike to rec.709 transform LUT?
2022-10-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

David_Harry Posted at 10-19 03:51
Is it a freely available download? If so, I’ll give it a try on the example in this video.

Do DJI have a D-Cinelike to rec.709 transform LUT?

I'm not sure if it is free, but I can send it to you (the first one).
I never used any of the 'to rec709.  luts
I seem to have one that is DJI Dlog to 709
But not cinelike.
2022-10-19
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 10-19 04:05
I'm not sure if it is free, but I can send it to you (the first one).
I never used any of the 'to rec709.  luts
I seem to have one that is DJI Dlog to 709

If you can send me it that would be awesome, thanks

I’ll do some split screens with the examples in this video and upload them for you to have a look at.
2022-10-19
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

David_Harry Posted at 10-19 04:21
If you can send me it that would be awesome, thanks

I’ll do some split screens with the examples in this video and upload them for you to have a look at.

Yeah, no problem. I sent a PM.
2022-10-19
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice test.  I personally prefer D-Cine.  
2022-10-20
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-20 03:32
Very nice test.  I personally prefer D-Cine.

You are very welcome.

In certain instances D-Cinelike could be more useful if a simple D-Cinelike to standard rec.709 gamma transform LUT were available. The LUT that Montfooij sent, thanks, was better than the other supplied DJI LUTs in Resolve. However, none of these LUT options are designed for D-Cinelike on the Action 2.

The Normal colour profile could also be toned down a bit with some kind of LUT to desaturate a bit and maybe help with black point/gamma. Or maybe another colour profile that has less contrast and more similar to a rec.709 response, or even a basic transform LUT for the Action 2’s D-Cinelike. From what I can see, there doesn’t seem to be any DJI specific LUTs for the Action 2.

While the Action 2 is only 8 Bit and 4:2:0, there’s still a certain amount of latitude within there for slight pushing and pulling of the picture. Which is all that would be needed just to even it out a bit.

BTW. I’m not complaining about anything here as I think it’s unreasonable to expect certain functionality from such a camera. Especially after its recent price drop, which I personally think makes it a much better purchase than the Action 3. Plus it is an wesome little vlogging camera due to the great sound on the camera module microphone.

Here’s the example with the LUT.

2022-10-20
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

David_Harry Posted at 10-20 23:29
You are very welcome.

In certain instances D-Cinelike could be more useful if a simple D-Cinelike to standard rec.709 gamma transform LUT were available. The LUT that Montfooij sent, thanks, was better than the other supplied DJI LUTs in Resolve. However, none of these LUT options are designed for D-Cinelike on the Action 2.

No doubt about the Action 2 being a great little vlogging camera.  

2022-10-21
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-21 03:48
No doubt about the Action 2 being a great little vlogging camera.

Yes, absolutely.

I got mine around the same time I got the Hero 11 and have used the Action 2 more. I know it’s personal preference at this point but for me, the Action 2 is a much better vlogging camera for “off the cuff” spontaneous stuff.
2022-10-21
Use props
djiuser_2RfNbF02gOY2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 659344 ft
France

I agree for the vlogging camera point.

My use case while overseas: I was using the camera as a point of view while walking, by using the magnet necklace. As soon as I needed to speak on camera, I just had to remove it and put it on my tripod which had another magnet accessory. Same while I was riding a small motorbike and the need to change the point of view. It's very handy. And when needed to charge it, the screen module was on my pocket, easy to grab. It's very nice when you want to record different angle without dismounting the whole thing, like you would do with other action camera.
2022-10-21
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

David_Harry Posted at 10-21 05:29
Yes, absolutely.

I got mine around the same time I got the Hero 11 and have used the Action 2 more. I know it’s personal preference at this point but for me, the Action 2 is a much better vlogging camera for “off the cuff” spontaneous stuff.

I bought my grandson the Hero 11 and he loves it.  I'm still on the Hero 9.  
2022-10-22
Use props
TheCivvie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 399160 ft
Ireland

I liked the LUT D-Cinelike. I use Filmora so haven't played too much with it. Sadly only have an old macbook air
2022-10-22
Use props
fansfe82067d
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Tamara Gabriel who has a YouTube channel to which I subscribe and who posts here sometimes offers this LUT pack.  Disclaimer - I haven't used it myself but I like the look of her videos.  Apparently they are fine with the Action 2 also.

https://tamara-gabriel.sellfy.st ... ke-corrective-luts/

2022-10-22
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DowntownRDB Posted at 10-22 06:02
I bought my grandson the Hero 11 and he loves it.  I'm still on the Hero 9.

I still have the 9 as well and think it’s a great little camera. Mine had some issues at first but they cleared up after one of the firmware updates. Although, I’m really favouring the Action 2 at the moment for my vloggy stuff.
2022-10-22
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

TheCivvie Posted at 10-22 12:00
I liked the LUT D-Cinelike. I use Filmora so haven't played too much with it. Sadly only have an old macbook air

Have you ever tried Lumafusion for editing? It’s actually quite powerful for what it is, depending on what it’s running on. I’ve used it on an older iPad Pro which I don’t think would be as powerful as your MacBook and it runs really well.

Here’s some videos about stuff to do with Lumafusion.

2022-10-22
Use props
David_Harry
Second Officer
United Kingdom

fansfe82067d Posted at 10-22 14:11
Tamara Gabriel who has a YouTube channel to which I subscribe and who posts here sometimes offers this LUT pack.  Disclaimer - I haven't used it myself but I like the look of her videos.  Apparently they are fine with the Action 2 also.

https://tamara-gabriel.sellfy.st ... ke-corrective-luts/

The problem with LUTs is that they are not only very specific to particular cameras and colour spaces etc. But  they will also be specific to the likes of exposure and white balance. Even a basic transform LUT will assume certain attributes in the source files.

When using LUTs, unless you’re lucky with your exposure etc. You’re very likely to have to mess around further with the picture to balance the shots.

For typical vloggy stuff where shooting in auto is almost a must. You’ll end up with slightly different exposures, not only from shot to shot but also within a single take. This will require more than just simply applying a global LUT. Which for me personally with vloggy stuff, is far too much work in post for what is supposed to be quick turnaround stuff.

I think a good start would be a transform LUT to move the gamma response for D-Cinelike to a more typical response for rec.709. Although, I can’t seem to find anything by DJI to do with such specific LUTs.
2022-10-22
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

David_Harry Posted at 10-22 15:03
I still have the 9 as well and think it’s a great little camera. Mine had some issues at first but they cleared up after one of the firmware updates. Although, I’m really favouring the Action 2 at the moment for my vloggy stuff.

Nothing wrong with sticking with the Action 2, especially when it is working well for you.  
2022-10-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules