12Next >
2500 65 2022-10-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LucaBos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12602 ft
Italy

So, just 4 days after I received it, I badly crashed my Mini 3 Pro (roll axis of the gimbal stuck).
The cause: I forgot to remove the camera protection while trying to fly it indoors. Since the protection covers also the bottom sensors, I guess that the drone couldn't detect its distance from the ground, crashed into the ceiling, and then plummeted on the hard floor. I wish that, among all the automated pre-flight checks it performs, the software would check also for this eventuality, since I can't believe that I am/will be the only one to commit this mistake. I only wonder what would have happened if I wasn't indoors!

Now, when the drone will come back from repair I will definitely stick this ↓ to the camera cover!

2022-10-20
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

Never had this problem. Maybe its just obvious to me, but the cover is too big to just ignore. Its the first thing I remove before even folding out the arms.
Isn't it even obvious on the RC screen when you look at it?
2022-10-20
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

i suspect that flying indoors is much different than a traditional outdoor flight where you check and double-check and perhaps use a checklist unless you are a professional or doing it for commercial purposes.
2022-10-20
Use props
FL_Flyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810594 ft
United States

As an airplane pilot, I know that failing to remove various covers on your aircraft before flight, like the pitot tube cover (airspeed) would be a fatal error.  I started my quad a few times with the gimbal cover in place and hurried to remove it when I heard the gimbal movement being restrained. With this bit of plastic label, that reminds me every time to pay attention.
2022-10-20
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

personally im not sure how anyone can fly a camera drone without first checking the camera settings which literally makes it impossible to forget to remove the gimbal cover.

btw, i think the autel flashes warning messages on the display about camera not being ready or something similar.
2022-10-20
Use props
FL_Flyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 810594 ft
United States

The Saint Posted at 10-20 17:28
personally im not sure how anyone can fly a camera drone without first checking the camera settings which literally makes it impossible to forget to remove the gimbal cover.

btw, i think the autel flashes warning messages on the display about camera not being ready or something similar.

The NTSB accident reports are filled with commercial pilots taking off with parking brakes engaged, or gust locks still installed on control surfaces. Both situations are easily remedied, very noticeable and always fatal. We all get distracted sometimes.
2022-10-20
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

When the drone is on the floor, its sensors are also covered. And this is a normal situation.
2022-10-20
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

FL_Flyer Posted at 10-20 17:46
The NTSB accident reports are filled with commercial pilots taking off with parking brakes engaged, or gust locks still installed on control surfaces. Both situations are easily remedied, very noticeable and always fatal. We all get distracted sometimes.

i agree.  probably the reason why those tags and similar have been created and made available for commercial aircraft.  pretty sure they have averted a possible disaster on many occasions.
2022-10-20
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there LucaBos. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mini 3 Pro and thank you for reaching out. These information that you have give will be very helpful to all of us DJI Pilots and just a reminder to never forget to remove the gimbal clamp before you power on your DJI drone and fly it to avoid any unwanted incident. Again, I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and fly safe always.
2022-10-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hahahahahahahahaha.
Luckily I have this in my muscle memory
2022-10-20
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

This is how was invented also the "REMOVE BEFORE YOU EAT" sticker on the wrap of bread... )))))))))))))))))))
2022-10-21
Use props
ElleKN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 755669 ft
Germany

Although I would definitly not forget that, it could be a nice-to-have option (!!!) in the firmware. Please nothing that is a must-check before the start, but an option for those who want to be reminded of everything.
2022-10-21
Use props
UKMoose
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3657552 ft
United Kingdom

I thought these were a good idea, so made my own, not as flashy but works.
2022-10-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

But the fly app would have given you a gimbal warning before you took off
2022-10-21
Use props
nosnoop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237953 ft
Canada

DAFlys Posted at 10-21 01:24
But the fly app would have given you a gimbal warning before you took off

Not with the new cover.

Though I can't imagine how it would not be plain obvious that the cover was on when looking at the camera image.
2022-10-21
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

nosnoop Posted at 10-21 01:51
Not with the new cover.

Though I can't imagine how it would not be plain obvious that the cover was on when looking at the camera image.

Ah yes,  thats a good point,  I have the original cover.
2022-10-21
Use props
LucaBos
lvl.2
Italy

Beta5K Posted at 10-20 13:58
Never had this problem. Maybe its just obvious to me, but the cover is too big to just ignore. Its the first thing I remove before even folding out the arms.
Isn't it even obvious on the RC screen when you look at it?

Probably it's just a newbie problem, but still.

And no, it's not so obvious: the camera cover is transparent, although dark, and the camera does a great job at balancing in low light conditions; plus, I was indoors. I didn't notice any difference from the RC screen at first sight.
2022-10-21
Use props
LucaBos
lvl.2
Italy

FL_Flyer Posted at 10-20 15:00
[view_image]
As an airplane pilot, I know that failing to remove various covers on your aircraft before flight, like the pitot tube cover (airspeed) would be a fatal error.  I started my quad a few times with the gimbal cover in place and hurried to remove it when I heard the gimbal movement being restrained. With this bit of plastic label, that reminds me every time to pay attention.

So it's not only me! Thank you!
2022-10-21
Use props
LucaBos
lvl.2
Italy

Dirty Bird Posted at 10-21 02:51
Sorta like, "I tried to take off but forgot to unfold the arms."

Come on, there's quite some visual difference there!!!
2022-10-21
Use props
LucaBos
lvl.2
Italy

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-20 19:26
Hello there LucaBos. I am sorry to read and to know what happened to your DJI Mini 3 Pro and thank you for reaching out. These information that you have give will be very helpful to all of us DJI Pilots and just a reminder to never forget to remove the gimbal clamp before you power on your DJI drone and fly it to avoid any unwanted incident. Again, I am sorry for the trouble this has caused and fly safe always.

Stephen, happy to be of help for the few who read me, but how many are they among the Mini 3 Pro pilots? This is why I really think that it would be great to either:

• add to the software the function test for the cover presence before allowing the motors to power up, if possible (I understand it might not be materially possible, since the sensors are so close to ground, and with the Mini 3 Pro the gimbal is free to move even with the cover on), or
  • add a little "remove before flight" flap like the ones shown in some pictures here attached to the cover.

Either would make a great addition to an already great drone!
2022-10-21
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

LucaBos Posted at 10-21 03:58
Stephen, happy to be of help for the few who read me, but how many are they among the Mini 3 Pro pilots? This is why I really think that it would be great to either:

the goal is to "remove" not to "add"

80-20 rule
2022-10-21
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

Just make your own tag if you really need to remind yourself to take off the cover.
No need to start adding unnecessary (to me) tags. There's other things DJI needs to work on than adding reminder tags.
2022-10-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Geo_Drone Posted at 10-21 00:11
This is how was invented also the "REMOVE BEFORE YOU EAT" sticker on the wrap of bread... )))))))))))))))))))

or the clothes that say "Remove child before washing" LOL
2022-10-21
Use props
LucaBos
lvl.2
Italy

Beta5K Posted at 10-21 06:36
Just make your own tag if you really need to remind yourself to take off the cover.
No need to start adding unnecessary (to me) tags. There's other things DJI needs to work on than adding reminder tags.

Beta, sure I will make mine. But, as you say,
> No need to start adding unnecessary (to me) tags.

See, I think that it's good to think about others as well, not just me. ;-)

Various pictures in response to my post show that I'm not the only one, including one from an airplane pilot. If something simple can make the life better to many people (including noobs, of course) why not.
2022-10-21
Use props
Ross14
Second Officer
Czechia

I remove the camera cover, but in the beginning I forgot the foam "arresting" pad behind the camera several times (always removed at the last minute). I always put the camera pad before putting the Mini 3 in the trunk.
2022-10-21
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LucaBos Posted at 10-21 06:54
Beta, sure I will make mine. But, as you say,
> No need to start adding unnecessary (to me) tags.

I agree, i have forgotten the gimbal holder all my drones at least once, for the P4P gimbal holder, i made one from the red handle of a Tesco carrier bag, never forgot that one again.

For the Mini 3 Pro, i don't think i have forgotten it as yet but i have added a red rubber band to the rear foam so i don't forget that.

I do not think have added anything to the MIni 2 cover but i have deffo forgotten it at least once.

No one is infallible, it only takes a small lapse in concentration at the time of setup and, oops...
2022-10-21
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

LucaBos Posted at 10-21 03:58

Hi there LucaBos. Thank you for the reply and for this additional information that you have given. I will forward these information to the designated DJI Department for attention. Thank you and keep flying.
2022-10-23
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Bashy Posted at 10-21 06:40
or the clothes that say "Remove child before washing" LOL

)))))))))))))) That is a good one, I might quote you in some posts further.... )))
2022-10-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Always thought you would get a gimbal warning  if its starting dance was hampered . So I suppose its not hampered on the mini3. That was the great thing about you could fly the mavic 1 with the gimbal cover on. Caused a lot of sun flares though.
2022-10-24
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 10-24 14:55
Always thought you would get a gimbal warning  if its starting dance was hampered . So I suppose its not hampered on the mini3. That was the great thing about you could fly the mavic 1 with the gimbal cover on. Caused a lot of sun flares though.

That will depend on which version of the gimbal protector is in use, V1 it will hamper the gimbal when turned on, V2 shouldn't be an issue as that cover was designed so that it can be left on when powered up.
2022-10-24
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bashy Posted at 10-24 18:35
That will depend on which version of the gimbal protector is in use, V1 it will hamper the gimbal when turned on, V2 shouldn't be an issue as that cover was designed so that it can be left on when powered up.

there are other types as well.  i have this one:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/155149005500
2022-10-24
Use props
LucaBos
lvl.2
Italy

hallmark007 Posted at 10-24 14:55
Always thought you would get a gimbal warning  if its starting dance was hampered . So I suppose its not hampered on the mini3. That was the great thing about you could fly the mavic 1 with the gimbal cover on. Caused a lot of sun flares though.

I've seen some non-original gimbal covers that do stop the gimbal from moving, and that would probably be detected during the "starting dance". Maybe Dji could think about it for its next versions.

Plus: the reason why you can't fly the Mini 3 with the gimbal cover is because it also covers the bottom sensors of the device, and therefore it cannot use them to estimate relative altitude and position -- thus my crash.
2022-10-25
Use props
SpectreOne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 79659 ft
United States

I wonder if you painted the gimbal cover black, would that prompt a warning on the remote before flight? I do a preflight checklist before I fly which helps me not to forget the cover but I must have an "older" version of the cover because my M3P notifies me that the gimbal cover is on.
2022-10-25
Use props
LucaBos
lvl.2
Italy

SpectreOne Posted at 10-25 08:07
I wonder if you painted the gimbal cover black, would that prompt a warning on the remote before flight? I do a preflight checklist before I fly which helps me not to forget the cover but I must have an "older" version of the cover because my M3P notifies me that the gimbal cover is on.

@SpectreOne I am afraid it would not notify you, but probably you would realize it promptly because the screen on the controller would be black.

If yours notifies you, then probably you do have a different version. Although... I am wondering if, instead, it was a malfunction in my drone and it didn't notify me when it should have (and therefore it should be repaired under warranty). Would you mind sending me a picture of your cover?
2022-10-25
Use props
LucaBos
lvl.2
Italy

DJI Stephen Posted at 10-23 21:22
Hi there LucaBos. Thank you for the reply and for this additional information that you have given. I will forward these information to the designated DJI Department for attention. Thank you and keep flying.

DJI Stephen, what can you say about the above message? Should the Mini 3 Pro notify the user before take off if the gimbal cover was not removed?
2022-10-25
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

I have mentioned that it should be in the manual in large letters, REMOVE GIMBAL PROTECTION before flight, but have not seen it yet.  There are some folks out there that have forgotten it, and were lucky - ME for one.
2022-10-25
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

FL_Flyer Posted at 10-20 15:00
[view_image]
As an airplane pilot, I know that failing to remove various covers on your aircraft before flight, like the pitot tube cover (airspeed) would be a fatal error.  I started my quad a few times with the gimbal cover in place and hurried to remove it when I heard the gimbal movement being restrained. With this bit of plastic label, that reminds me every time to pay attention.

Might be a way to make a Velcro loop, (yellow or Red) that goes around the cover and battery door.  I am  going to see what I can come up with.
2022-10-25
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
United States

LucaBos Posted at 10-21 01:59
Probably it's just a newbie problem, but still.

And no, it's not so obvious: the camera cover is transparent, although dark, and the camera does a great job at balancing in low light conditions; plus, I was indoors. I didn't notice any difference from the RC screen at first sight.

Also, even IF you notice a difference in the camera, the Gimbal damage has been done, in most cases heating up and obstructing it movement.
2022-10-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bob-Mini-2 Posted at 10-25 17:56
Might be a way to make a Velcro loop, (yellow or Red) that goes around the cover and battery door.  I am  going to see what I can come up with.

It does not need to be that big, just needs to or bold...

For my P4P, i used a red (plastic) carrier bag handle (about 6-8" long), cut a slit in it and slid it over the cover. I never forgot it since adding that.

You could use something similar but use a little double-sided tape to stick it onto the gimbal cover it just needs to be long enough to notice it.

Or just get in the habit of making it the very 1st thing you do when you setup, remove it.
Although, that said, i do prefer that to be that last thing, i.e. legs out 1st then gimbal, purely because theres less movement for the gimbal and less chance of any damage occurring whilst man handling the drone.

Be creative, it only needs to serve one purpose and that is to say "HEY LOOK AT ME!" and there's no way to overlook it, good luck
2022-10-25
Use props
Bashy
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The Saint Posted at 10-24 18:47
there are other types as well.  i have this one:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/155149005500

Link not available, but yes, i am aware that there are aftermarket versions but i cannot comment on those as i do not have one, plus, i think, Hallmark is on about the original DJI version whichever that is, 1 or 2.
2022-10-25
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules