Flying on Orange County CA Beaches
3781 3 2022-10-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Snook911
lvl.3
Flight distance : 425180 ft
United States

Hello, I am looking for any input from anyone who has flown on Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, Huntington Beach  City Beach (not the State Beach) or Dana Point.  I know there is a directive from the Orange Coast District of beaches prohibiting drone flights but these beaches are not on that list as it only apply to State Beaches.  Laguna City Council does have this drone ordinance  https://library.qcode.us/lib/laguna_beach_ca/pub/municipal_code/item/title_7-chapter_7_80-7_80_040  which seems to indicate drone flying is permitted as long as the pilot is following the rules set forth in the ordinance.  

Huntington Beach State Beach does prohibit Drones but accord to this link https://www.huntingtonbeachca.gov/hbdrones/  the city of Huntington Beach does not prohibit Drones.  From what I can tell based on Maps the Huntington Beach City Beaches start around the water front Hilton and go down to Bolsa Chica State Beach.  If the City does not prohibit drones then flying drones on the city beach should be OK.  

I have done a lot of searching for Newport Beach and can't find anything that specifically prohibits flying.  DJI Fly safe apps indicates OK to to fly on the whole Balboa Peninsula except for a small area that has a 150M altitude restriction due to John Wayne Airport.  Since there is a National FAA 400 FT limit this restriction does not really apply.

I am planning a small beach tour tomorrow 10/22/2022 so if anyone has any other information please let me know.  I will let you all know how it goes.  Thanks!  

2022-10-21
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

if you intend to follow those "laws" there's no way you can fly your drone in any of those areas without be exposed.  after briefly reading the material, not sure how anyone can get away with flying a drone if the law wanted to work against them.  i see several videos on youtube in all of those places and it looks like any other place or video except most places don't have those strict rules and laws in place.  someone needs to challenge those city and country ordinances.
2022-10-21
Use props
SD_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

I usually stay away from State beaches because of their rules/regs; at least where I live, drones are prohibited. I'll head over to other city or waterfronts to fly. Also I use apps such as B4UFLY, Aloft and DroneUp to check airspace and/or any restrictions or apply for LAANC requests.

2022-10-21
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. Hope that you could get the best recommendation from our fellow DJI Pilots that has experience flying in this location. In addition, you may contact the local aviation authorities in the area for you to be guided. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-10-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules