1005 3 2022-10-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
grey_phantom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 787474 ft
New Zealand

Hi guys
I have some survey to do in Antarctica this summer and would like to use the Phantom 4 RTK drone either:
- Ideally, mission planning with RTK positioning (D-RTK base station)
- Mission planning with PPK positioning.
- Least preferable, manual flight with RTK positioning (D-RTK base station).

I see in the manual on page 64 under 'Flight Environment Requrirements it says, "6. In the Earth’s polar regions the aircraft can only operate in Attitude mode or using vision positioning."

Can anyone please confirm how the P4 RTK drone operates in polar regions?
What latitude is defined by DJI as polar?
Does the regular GNSS mode (like the P4 Pro) still work? I know the P4 Pro works as expected as I used it 2yrs ago there.
Does mission planning work? I would like to plan a terrain following grid mission.
Does the D-RTK base station work and the P4 RTK tag the images with RTK positions?
Does it record PPK data with planned missions or free flight missions?

Thanks for your help.
2022-10-27
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

As a fellow polar researcher, I am interested in the answer to this topic as well (I have not used any DJI drones in polar regions...yet).
2022-10-27
Use props
grey_phantom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 787474 ft
New Zealand

Hi. I did my survey work on Ross Island and the Phantom 4 RTK flew the mapping missions very well. No compass issues. It did loose RTK positioning a few times for 10-20seconds.
I flew all my missions with terrain following using the DJI Base Station. I was fortunate that I had a good DTM from earlier LiDAR that was flown in the area.
Although it had RTK positioning, I only used that for the terrain following. As the area was reasonably big I had to move the base station around so photo positions for each area were not consistent with each other, so I processed the PPK data from all flights against another permanent base station.
2023-2-21
Use props
patiam
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1118740 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for the update, glad it went well!
2023-2-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules