Gimbal tilt up setting bug
2458 7 2022-10-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
No Original Thought
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1364209 ft
United Kingdom

I've been pondering on the reported bug in DJI Fly that involves the gimbal rotate up setting being lost in the drone while in flight.

It's this bug that has had me hold off updating DJI Fly to the latest versions, but after thinking about it, I'm not convinced it's an app big.

What is described is that with a recent version of the Fly app a bug was introduced whereby during flight the gimbal stops rotating up. Going into the setting in the Fly app that allows the upward rotation sees the setting still switched on. Toggling off and on in the app sees the gimbal up rotation working again.

Has anyone actually confirmed that this is definitely an app related issue by downgrading the app to resolve the issue?

2022-10-28
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

My confusion is that if this is the app, then it is very strange behaviour.

It would mean that while the drone is in flight, DJI Fly is sending a command to the drone to disable a feature, but is not changing the setting in the app.

If it was changing the setting in the app, then the off/on toggle is getting very confused in the app.

And why would the app send a command like this in flight.

My gut feel would be that this kind of bug sounds more like a firmware bug - the aircraft firmware losing the setting until the app resends the disable then enable commands  But that would mean that downgrading the app would not resolve the issue.

Does downgrading the app really resolve/prevent the problem?

I haven't been able to fly recently to test this myself, so would be really interested to hear from anyone who has seen the issue first hand.

(Oh, and it's a Mini 2 specific bug, apparently.)
2022-10-28
Use props
blue_canyon21
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23325935 ft
United States

It's app related.

I flew last night with the new app version on my S21 Ultra and had the issue. Flew later with my A7 Lite with app version 1.7.0 and didn't have the issue. Reinstalled version 1.7.0 on my S21 this morning and didn't have the issue.

You're assuming that the position of the gimbal is governed by the drone. If that were the case, the would be able to nearly all the way around. It is the software on the screen device that is stopping it from rotating beyond set parameters.
2022-10-28
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Isn't there  a known problem or feature that causes the gimbal to move away from the extremities of is range when the drone is given pitch in the appropriate direction?
I have certainly seen the up-tilted angle I chose 'permanently' (until in a hover etc. I manually sent the tilt back up to 20?deg) reduced when I pitch the drone one way or the other, I think it was nose down.
I am not sure about when using full down-tilt and pitching the drone nose up.
But the up-tilt and nose down combination does make some sort of sense if the maximum software-permissible up-tilt I near the physical maximum of the gimbal.
I don't remember if the P3adv and M2P have similar limitations.

Could the current problem be related to the 'old' problem? I am not using a current version of the App.
2022-10-28
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for bringing this query with us. Can you please provide us with a short video recording or a screen recording showing the issue for us to check? If you are having issues with the app, kindly please uninstall and reinstall it to the latest version then check if the issue persists. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2022-10-28
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

blue_canyon21 Posted at 10-28 09:34
It's app related.

I flew last night with the new app version on my S21 Ultra and had the issue. Flew later with my A7 Lite with app version 1.7.0 and didn't have the issue. Reinstalled version 1.7.0 on my S21 this morning and didn't have the issue.
I don't think your logic holds up to scrutiny, I'm afraid.

1. The drones firmware will likely have gimbal rotation limits built in - there is no reason that those limits would have to be in the app.

2. The drone can be controlled with just the remote control without the app running. (For example if the app crashes you can still control the aircraft with the RC). I haven't tried this but I'd be willing to bet that the gimbal rotate wheel on the RC will still work without the app running (although you obviously wouldn't be able to observe that on the screen so you'd need to be flying up close to watch directly).

I'm going to experiment with that next time I fly.

Also, the disabling of the gimbal upward rotation is reported as being intermittent, so maybe some coincidence is involved in your experience.

I'm not saying you are definitely wrong, but I don't think your reasoning is sound.
2022-11-15
Use props
No Original Thought
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 10-28 10:46
Isn't there  a known problem or feature that causes the gimbal to move away from the extremities of is range when the drone is given pitch in the appropriate direction?
I have certainly seen the up-tilted angle I chose 'permanently' (until in a hover etc. I manually sent the tilt back up to 20?deg) reduced when I pitch the drone one way or the other, I think it was nose down.
I am not sure about when using full down-tilt and pitching the drone nose up.
From the reports I've read the issue isn't related to the gimbal limits.

Those limits kind of make sense as the gimbal may try to rotate out of range when the drone pitches up or down in order to try to maintain the angle relative to horizontal.

However, as this bug is described, the gimbal can still be titled up and down, but won't pass the 0 degrees mark. So it is as though the 'Allow Upward gimbal rotation' setting has been turned off - though the app still shows is as being on.

Turning it off and back on in the app then allows the gimbal to tilt up again - and my understanding is that you can even do this in flight which implies the gimbal isn't hitting limits and getting physically stuck.

Again, though, I haven't seen the problem myself (in fact I haven't managed to fly since reading about it! :-(. ) and so haven't been able to experiment at all, but I'll have a play next time I do get airborne.
2022-11-15
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No Original Thought Posted at 11-15 14:26
From the reports I've read the issue isn't related to the gimbal limits.

Those limits kind of make sense as the gimbal may try to rotate out of range when the drone pitches up or down in order to try to maintain the angle relative to horizontal.

Fair enough.
2022-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules