I'ts a big story in Israel, all over the news
Hope they find the idiot , but likely all the drones community will suffer
http://www.haaretz.com/news/israel/1.670842
2015-8-12
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Please correct your story. The aircraft involved was a A320 narrow body, not an A380 wide body airplane.
2015-8-12
Use props
hoffman.nir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1757073 ft
  • >>>
Israel

gregg1r Posted at 2015-8-13 03:09
Please correct your story. The aircraft involved was a A320 narrow body, not an A380 wide body airpl ...

I did
2015-8-12
Use props
stvnvicbc
lvl.2

Canada

gregg1r Posted at 2015-8-13 03:09
Please correct your story. The aircraft involved was a A320 narrow body, not an A380 wide body airpl ...

Does the model of the aircraft really make a difference to the story?

Like, is there LESS of a danger to the aircraft if it's a wide body or narrow body?
2015-8-12
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Thank you sir.
2015-8-12
Use props
bradneal24
lvl.3
United States

Man, this is happening every day. Not good!
2015-8-12
Use props
BobbyB
lvl.1

United States

Someone also forgot to tell the billions of birds they're a danger too.
2015-8-12
Use props
vellis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 402552 ft
  • >>>
United States

We are getting extra attention due to the newness of the technology.
Light aircraft near misses are not being publicized.

On the good side, I'm seeing wonderful uses of  the technology make the news too
2015-8-12
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

stvnvicbc Posted at 2015-8-13 03:15

Like, is there LESS of a da ...

Well if you don't know the difference between an A380 with four large turbo fan engines verses a two engine A320, I can't answer your question.

Four engine aircraft are able to survive the loss of one and in some cases two engines without loss of the airplane. An A320 like the USAir plane that crashed a few years back into the Hudson river, not so much so.

One other item to look at with very large jumbo jets is a phenomena known as wake vortex. The amount of air displaced by a super jumbo requires that instead of a 45 second separation of aircraft on takeoff and landings, that the time was increased to 3 minutes.

http://www.skybrary.aero/index.p ... ake_Vortex_Guidance

With the amount of air being displaced by the A380 in flight, I doubt that you would even have a bird strike other than a low speed occurrence on takeoff or landing speeds.
2015-8-12
Use props
EpicDroner
New

Colombia

i read the article;  "The flight crew spotted a dark-colored square drone with four rotors flying in front of them. The drone was passing from right to left at the same altitude as the plane, at a distance of only 100 meters."  really??  those pilots spotted the four rotors and within the time it took to land the drone had passed in front of them a couple of times?  surrrrrrree.  and at the same altitude??  sorry but I'm calling bullsh$t.  also, the way they describe it, the drone was following and keeping up with a plane traveling at about 170 miles and hour lol.  again... surrrrrrre.  
2015-8-12
Use props
stvnvicbc
lvl.2

Canada

gregg1r Posted at 2015-8-13 03:36
Well if you don't know the difference between an A380 with four large turbo fan engines verses a t ...

you obviously missed the point Gregg.   Yes a 380 is twice the size of a 320, so are you trying to say that because the 320 is half the size it has a better chance of missing the drone? Which according to the story "was travelling from right to left 100m in front of the AC".

As for wake vortex, that applies to the force off the rear of the AC and would not affect anything in it's forward line of travel.
2015-8-12
Use props
greenbean
lvl.3
Flight distance : 84783 ft
United States

I WISH PEOPLE WOULD STOP CALLING OUR PHANTOMS DRONES…….CALL IT WHAT IT IS ,     AN AERIAL IMAGING PLATFORM !!!   UNTIL THE P3 GETS 'POI' IT IS NOT A DRONE !!!
2015-8-12
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

Interesting:
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/fear-dr ... rline-pilot-1515001
2015-8-12
Use props
HunterBrooks
lvl.4

United States

greenbean Posted at 2015-8-13 05:54
I WISH PEOPLE WOULD STOP CALLING OUR PHANTOMS DRONES…….CALL IT WHAT IT IS ,     AN AERIAL IMAGING  ...

Ha, I was reading an article yesterday, and according to the definition of a "drone", the P3 is NOT a drone now, but will be once autonomous flight gets added.  

Please don't kill the messenger with all caps please ....  : )
2015-8-12
Use props
L8again
lvl.3

Canada

EpicDroner Posted at 2015-8-13 05:07
i read the article;  "The flight crew spotted a dark-colored square drone with four rotors flying in ...

I saw nothing in the story that suggested the "drone" was keeping up, or passed more than once..did I miss something?
2015-8-12
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

stvnvicbc Posted at 2015-8-13 05:51
you obviously missed the point Gregg.   Yes a 380 is twice the size of a 320, so are you trying to ...

Wake vortex is off more than the rear of the vehicle. They punch a large hole in the atmosphere.

Ever drive down the highway and have a tractor trailer pass you? The rocking back and forth as it goes by is wake vortex hitting your vehicle.

The inlet fan on the A380 engine, is 116" in diameter. A couple pound plastic drone wouldn't even make the engine shudder when hit. Makes no difference if the engine is a Trent 900  or GP7200.
2015-8-12
Use props
ian.mcleanspruc
lvl.1

United Kingdom

greenbean Posted at 2015-8-13 05:54
I WISH PEOPLE WOULD STOP CALLING OUR PHANTOMS DRONES…….CALL IT WHAT IT IS ,     AN AERIAL IMAGING  ...

I'm with you on this greenbean. In the public eye 'drone' is equated with military strikes in war zones etc. and our hobby quadcopters are taking some serious flack from the ignorant. Comparisons are ridiculous inasmuch as a 'drone' has a wingspan of around forty eight feet, carries a third of a ton of fuel and has usually a hundred plus horse power engine.  Now that would be a threat to an airliner! So let's re-educate the public in the interests of our hobby.
2015-8-12
Use props
colin.buckle
lvl.2
Australia

I agree they should not be called "drones", BUT.....
The moment you call it an "aerial imaging platform" you open it up to even more public bashing as then everyone will go down the "what about my privacy" path.
There is clearly no easy answer to this issue of what they should be called, I mean we could even just call them ROAV as that is what they are "Remotely Operated Aerial Vehicles"
The introduction of POI will not make them a drone (my understanding is) as you still have to "fly" it and the nose will just point to the POI to make sure the POI is in frame.
2015-8-12
Use props
jon.howard
lvl.1

United States

stvnvicbc Posted at 2015-8-13 03:15

Like, is there LESS of a da ...

Well... Yes, it does. If you take approximately two to three seconds to consider the implications of a narrow body versus a wide body you'll soon realize that you can only conclude that a wide body increases the chance of contact with a drone than a narrow body by simply considering the sheer size of a wide body plane, not too mention the incredibly long sentences such analyses result in...
2015-8-12
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

if a p3 or any other quad of similar size and weight is gonna bring down a plane, then i better stop flying, whether it is going left to right, or right to left, in front or behind the plane!! media hyping everything about quads or as they like to call them "Drones". LON
2015-8-12
Use props
Snerd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3117539 ft
United States

"............. Pilots on the Brussels Airlines airbus 320 saw a dark-colored drone flying just 100 meters in front of them as they came in to land.........."

"A dark-colored drone", but they show a pic of a white Phantom.   

2015-8-12
Use props
Alterastro
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Something positive for a change: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/fear-dr ... rline-pilot-1515001

And an experts view on the matter... http://spectrum.ieee.org/automat ... ner-hit-small-drone

2015-8-12
Use props
axidify
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2867146 ft
Malaysia

i dunno, drone is easier to pronounce.
2015-8-13
Use props
tylerstock
lvl.1

Canada

gregg1r Posted at 2015-8-13 03:36
Well if you don't know the difference between an A380 with four large turbo fan engines verses a t ...

Here we go...... Dude you just chime in everywhere ??

I remember you tossing in your 2 cents on the thread I was seeking help on , ruining it as it became a place to banter.

Seriously man no one cares. We all know you have no life and probably spend the majority of your life on the Internet.

Your not cool, and adding useless information to make yourself sound educated is just a joke. 2 engines or 4 engines doesn't matter. Something happend that is threatening out hobby Nd people could have gotten seriously injured.

YOU ARE NOT PROFESSOR DUMBLEDORE .     NO ONE CARES
2015-8-13
Use props
tylerstock
lvl.1

Canada

I'm not going to sit here and argue with anyone either but honestly people , if you wanna debate with people and point out errors that don't matter go to where your wanted. This forum is littered with tools who jump on the computer and live an alternate life. I'm not going to bother responding to any response anyone might have as i do have a life and don't care about the tears that are surely going to be shed. But I will say again , NO ONE THINKS YOUR COOL EXCEPT MAYBE YOUR MOTHER. GO BE A COP SOMEHWRE ELSE . THIS IS FOR GUYS TO HAVE FUN AND TALK ABOUT THEIR HOBBY !!!!!!!!
2015-8-13
Use props
feethea
lvl.2
Flight distance : 387940 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Snerd is correct - this wasn't a DJI Phantom (unless it had been given a custom paint job) it sounds more like a 3DR Solo. Nonetheless the pilot was a knobhead!
2015-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules