DJI Avata Propeller Failure Mid-Flight - Avata too sketchy to fly?
2595 16 2022-11-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flyingrob
lvl.1
Flight distance : 380902 ft
United States

I had a propeller fail and fly off mid-flight today, leaving the two screws in the motor.  The incident happened several minutes into the flight, flying straight, and pre-flight visual inspection showed no sign of a failing or damaged propeller.  This was a factory instally propeller, so unless they over-tightened it, it was properly installed.

I'm relatively new to the Avata and to FPV, but this kind of issue really makes me think again about using this drone for professional work, as it can presumably fall out of the sky at any moment.  Is there a way to inspect props reliably before flights, or is it just a matter of time before these props fail, and you just hope for the best?

two screws fully intact after crashing show the propeller failed and flew off

two screws fully intact after crashing show the propeller failed and flew off
2022-11-2
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there flyingrob. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Avata. Since this unfortunate event happened it would be best to send the DJI unit in for proper assessment. Kindly please find this DJI link ( https://dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav ) helpful in contacting our DJI Support Team for further assistance. Again, I am sorry and thank you.
2022-11-2
Use props
DowntownRDB
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 1722 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yikes, that's not good.  Appears to have been a manufacturing defect on the prop.  
2022-11-3
Use props
celltx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7399311 ft

Israel

I wonder if it's possible to modify the firmware to fly on 3 propellers in case of 4th propeller or motor failure? This would be sort of emergency mode in case of need.

For that, one might need to reverse the rotation of one of the propellers. Does DJI ESC support the reversing?
2022-11-3
Use props
MisterSpyezFPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1663 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/TfKUC49AJ-w
2022-11-4
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

HERE is my experience with a failed propeller. I no longer use DJI stock props.
2022-11-4
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44957 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-2 21:55
Hello there flyingrob. I am sorry to know what happened to your DJI Avata. Since this unfortunate event happened it would be best to send the DJI unit in for proper assessment. Kindly please find this DJI link ( https://dji.com/support?site=brandsite&from=nav ) helpful in contacting our DJI Support Team for further assistance. Again, I am sorry and thank you.

Hello Sthephen, could you clarify if DJI will maintain warranty or care fresh if aircraft is using an after market props?

Thanks
2022-11-4
Use props
MisterSpyezFPV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1663 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

props seem quite sturdy in this youtube short

https://youtube.com/shorts/LlIZVZgmcBA?feature=share
2022-11-4
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

MisterSpyezFPV Posted at 11-4 08:29
props seem quite sturdy in this youtube short

https://youtube.com/shorts/LlIZVZgmcBA?feature=share

OK I am bringing a carrot for pre-flight checks going forward. lol
2022-11-4
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44957 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Bob Brown Posted at 11-4 11:08
OK I am bringing a carrot for pre-flight checks going forward. lol

Organic baby carrots
2022-11-4
Use props
djiuser_zzksDeg8jWfZ
lvl.2
United States

Same happened to me. I reached out to support and gave them logs and they told me to buy a new prop.

I think they can just tear apart under high load.
2022-11-8
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_zzksDeg8jWfZ Posted at 11-8 19:19
Same happened to me. I reached out to support and gave them logs and they told me to buy a new prop.

I think they can just tear apart under high load.

Not true... if you scroll up and watch my videos mine fell apart under almost no load. Don't be fooled, it appears that DJI props have a defect or they have bad materials in a large batch of them.

You have been warned. lol
2022-11-9
Use props
fans0224872e
lvl.1

United States

I too have just had this very issue happen to me about an hour ago. I was flying at 200 feet in open air and one of the props broke apart and it spun violently to the ground. Going to send it in for warranty repair today.
2023-1-5
Use props
Andre Laf
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

so what are good aftermarket to use
2023-1-5
Use props
Leophirr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 312717 ft

France

The same happened to me and I found the Avata on the ground in the same conditions: Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gEDT0DseeEs
2023-1-9
Use props
flyingrob
lvl.1
Flight distance : 380902 ft
United States

fans0224872e Posted at 1-5 11:17
I too have just had this very issue happen to me about an hour ago. I was flying at 200 feet in open air and one of the props broke apart and it spun violently to the ground. Going to send it in for warranty repair today.

Good luck on that.  I sent mine in and since it had a prior crash (impact detected shown on goggles) the warranty was no longer valid.  This kind of thing happens on moderate landings so its pretty much a way for them to get out of any warranty work despite their defects.
2023-1-9
Use props
Novak1975
lvl.1
Flight distance : 502 ft
Australia

I think i had a prop disintegrate today, flew 2 battery's, had 27% left of the 3rd battery when i was not far away (Luckily, earlier i was over 1km away and in a very hard to get to location) when the aircraft just instantly started into a mad tumble, no reason, when i got to the AC on the ground there was 1 prop gone but the 2 bolts were still in place, a second prop (directly opposite, same rotating direction) was half separated but kind still attached. very strange, I am sending the unit back to DJI, see what they say i guess, a little concerning, ive had a Mavic Pro for years and still have the spare props for it, never crashed it, 3rd flight with the Avata and this happens.
20230705_175759.jpg
20230705_175815.jpg
2023-7-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules