4360 27 2022-11-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6068707 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can DJI please confirm for me that the C1 classification does not yet work in the UK.

This is regardless of UK users going through the checking process you will be releasing in the next 60 days, whereby screenshots of the C1 compliant firmware being installed plus the drone Serial # are provided.

If you are in the UK, you cannot fly this drone under the A1 category because the drone has been certified for the EU/EAA and NOT the UK.

Confirm yes or no?
2022-11-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. With regards to the C1 classification in the EU, kindly please refer to this link https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... -for-mavic-3-series . Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-11-5
Use props
djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-5 02:09
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. With regards to the C1 classification in the EU, kindly please refer to this link https://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/dji-granted-worlds-first-c1-certificate-for-mavic-3-series . Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.

But the UK is not in the EU, so please confirm specifically for the UK
2022-11-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv Posted at 11-5 02:10
But the UK is not in the EU, so please confirm specifically for the UK

Except the UK CAA adopted the same EASA rules for specific and open categories,  they may change them, but they haven't yet.
2022-11-5
Use props
djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-5 02:23
Except the UK CAA adopted the same EASA rules for specific and open categories,  they may change them, but they haven't yet.

Both the EASA and CAA specifically noted that retrospective certification wasn't possible
2022-11-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv Posted at 11-5 02:28
Both the EASA and CAA specifically noted that retrospective certification wasn't possible

Yep and then they changed their mind on it,  DJI pulled off a miracle.
2022-11-5
Use props
djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-5 02:35
Yep and then they changed their mind on it,  DJI pulled off a miracle.

Can you link specifically to that reference, CAP document would be preferred but a simple blog post under the CAA site would work as well
2022-11-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv Posted at 11-5 02:42
Can you link specifically to that reference, CAP document would be preferred but a simple blog post under the CAA site would work as well

https://www.caa.co.uk/consumers/ ... -the-open-category/
2022-11-5
Use props
djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'll help you out here by SPECIFICALLY linking to the part of the document you seem to have wilfully neglected to read.

Type of Drone
From 1 January 2023 new drones will have to meet a set of product standards, and some may do before this date. These will be classed from C0 to C4, based on the weight and capability of the drone, and will determine how and where you can fly.

The Mavic 3 is not C1 certified. Thus, it is neither a new drone, nor does it class as C1 prior to 1/1/23.

Can someone from DJI please confirm whether they are in talks with the CAA regarding retrospective classification.
2022-11-5
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv Posted at 11-5 08:35
I'll help you out here by SPECIFICALLY linking to the part of the document you seem to have wilfully neglected to read.

Type of DroneFrom 1 January 2023 new drones will have to meet a set of product standards, and some may do before this date. These will be classed from C0 to C4, based on the weight and capability of the drone, and will determine how and where you can fly.

Mavic 3 Classic is C1 certified out of the box,  the others you apply the new firmware and then they will be issuing the label to apply.
2022-11-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv Posted at 11-5 08:35

Type of DroneFrom 1 January 2023 new drones will have to meet a set of product standards, and some may do before this date. These will be classed from C0 to C4, based on the weight and capability of the drone, and will determine how and where you can fly.

You can see the C1 label in this video

2022-11-6
Use props
djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-6 00:07
You can see the C1 label in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHq1wwMj-5A

I'm talking about the Mavic 3. The Mavic 3 Classic is a totally different drone which has been released from the production line with classification already in place.
2022-11-6
Use props
Ian in London
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-5 02:09
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. With regards to the C1 classification in the EU, kindly please refer to this link https://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/dji-granted-worlds-first-c1-certificate-for-mavic-3-series . Should you have other inquiries, please don't hesitate to reach us. Thank you for your valued support.

HI Paladin

Is this classification exercise going to be rolled out for other models, like the Mini 2 or Mini 3, or even the Air 2S?

Very best
Ian
2022-11-6
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Ian in London Posted at 11-6 03:03
HI Paladin

Is this classification exercise going to be rolled out for other models, like the Mini 2 or Mini 3, or even the Air 2S?

Hello, Ian. We appreciate your response. We don't have any information yet with regard to this inquiry of yours. For any updates, please stay tuned to the latest news on our DJI official website at www.dji.com. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-11-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv Posted at 11-6 02:29
I'm talking about the Mavic 3. The Mavic 3 Classic is a totally different drone which has been released from the production line with classification already in place.

There will be a programme coming to get the C1 label for an existing drone once the firmware is updated to the latest EU compliant firmware.

https://www.dji.com/newsroom/new ... -for-mavic-3-series
2022-11-6
Use props
djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-6 04:20
There will be a programme coming to get the C1 label for an existing drone once the firmware is updated to the latest EU compliant firmware.

https://www.dji.com/newsroom/news/dji-granted-worlds-first-c1-certificate-for-mavic-3-series

Correct, I've already referred to this in the original post, but there's no regulation in place that allows retrospective marking. Without that specifically in place, it's no different to drawing your own driving license in MS Paint and saying you're allowed to drive.
2022-11-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv Posted at 11-6 04:22
Correct, I've already referred to this in the original post, but there's no regulation in place that allows retrospective marking. Without that specifically in place, it's no different to drawing your own driving license in MS Paint and saying you're allowed to drive.

Yes the EU have agreed to retrospective marking on this drone as long as the process to prove the firmware update has been done is in place,  also they changed the EU compliant firmware to make it even harder to roll back.
2022-11-6
Use props
djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-6 04:23
Yes the EU have agreed to retrospective marking on this drone as long as the process to prove the firmware update has been done is in place,  also they changed the EU compliant firmware to make it even harder to roll back.

If you have a link to that exact point - retrospective marking - that will satisfy my query 100%

I know my firmware is compliant because it said so in the release notes a few days ago. I know I can apply for a sticker when DJI open the process. I simply need proof from a governing body that once the sticker is on the drone it's legal in the C1 category.
2022-11-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv Posted at 11-6 04:25
If you have a link to that exact point - retrospective marking - that will satisfy my query 100%

I know my firmware is compliant because it said so in the release notes a few days ago. I know I can apply for a sticker when DJI open the process. I simply need proof from a governing body that once the sticker is on the drone it's legal in the C1 category.

There's the press release saying they certified an existing product,   

https://presse.tuv.com/en/tuev-r ... o-new-eu-directive/
2022-11-6
Use props
djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-6 04:29
There's the press release saying they certified an existing product,   

https://presse.tuv.com/en/tuev-rheinland-certifies-worlds-first-aircraft-according-to-new-eu-directive/

All it says is the Mavic 3 system, and as we know the only Mavic 3 drone to have the marking is the Classic. This isn't solid proof via a regulatory document that satisfies my need for proof that retrospective marking accepted. I have compatible firmware, and I could get a sticker, I could then take my drone into the city where I currently fly my Mini 3 and end up with my kit being confiscated because the police don't know the rules and I cannot find the legislation or regulatory article that says sticking a C1 marking on my drone means it's OK to fly in my city.
2022-11-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv Posted at 11-6 04:36
All it says is the Mavic 3 system, and as we know the only Mavic 3 drone to have the marking is the Classic. This isn't solid proof via a regulatory document that satisfies my need for proof that retrospective marking accepted. I have compatible firmware, and I could get a sticker, I could then take my drone into the city where I currently fly my Mini 3 and end up with my kit being confiscated because the police don't know the rules and I cannot find the legislation or regulatory article that says sticking a C1 marking on my drone means it's OK to fly in my city.

Then you should email the CAA for clarification.  As they approved Mavic 3 after it went on sale.  
I'd be more concerned about the discussions that CAA won't recognise a C marking issued in Europe and that they want to do their own certification.
2022-11-6
Use props
djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DAFlys Posted at 11-6 04:46
Then you should email the CAA for clarification.  As they approved Mavic 3 after it went on sale.  
I'd be more concerned about the discussions that CAA won't recognise a C marking issued in Europe and that they want to do their own certification.

Actually, I can help you with that. When the UK left the EU, we dragged everything across from the EASA. And I mean everything, which included the fact that as long as a drone was certified, it was covered - and there was nothing at all that said a drone flown in the UK has to be certified in the UK. Why would there be, we copied and pasted EU regs.

So, when the Mavic 3 Classic hits doorsteps in the UK, it is fully legal for you to put your OP ID on it, head to your local city centre and fly it around, adhering to the rule of no purposeful overflight of people, of course.
2022-11-6
Use props
Axelz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3427999 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have a watch of and   
2022-11-6
Use props
djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Axelz Posted at 11-6 06:34
Have a watch of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkM-uHPZWAE..

Yes that's Mark Wingad. He and I have spoken at length about this topic. He's released that video plus another one addressing some points we discussed in one of his groups.
2022-11-6
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_ocf3fijAlbGv Posted at 11-6 05:00
Actually, I can help you with that. When the UK left the EU, we dragged everything across from the EASA. And I mean everything, which included the fact that as long as a drone was certified, it was covered - and there was nothing at all that said a drone flown in the UK has to be certified in the UK. Why would there be, we copied and pasted EU regs.

So, when the Mavic 3 Classic hits doorsteps in the UK, it is fully legal for you to put your OP ID on it, head to your local city centre and fly it around, adhering to the rule of no purposeful overflight of people, of course.

Yes agreed but there was reporting that the U.K. would have their own body to issue a UKCx label which would be required,  as far as I know that’s not happened yet but may come in the future.   You’ll not in all the press releases about the c1 label the U.K. is not mentioned but other non eu countries are.  
2022-11-6
Use props
Axelz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just an update - DFT in the UK have announced today the C class markings will no longer be recognised in the UK in 2023.... so this becomes a mute point in about a month and a half... a shame in some ways.
314508387_10222902319921206_232961364832219947_n.jpg
2022-11-11
Use props
Krishack
lvl.1
Flight distance : 362484 ft
United Kingdom

If i live in uk but still want to have that c1 certificate because i travel in Europe and probably next year i will go back to live in Bulgaria what i need to to to receive c1
2022-12-25
Use props
Axelz
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Krishack Posted at 12-25 10:37
If i live in uk but still want to have that c1 certificate because i travel in Europe and probably next year i will go back to live in Bulgaria what i need to to to receive c1

Currently no official way to do this if you are in the UK. As on their main forum post https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=280867&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D772%26typeid%3D772 they state under FAQ's - note this doesn't apparently work on the RC Pro but will on the RC or using the app on phone/tablet and standard controller:

1. How to get the C1 Label for my Mavic 3 or Mavic 3 Cine?
The C1 label application portal is only available when your drone fulfills the following 3 conditions:
a. Your drone type is Mavic 3 or Mavic 3 Cine;
b. DJI APP version is 1.9.0 or above and Firmware version is 01.00.0900 or above;
c. Drone now is in the European Economic Area (EEA) ;
2022-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules