Battery issues
1088 9 2015-8-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
xgenmods
lvl.2

United States

Ever since I updated to 1.3 I have been having issues. I flew 6 perfect flights on my new brand new bird before this issue flawlessly. After the update I tried a battery calibration by flying in a 3 foot hover till it was forced to land and then leaving it on till it showed 5%. Upon the next charge I got battery life at 99% and a capacity of 4200. This was exactly the same as it showed directly after the firmware update. I then flew and I had my battery drop to 89% within the first minute. Shortly after I noticed the voltage falling quickly and bouncing around allot. I landed and tried charging the battery again and was recomended to turn the battery on while charging. I was also told that one cell must be under 3.3 volts in order for the calibration to work correctly and that the drain needed to be continuous from 100% all the way to 3.3 volts on one cell without interupting power. So I flew the inspire once again with a full charge all the way down to a forced landing. This brought me to about 8%. Without turning anything off I removed the props and brought it inside. I let it sit till it hit 3.29 (1st cell only) and went to turn it off. Before I got to it it dropped a bit more on cell one (in secounds) to 3.19 and the inspire shut down on its own.  I then allowed the battery to cool for aprox 10 min before chargering it again. I let it fully charge and then turned the battery on and allowed it to full charge again. I am still left with a battery life of 98% on a brand new battery. I do have the correct capacity now however I am having trust issues with this battery and would love to hear if i should send it in to be warrantied.  Also I am now being told that all cells must be 3.3 or below for the calibration to work correctly. I am at a loss here as to what is correct and if that is the case how would I make this happen being the battery shutdown on its own before that can happen. I was also told that the cells should be much better matched than mine are showing in a discharge. I would love some answers.  I am attaching screen shots of my last calibration discharge and the following full charge.

1.png
unnamed.png
2015-8-13
Use props
timswimm
DJI team

Hong Kong

have you ever fully discharge it ? how many flights you had with this battery?
2015-8-13
Use props
xgenmods
lvl.2

United States

timswimm, I explained all of this information in my post.
2015-8-13
Use props
xgenmods
lvl.2

United States

As a note before the firmware update my battery life was at 100% as I would expect to see with a new battery. As soon as the firmware was updated is when the drop occured.
2015-8-13
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

"I was also told that one cell must be under 3.3 volts in order for the calibration to work correctly and that the drain needed to be continuous from 100% all the way to 3.3 volts on one cell without interupting power."

Who told you this ... is this coming from DJI?

I never got them to be this specific about it ...

Also ... 98% ... pretty darn close to 100%
I wouldn´t pay to much attention to this ... As long as your total flight time on one charge isn´t dramatically changing I would be happy with that!
The difference 3.19-3.39 ... this gap ... is that happening just as the batteries are draining at the very end ... or does it happen earlier?

2015-8-13
Use props
xgenmods
lvl.2

United States

It was someone on another forum that appears to be very knowledgeable. This was after trying the 5% method and no change. What are your thoughts on the imbalance on the discharge and fluctuations of the cells during flight?
2015-8-13
Use props
xgenmods
lvl.2

United States

w1der Posted at 2015-8-13 19:09
"I was also told that one cell must be under 3.3 volts in order for the calibration to work correctl ...

More less at the end.
2015-8-13
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

xgenmods@gmail. Posted at 2015-8-13 19:16
It was someone on another forum that appears to be very knowledgeable. This was after trying the 5%  ...

Yea ... lots of people appears to "know things" but a lot of them is just guessing and "assuming" things ...
As long as we don´t know it´s coming from DJI we don´t know what to listen to really.

As I said ... I wouldn´t worry to much about the "98%" as this is only an assessment of the batteries expected life time. The assessment could be wrong and as long as your flight time isn´t dropping I wouldn´t worry.

How ever ... the imbalance ... (I did some edit on my prior post) ...
If I where you I would send that screenshot to DJI and ask them about it.
2015-8-13
Use props
remltr
lvl.3

United States

I have 4 batteries. When I did the calibration, I waited until one cell reached 3.29 and then shut off the battery. The other cells varied from 3.3 to 3.9. I was showing 0% at 3.5 on the lowest cell as it was discharging.

When I charged them they all showed full mah at 100% and anywhere from 98% to 100% life.

I will fly them all as normal.

I don't think you have an issue that will cause problems.
2015-8-13
Use props
freddiebd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1891184 ft
Switzerland

Correct. Blade Strike - (DJI Rep) and Lynh Phan (very knowledgeable guy on multiple forums) both say 3.3v is the key on the latest FW. Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 4.26.10 p.m..png Screen Shot 2015-08-13 at 4.25.06 p.m..png
2015-8-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules