No power to camera after update
1796 11 2022-11-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ivanovbg
lvl.1
United States

I just updated my DJI RS 3 Pro to 01.00.01.00 and now I can no longer power up my Sony FX3 through the middle power on the Ronin. What happened?? Please help!!
2022-11-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Can you please send us a video sample showing the issue for us to check it here on our end? Please keep us posted. Thank you.
2022-11-9
Use props
ivanovbg
lvl.1
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 11-9 23:47
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out and we're deeply sorry for the trouble that this has caused. Can you please send us a video sample showing the issue for us to check it here on our end? Please keep us posted. Thank you.

I solved the issue myself. Apparently "auto lock" has to be set to "fold and lock" before the gimbal is powered on for it to power the camera - which makes absolutely no sense. The 3 settings for "auto lock" are 1) recenter & lock, 2) fold and lock, and 3) do nothing. None of these imply they have anything to do with powering the camera whatsoever. Also, I did not see anything in the manual that suggests that only the 2nd option (fold and lock) powers the camera.

Is that really how it's supposed to be or is my gimbal defective??
2022-11-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

ivanovbg Posted at 11-10 12:55
I solved the issue myself. Apparently "auto lock" has to be set to "fold and lock" before the gimbal is powered on for it to power the camera - which makes absolutely no sense. The 3 settings for "auto lock" are 1) recenter & lock, 2) fold and lock, and 3) do nothing. None of these imply they have anything to do with powering the camera whatsoever. Also, I did not see anything in the manual that suggests that only the 2nd option (fold and lock) powers the camera.

Hi, there. We will confirm this problem with the relevant team and keep you updated.
Thank you for your understanding.
2022-11-12
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Update:
We have confirmed your problem with the relevant team, please check the following details:
1. The RS 3 Pro currently cannot supply power to the camera, which has nothing to do with the gimbal’s automatic axis lock setting.
2. After the RS 3 Pro gimbal is connected to the camera, the actual power supply depends on the charging power supported by the camera itself and the power used by the camera. The power consumed is almost negligible.
Thank you.
2022-11-14
Use props
ivanovbg
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-14 01:38
Update:
We have confirmed your problem with the relevant team, please check the following details:
1. The RS 3 Pro currently cannot supply power to the camera, which has nothing to do with the gimbal’s automatic axis lock setting.

"The RS 3 Pro currently cannot supply power to the camera" - that is INCORRECT.

What exactly did you confirm with your team??

The FX3 connects to the middle port on the DJI RS 3 PRO via a USB cable. As long as there is a battery in the camera it will power it up and act as if the camera is plugged into power, using very little of the actual battery inside the camera.

So I honestly am not sure what you're saying but clearly you have the wrong information.
2022-11-14
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

ivanovbg Posted at 11-14 03:01
"The RS 3 Pro currently cannot supply power to the camera" - that is INCORRECT.

What exactly did you confirm with your team??

Sorry for the misunderstanding caused. I've confirmed with the relevant team that the DJI RS3 Pro doesn't have the feature to supply power for the camera. The camera may act as if it is charging when connected to the RS 3 Pro cause the port has voltage ( This also depends on the power supply logic of the camera). But whether it is charging or not depends on the charging power and service power of the camera.  And based on our test, the power consumption in this charging process is almost negligible for the gimbal.

As for the settings you mentioned, I'll forward them to the engineers for further checking. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to let us know.
2022-11-14
Use props
SilentD1
lvl.2
Denmark

DJI Natalia Posted at 11-14 23:39
Sorry for the misunderstanding caused. I've confirmed with the relevant team that the DJI RS3 Pro doesn't have the feature to supply power for the camera. The camera may act as if it is charging when connected to the RS 3 Pro cause the port has voltage ( This also depends on the power supply logic of the camera). But whether it is charging or not depends on the charging power and service power of the camera.  And based on our test, the power consumption in this charging process is almost negligible for the gimbal.

As for the settings you mentioned, I'll forward them to the engineers for further checking. Should you have any further questions, please feel free to let us know.

I also tested this claim, and the camera is definitely being charged by the gimbal, But the lock mode seems irelevant. The quirk is that the cable must be inserted before powering on, and the camera may not be turned on or off after the gimbal is turned on. Doing so will stop the charging.

It also charges the camera when its turned off.
Also you cannot have a focus motor attached to the bottom port at the same time, otherwise it wont charge either. It seems to me that the power which was intended for the focus motor is being given to the camera instead.

Which is fine. I mean dont fix that!. I wish they would allow more power through the usb ports to charge and power anything attached to them. Why not!

2022-11-15
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

SilentD1 Posted at 11-15 09:57
I also tested this claim, and the camera is definitely being charged by the gimbal, But the lock mode seems irelevant. The quirk is that the cable must be inserted before powering on, and the camera may not be turned on or off after the gimbal is turned on. Doing so will stop the charging.

Thanks for your reply and feedback. Hope you can enjoy your DJI RS 3 Pro as well.
2022-11-15
Use props
ivanovbg
lvl.1
United States

SilentD1 Posted at 11-15 09:57
I also tested this claim, and the camera is definitely being charged by the gimbal, But the lock mode seems irelevant. The quirk is that the cable must be inserted before powering on, and the camera may not be turned on or off after the gimbal is turned on. Doing so will stop the charging.

Thank you for that info! Soooooo many little quirks and rules with this gimbal it's unreal. It's like they made it with the intention of making it as difficult as possible. The first Ronin was a lot easier to use. This one - epic fail if you ask me. I've spent so many hours trying to figure out how to power this camera through this gimbal and I shouldn't have. I should have been able to just plug it in and have it working. At that price tag limitations such as these should simply not exist.
2022-11-19
Use props
fans71580c46
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I have an original Ronin S and a Ronin RS2 and having read through all the problems, will not be considering a RS3 Pro. The development progress between the various versions definitely has taken a step backwards with the original S providing two 12V power connections at the camera base plate, meaning that any gear mounted can be powered locally and permit 360degree pan rotation without any cable entanglement issues.
2023-10-16
Use props
Jacksonsmith023
lvl.1

Pakistan

ivanovbg Posted at 2022-11-10 12:55
I solved the issue myself. Apparently "auto lock" has to be set to "fold and lock" before the gimbal is powered on for it to power the camera - which makes absolutely no sense. The 3 settings for "auto lock" are 1) recenter & lock, 2) fold and lock, and 3) do nothing. None of these imply they have anything to do with powering the camera whatsoever. Also, I did not see anything in the manual that suggests that only the 2nd option (fold and lock) powers the camera.

Issue solved
2023-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules