mini pro 3 refused to land
5254 23 2022-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
. . . . . .
lvl.2

United States

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced a situation where a mini pro 3 refused to land?
I had an experience today where my drone would not land due to 'detecting' an unsafe landing area, but I could not override by holding the throttle down. I could not land anywhere else due to jagged rocks and powdery snow. The drone would not self force land itself despite going past critically low battery levels (time remaining dropped to zero).

Eventually it started to lose the ability to hold a steady position, and rather than simply waiting for it to run out of battery completely and fall, I managed to grab it from underneath and pull the battery out.

thanks
Ian

2022-11-12
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don't have a Mini 3 but do get these warnings at times with other DJI drones.
I have the impression, though I may be wrong,  that it may be necessary to 'accept' the message by touching it etc., after which the down stick will work. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
I am pretty sure you could replicate the situation in a safer place to test to see what happens.

With regards to the grabbing it and pulling the battery, I would suggest 2 alternatives to pulling the battery.
1) Hold your hand still and simultaneously hold the throttle closed, if the drone 'thinks' it is still /has-landed the throttle closed position would normally shut down the motors.
2) Tilt the drone so that the props are vertical, this may shut down the motors and 'snatch and twist' is used by some peoples a routine method of hand catching....personally whilst I land a drone in my cupped hand quite a lot I think snatch and twist is best left for emergency use.
2022-11-12
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

Push UP on the stick, then move it to a better location to land.
2022-11-12
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 11-12 09:12
I have the impression, though I may be wrong,  that it may be necessary to 'accept' the message by touching it etc., after which the down stick will work. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
I am pretty sure you could replicate the situation in a safer place to test to see what happens.

Yes, cancel the message on the screen, than down stick works again
2022-11-12
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello, Ian.  Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to read about the refused-to-land concern you're experiencing with your Mini 3 Pro. Have you tried different flight environments to isolate this concern? Please follow the steps below to troubleshoot the issue:
1. Please check whether the remote controller’s control stick mode and the control stick operation are correct. If the control stick mode is Mode 2, push the left control stick down to land.
2. Calibrate the remote controller and ensure that the remote controller’s control stick can respond normally.
3. Check whether the landing ground meets the conditions (for example, whether the ground is flat, or whether there is a water surface). For drones with a landing protection function, when the Downward Vision System works and the ground does not meet the landing conditions, the aircraft will hover and wait for the user’s further operation.
4. Avoid flying through clouds or in a heavy fog environment, which will affect the Downward Vision System.
5. Remove any payload under the aircraft which may affect the Downward Vision System.
6. Make sure everything is updated:

Additional Notes:
· The Downward Vision Systems work best when the aircraft is at an altitude from 0.5 to 30 m if there
is no GNSS available. Extra caution is required if the altitude of the aircraft is above 30 m as the
Vision Systems may be affected.
·  Keep the sensors clean at all times. DO NOT tamper with the sensors. DO NOT use the aircraft in
dusty or humid environments.
·  DO NOT fly when it is raining, foggy, or if there is no clear sight.
Check the following before each takeoff:
a. Make sure there are no stickers or any other obstructions over the Infrared Sensing and Vision Systems.
b. If there is any dirt, dust, or water on the Infrared Sensing and Vision Systems, clean it with a soft
cloth. Do not use any cleanser that contains alcohol.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
2022-11-12
Use props
. . . . . .
lvl.2

United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 11-12 09:35
Push UP on the stick, then move it to a better location to land.

As the post said, there was no other place to land
2022-11-12
Use props
. . . . . .
lvl.2

United States

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 11-12 09:12

Thanks - will remember those tricks if it happens again
2022-11-12
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-12 10:53
Hello, Ian.  Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to read about the refused-to-land concern you're experiencing with your Mini 3 Pro. Have you tried different flight environments to isolate this concern? Please follow the steps below to troubleshoot the issue:
1. Please check whether the remote controller’s control stick mode and the control stick operation are correct. If the control stick mode is Mode 2, push the left control stick down to land.
2. Calibrate the remote controller and ensure that the remote controller’s control stick can respond normally.

You didn't understand what he was asking about at all.
None of your post is any help to him.
2022-11-12
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

. . . . . . Posted at 11-12 17:12
Thanks - will remember those tricks if it happens again

I would suggest you 'practise it', I find experiencing these things is the best way to 'remember' them, plus it helps remove the panic.
2022-11-12
Use props
Tuxtard
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9975610 ft
Serbia

It happens sometimes. Grab the drone from beneath and flip it over. It will stop the motors.
2022-11-13
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

JJB* Posted at 11-12 10:44
Yes, cancel the message on the screen, than down stick works again

In some situations, this message is not present. I recently encountered this myself.
2022-11-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Labroides Posted at 11-12 17:49
You didn't understand what he was asking about at all.
None of your post is any help to him.

Hi, Labroides. I'm sorry for any confusion and if you feel this way regarding the statement provided. To clarify the information, if in case the drone would not land due to 'detecting' an unsafe landing area there's a possibility that the concern is regarding the Downward Vision System since it is the one detecting any obstacle detection and avoidance. It was also mentioned that he could not override by holding the throttle down, which might be a problem with the remote controller that's why it is included in the steps above. We hope that this clarifies the provided suggested resolution. We'd like you to know that we appreciate your valuable feedback. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-11-14
Use props
Drey. I
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1757375 ft
  • >>>
United States

You could have hand landed.
2022-11-14
Use props
Drey. I
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tuxtard Posted at 11-13 09:43
It happens sometimes. Grab the drone from beneath and flip it over. It will stop the motors.

I have used that when I needed to land on a boat in the open ocean.
2022-11-14
Use props
djiuser_SUilMk3Qjz42
lvl.2

United States

Drey. I Posted at 11-14 04:53
I have used that when I needed to land on a boat in the open ocean.

This happens to me from time to time as well.  It doesn't want to land with all the objects it sees close to itself.

Click on the ... in the upper right corner of the controller
You will be on the Safety tab
If you can see the done and it is safe to land, turn Obstacle Avoidance Off
The done will now pay attention to the sticks and do whatever you want (including crashing into whatever it was worried about crashing into)
2022-11-14
Use props
. . . . . .
lvl.2

United States

djiuser_SUilMk3Qjz42 Posted at 11-14 06:15
This happens to me from time to time as well.  It doesn't want to land with all the objects it sees close to itself.

Click on the ... in the upper right corner of the controller

Thanks for the suggestion - I tried turning off obstacle avoidance but it still would not land (and when I went to grab it from below it did try and move away from my hand).  This makes me think it was an issue with the controller not getting the override or obstacle avoidance signal to the drone.
2022-11-14
Use props
. . . . . .
lvl.2

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 11-14 04:17
Hi, Labroides. I'm sorry for any confusion and if you feel this way regarding the statement provided. To clarify the information, if in case the drone would not land due to 'detecting' an unsafe landing area there's a possibility that the concern is regarding the Downward Vision System since it is the one detecting any obstacle detection and avoidance. It was also mentioned that he could not override by holding the throttle down, which might be a problem with the remote controller that's why it is included in the steps above. We hope that this clarifies the provided suggested resolution. We'd like you to know that we appreciate your valuable feedback. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Hi Gamora

Your suggestion of the controller issue makes sense - I also tried turning off obstacle avoidance, however the drone still tried to avoid my hand when I went to grab it, which suggests that it was not receiving either the throttle override or obstacle avoidance commands. Will do updates and hope it doesn't occur again
2022-11-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

. . . . . . Posted at 11-14 08:24
Thanks for the suggestion - I tried turning off obstacle avoidance but it still would not land (and when I went to grab it from below it did try and move away from my hand).  This makes me think it was an issue with the controller not getting the override or obstacle avoidance signal to the drone.

It's not possible to turn off the downward facing sensor.
2022-11-14
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

. . . . . . Posted at 11-14 08:30
Hi Gamora

Your suggestion of the controller issue makes sense - I also tried turning off obstacle avoidance, however the drone still tried to avoid my hand when I went to grab it, which suggests that it was not receiving either the throttle override or obstacle avoidance commands. Will do updates and hope it doesn't occur again

IR sensors always work
2022-11-14
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

This will always happen due to the downward sensors, its easy to overcome and i welcome it doing this as it gives me time to assess.
Once it stops ascending, apply full stick down. I don't think i wait till it stops, i cant remember now.
2022-11-14
Use props
K9JDN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 893819 ft
  • >>>
United States

This has happened to me a couple of times with my Mini 3 Pro, also.  I was fortunate enough to have another suitable area close by to fly to and attempt landing again.  I did so, and it landed fine.  I was curious as to why it wouldn't land but just caulked it up as a weird anomaly.  Sometimes, I think these newer drones are just a little too smart!
2022-11-14
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

. . . . . . Posted at 11-14 08:30
Hi Gamora

Hi, Ian. Thank you for the update. Hopefully, that will fix the issue but if the issue persists after the above troubleshooting methods have been tried and doing the helpful suggestions of the co-pilots, you may consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis.  You may submit an online repair request through this link: {https://repair.dji.com/repair/index}. If you need assistance with creating a ticket, you may contact DJI support at https://www.dji.com/support. Your kind understanding is appreciated and thank you for your continued support. Safe flying!
2022-11-14
Use props
Drey. I
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You don't grab it. You land it on your hand.
2022-11-15
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Drey. I Posted at 11-15 05:18
You don't grab it. You land it on your hand.

and the thread's  title and subject are what????    It 'was not obeying a command to land' or for some reason not obeying a down-stick command when 'low'......wouldn't  that make it  somewhat difficult to "land it on your hand"
2022-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules