Cracked prop guard on a light crash
1556 7 2022-11-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 618904 ft
United States

On my first flight with the Avata today I was having a good time (ran 4 batteries through it), got a little over zealous and clipped a wood pole.  The Avata fell but I was able to Turtle Mode it, and get it back flying, only damage I found was a crack that goes almost all teh way around the prop guard. Its not completely cracked through, but I am impressed how easily the the plastic was damaged.  Anyone else see these kind of cracks happen on fairly light hits?

I ordered 2 more protectors just to have some spares since these seem more fragile than I expected. (happy its cheap, but still less than awesome)

2022-11-12_17-32-24.jpg 2022-11-12_17-33-06.jpg
2022-11-12
Use props
FPVTrendz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1241020 ft
United States

I've had so many crashes and never had this happen yet (the big word here is yet lol). So it seems maybe this one was faulty from the start. My drone even fell 62 feet onto concrete and just got a scratch and a few scuffs, however, I must say it crushed my battery lol. It's fairly easy to replace it though, so when you get your new one, look on YouTube, lots of videos there showing how to replace it.
2022-11-12
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, JoeJK3D. Thank you for reaching out and we are sorry to read about the accident. On the contrary, we are glad to know that only minimal damage has been incurred by the drone. Please note that the DJI Avata propeller guard will be distorted if the drone flies forward and collides at a speed of 8-10 m/s. Furthermore, we highly suggest that you continue to monitor the performance of the drone. If you notice some abnormalities after the said crash, you may consider sending the drone back to us for a proper diagnosis as such an accident may cause damage to its internal components. Should the need arise, you may submit an online repair request through this link: {https://repair.dji.com/repair/index}. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to post here at DJI Forum. Thank you for your valued support.
2022-11-12
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

You say "light crash"... If you hit something at 60km/h that doesnt budge, its a hard crash. If you hit a bush, that would be a light crash. It's probably an unlucky hit in the right angle, it can happen.
2022-11-13
Use props
Lucas626
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Clipping a light pole that doesn't budge is not in anyway a light crash.  Like mentioned above it most likely hit at a such a fragile angle.  
2022-11-13
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
United States

Nees Posted at 11-13 06:02
You say "light crash"... If you hit something at 60km/h that doesnt budge, its a hard crash. If you hit a bush, that would be a light crash. It's probably an unlucky hit in the right angle, it can happen.

Who said hit something at 60Km/h??  The fastest speed teh drone was going when it tagged the wood pole was like 8mph.  (sorry for the unit conversion).  this was my first flight out with the drone so I was NOT pushing it, and not in manual mode (just the motion controller in Normal mode)
2022-11-13
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
United States

Lucas626 Posted at 11-13 09:02
Clipping a light pole that doesn't budge is not in anyway a light crash.  Like mentioned above it most likely hit at a such a fragile angle.

it was a wood post, but yeah.  Compared to the speed the drone can go and how slow it was going when it hit, I figure it as a "light hit".  (Normal mode, motion controller, and I had just turned around, so I was accelerating and was ~ 8mph according to the goggles.
2022-11-13
Use props
Lucas626
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

JoeJK3D Posted at 11-13 09:41
it was a wood post, but yeah.  Compared to the speed the drone can go and how slow it was going when it hit, I figure it as a "light hit".  (Normal mode, motion controller, and I had just turned around, so I was accelerating and was ~ 8mph according to the goggles.

In that case it would be considered a light crash sound like it was just hit at the weakest point of the guard.  Hope all goes well with it.
2022-11-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules