Avata Battery Charging and Storage Do-s/Don't-s?
4543 12 2022-11-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JeffB99
lvl.1
Flight distance : 13799 ft
United States

New Avata user here.  If I read the manual and other sources out there correctly, I think I understand how to take care of my battery for max life.  But I want to post a summary of what I've learned and let others correct bad info.  So here we go...

--Its OK to leave the battery depleted for a day or 2.
--Never leave the battery empty for more than a few days!
--Don't leave the battery plugged in for days/weeks to keep it "trickle charged"!
--If not planning to fly for a week or so, charge to 100%, unplug it, and leave it.  It will slowly drain on its own.  Re-charge back to 100% when ready.   
--If not planning to fly for months, cycle the battery monthly.  Re-charge to full from its reduced "sleep" level, drain to 10%, re-charge to full and drain to 40-60% for storage. (A question here...After a fully charge/fully drain cycle, is it best to charge to full again and then drain to 40-60%??  Or is it ok to just charge up to that level and stop?)
--Hovering is a good way to slowly drain the battery.

Hopefully I got this right...or at least most of it!  Comments welcomed.

--Jeff  

2022-11-13
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 618904 ft
United States

I've been wondering a bit about this as well, I have the M3P batteries for that drone and they self/automatically discharge after certain number of days of idle down to 60% to save their usable life.   I haven't read the same about the Avata batteries.
2022-11-13
Use props
JAMh
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4754715 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Great info

THX
2022-11-13
Use props
fans5bb87d54
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1176509 ft
  • >>>
Slovenia

I have perfect and cheapest solution for fast charge DJI Avata and Mini 3 Pro! Buy any 100w car charger and use original short USB C to USB C cable from pack of DJI Avata or Mini 3 Pro.
Problem solved! Now you can fast charge your drone
2023-1-7
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your info is correct. The bottom line is that LiPo batteries are very volatile when they are fully charged and when they are mostly depleted. Additionally (and just a personal thing) , I never let depleted batteries sit around for more than 12 hours or so.
2023-1-7
Use props
yensysl1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 491699 ft
  • >>>
United States

KLRSKIR Posted at 1-7 06:18
Your info is correct. The bottom line is that LiPo batteries are very volatile when they are fully charged and when they are mostly depleted. Additionally (and just a personal thing) , I never let depleted batteries sit around for more than 12 hours or so.

as a somewhat new fpv guy... i did not know that batteries shouldnt be left drained for 12 hours? tips you can offer ?
2023-1-7
Use props
Andre Laf
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

What about new fly more pack that you got last month but wont be flying for another 4 months. would you leave then in the hibernation state till then before the first charge.
2023-1-8
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

yensysl1 Posted at 1-7 17:01
as a somewhat new fpv guy... i did not know that batteries shouldnt be left drained for 12 hours? tips you can offer ?

My 12 hour threshold is just a personal thing. I can't imagine that another 12-24 hours would do any damage but I just don't do it.

LiPo's are happiest between 50-60%, thus why the DJI intelligent batteries auto-discharge to 60% over time. You really do get what you pay for.
2023-1-9
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Andre Laf Posted at 1-8 00:17
What about new fly more pack that you got last month but wont be flying for another 4 months. would you leave then in the hibernation state till then before the first charge.

Leaving them in their shipping (hibernation) mode would be fine. I personally would get them charged and make sure they work ASAP. But that's just how my brain works.
2023-1-9
Use props
NickT_in_SD
lvl.1
United States

So I think this thread has solved one of my curiosities with the Avata batteries. Whenever I get done flying, I charge all the batteries up to 100%. But then if I go to fly a week later, they're usually down to 70%. I thought I had all defective batteries, but sounds like this may be some sort of "feature" of the LiPo batteries.
2023-3-26
Use props
ChrisJack
lvl.1
Flight distance : 119843 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I have just discovered one of my batteries is now dead, I tried to charge it and on the charger its self, the light stayed red, it never progressed
3-10 03:22
Use props
Ruan Carlo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 674511 ft
Brazil

ChrisJack Posted at 3-10 03:22
I have just discovered one of my batteries is now dead, I tried to charge it and on the charger its self, the light stayed red, it never progressed

This is why i dont fully trust on this "discharge function" of the dji batteries. It's better just to use them and keep at the desired capacity.
3-12 02:37
Use props
Gst67
lvl.2
Flight distance : 423097 ft
France

Good evening, I did not use my Avata drone this winter, two of my batteries came out of hibernation correctly and the third sold with the DJI Avata did not come out of hibernation. It shouldn't even have 10 charge cycles. I've had the drone for a little over a year.
Power light is red, all 4 battery lights flash green for 6-8 seconds then turn off without actually charging
What is going on ?
What should I do ?

3-27 12:08
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules