Bought second hand MA2
908 10 2022-11-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dylle
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28921 ft

Sweden

Hi, bought a used mavic air 2, and now, before even recieving it, I wonder what the proper way of setting it up is?

How do I 'reset' it for me as the new owner?

Do I even have to do such 'reset', or can I just log in to my 'dji fly'-app and go?

I've had Ph3, and this account is from that, can I just add the Ma2?

If you have any advice, whatever it is, please share!
(I just want a clean start)

Dylle

2022-11-16
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

As I understand you can't reset it as yours. You can just fly it as is. I doubt you can add it to your account. I have two drones like that. As far as DJI knows I have no used M2p even though it is my best drone by far ;-)
2022-11-16
Use props
Dylle
lvl.1

Sweden

GaryDoug Posted at 11-16 21:54
As I understand you can't reset it as yours. You can just fly it as is. I doubt you can add it to your account. I have two drones like that. As far as DJI knows I have no used M2p even though it is my best drone by far ;-)

OK. Well I guess it isn't much to do then, but to hope it all works.

Any suggestions what I should test out in the first flight, anything that can potentially show issues?

Where I live, rural, I had alot of compass issues with Ph3. This is the iron ore part of Sweden, many old mines, so I blamed 'geo-magnetism'.

Is there any known issues with the mavic air 2 to look out for?
2022-11-16
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-17 04:53
I would check all the settings carefully & adjust to your preferences.  You can link the bird to your account but, being it has already been activated, it will not show as an aircraft under your account avatar.  It will begin logging your flights once you connect it to your account.

Particularly the response to a disconnection and the response to a CSC
2022-11-17
Use props
Dylle
lvl.1

Sweden

Dirty Bird Posted at 11-17 04:53
I would check all the settings carefully & adjust to your preferences.  You can link the bird to your account but, being it has already been activated, it will not show as an aircraft under your account avatar.  It will begin logging your flights once you connect it to your account.

OK, I will briefly go through settings and test basic flight. My future preferences are basicly just 'smoothing' of movement, pitch, roll, tilt, yaw and so on.

I hope the app will recognize and function right off the bat.
Thanks
2022-11-17
Use props
Dylle
lvl.1

Sweden

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 11-17 05:19
Particularly the response to a disconnection and the response to a CSC

Is that something I should try to mimic, and how can I do that?

What is the 'CSC' abbreviation, mind you I'm swedish...
2022-11-17
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dylle Posted at 11-17 06:13
Is that something I should try to mimic, and how can I do that?

What is the 'CSC' abbreviation, mind you I'm swedish...

Ahh sorry I missed you being Swedish.
CSC = the stick position to start and perhaps stop the motors. "Combined Stick Command" or some such thing, it's named 'correctly' in the manual.
The default setting ("breakdown" or "emergency") will not let you stop the motors whilst the drone is in mid air UNLESS the drone itself thinks it HAS (past tense) suffered an emergency.
The alternative setting ("Anytime" or "Always" ) will probably stop the motors if the CSC position is held for 1.7sec or more and that, in my opinion, is FAR too short a delay period. It has brought down several drones when the pilots inadvertently used that position with the  alternative setting being set.
In my opinion neither is ideal but "Anytime"/"Always" is simply too risky to use for normal flights and so "breakdown"/"emergency" is the "lesser of two evils". There are ways to experiment with these but I would suggest you leave those experiments until you have more experience and confidence.

Yes, disconnections can be mimiced ... by switching the controller off. However a better approach is to first find and check the setting (RTH or descend/Land  or Hover) in the control app.

If you look at

from 2:00, you will see the location of the options for both disconnection and CSC. (it's not for the MA2 but should suffice)

But note, if you set the disconnection setting to hover or land/descent they can still result in a low battery RTH.
If you set "hover"and do not get the control signal back in time the battery will reach a point where the drone thinks there is only enough energy left to get the drone home and it will then enter "Low battery RTH", I have tried this with a Mavic Mini.
If the setting is set to land/descend the drone can reject a landing site and it will then hover and that can lead to a low battery RTH. Obviously you do not want to set the disconnection option to land/descend if the drone is flying over water, that too has cost at least one person, from this forum or Mavic Pilots, their drone

2022-11-17
Use props
Dylle
lvl.1

Sweden

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 11-17 07:07
Ahh sorry I missed you being Swedish.
CSC = the stick position to start and perhaps stop the motors. "Combined Stick Command" or some such thing, it's named 'correctly' in the manual. The default setting ("breakdown" or "emergency") will not let you stop the motors whilst the drone is in mid air UNLESS the drone itself thinks it HAS (past tense) suffered an emergency. The alternative setting ("Anytime" or "Always" ) will probably stop the motors if the CSC position is held for 1.7sec or more and that, in my opinion, is FAR too short a delay period. It has brought down several drones when the pilots inadvertently used that position with the  alternative setting being set. In my opinion neither is ideal but "Anytime"/"Always" is simply too risky to use for normal flights and so "breakdown"/"emergency" is the "lesser of two evils".
There are ways to experiment with these but I would suggest you leave those experiments until you have more experience and confidence.

Ahh, I get it, great advice. Yes the combined sticks has had me in daydreaming thoughts, but I never really considered it, I figured 'someone else' must've thought about it before implementing stick commands to turn props off 'mid air'. My old Ph3 had it. My type of flying, POI over my boat, basicly circling or within 150 meters off my boat has no need for emergency turn off props. Since landing involves water ; )

I easily started and landed from my hand with the Ph3, will do same now, and set RTH to remote. I fly with slow sticks, 'cine mode', 99%

And yes, youtube is where I learn most anything, daily, nowadays, great videolink.
I've allready seen a couple of vids with that American drone dude who flies alot over water and ponds.
(The expert one, don't remember his nickname)
Thanks.
2022-11-17
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think the P3 had a much more sensible CSC arrangement, the mid-air motor-stop-delay is long enough to give you a chance to catch inadvertent use of the CSC position. I still have my P3 because I caught inadvertent use of the CSC position before it stopped the motors.
Be slightly more careful with Mavic hand launches and landings, there is a fair chance your fingers and forearm are going to be a lot closer to the props than they were/are with the P3.

Be careful of taking all you tubers as knowledgable, an unfortunate number of them are ........

BTW I did a deliberate mid-air motor stop and restart with a P3, it worked beautifully BUT the motors restart at idle and need FULL throttle to halt the fall, it took me a second or so to realise that and that nearly sent the drone deep sea diving.
It is also NECESSARY to release the sticks and let them recenter between the motor stop CSC and the motor restart CSC.

I would NOT try it with a good Mavic for fear that they will tumble and that excessive tilts will prevent a motor restart.  I have a scrapper of a Mini that may someday become a guinea pig.
2022-11-17
Use props
Dylle
lvl.1

Sweden

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 11-17 07:53
I think the P3 had a much more sensible CSC arrangement, the mid-air motor-stop-delay is long enough to give you a chance to catch inadvertent use of the CSC position. I still have my P3 because I caught inadvertent use of the CSC position before it stopped the motors.
Be slightly more careful with Mavic hand launches and landings, there is a fair chance your fingers and forearm are going to be a lot closer to the props than they were/are with the P3.

Believe me, I know the 'value' of this MA2, I've waited many years for it to reach below 500 dollars. (w fly more)

There will be no gamble. And the fly more will give me plenty of time to freshen up my manual flight.
Many fields in my vicinity for practice!
2022-11-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there, Dylle. Thank you for reaching out, and congratulations on your new drone! Please be advised that there is no option to reset the Mavic 2 Pro to its Factory Settings, regretfully. To use it, you only need to log into the DJI Go 4 app using your account. We're pleased to know that you have received very helpful recommendations from your DJI Forum co-users here. If you need further assistance, please reach us back. Happy flying!
2022-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules