Mini 2 goes into landing mode while still 20 meters up?
709 3 2022-11-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LivingstonS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 334656 ft
Sweden

I've had my Mini 2 for 6 months wihtout any issues.

Today I flew two times, and both times while I was coming back and descending to start landing, at ~20 meters the controller said 'Landing' and the drone started descending on its own as it usually does when it's 1 meter or so above ground. So basically it started landing while still 20 meters up!

The altimeter on the phone screen said 20 meters, so it wasn't some height calibration issue or anything. I was landing in the exact same spot as takeoff, on a bright orange landing pad.

The only thing different from before is that there's snow now, so the ground was white. But as mentioned, I use a bright orange ladning pad.

Could the snow and/or temperature (-2.0 Celsius) affect the altimeter somehow? Or is there some other explanation for this strange behaviour?

Thanks.
2022-11-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12401030 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

Best to get help is to share your flightlog.

Use this > https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Post the uploaded link one here.

cheers
JJB
2022-11-20
Use props
LivingstonS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 334656 ft
Sweden

JJB* Posted at 11-20 09:38
Hi,

Best to get help is to share your flightlog.

Thanks. It seems there is no way to remove location data from the log viewer, and (of course?) I don't want to post my location data publicly online...

I took some screenshots from the most interesting parts of the log, please see the attached pictures.

What I can see in the log is that the VPS Altitude went down to 2.0ft while the IMU Altitude was still at 58ft. That's when the Fllight mode went into Confirm Landing.The VPS Altitude then continued to decrease to 0.3, and then N/A.

A few rows later I can see that I pressed Up on the controller, and the Flight Mode went back to P-GPS again.

Then I continued descending again, and the VPS stayed on N/A until IMU was at 36.7ft, at which point VPS went to 22.6ft and then continued decreasing. This time it behaved like a normal landing.

Also, after takeoff the VPS and IMU altitude were almost identical up to 36.7ft VPS / 39ft IMU, after which VPS went to N/A.

Could it be some kind of calibration issue?  There were no warnings or anything about calibration. The VPS sensors look clean, and there's nothing that could be interfering with them.

The second flight followed the exact same pattern.

I should perhaps also add that I was landing between two 7m (22ft) tall buildings, approx. 20m (65ft) apart. I have done that before without any issues though. The only thing different from all my other flights is that the ground is covered in snow and the temperature is slightly below freezing.

Start of false landing

Start of false landing

End of false landing

End of false landing

Start of VPS before real landing

Start of VPS before real landing

Real landing

Real landing
2022-11-20
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12401030 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

LivingstonS Posted at 11-20 11:12
Thanks. It seems there is no way to remove location data from the log viewer, and (of course?) I don't want to post my location data publicly online...

I took some screenshots from the most interesting parts of the log, please see the attached pictures.

Hi,

This forced landing will start if bottom sensor measure 0.5 meter ( or false measuring) AND 100% stick down.
So normally this is only close to the ground.

But false readings at any height if : sensor is dirty, water drop on it, moist, fog, ect.

White reflecting surface can fool the sensor too...

Try to find a spot without snow and fly again.

Ps indeed no way to scramble/remove LatLon in the conversion.

If you like, remove the personal data in the CSV and share the CSV on here
I can use FRAP to analyse the CSV.

cheers
JJB

cheers
JJB

2022-11-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules