636 20 2022-11-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
noblejeanz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 443648 ft

Germany

Hello,
I edit my Mini 3 Pro hyperlapse single photos like my normal timelapses from my non flying cameras in LR Timelapse/Lightroom and then merge them into one clip.

However, the drone seems to stabilize its photos quite a bit internally before rendering the clip - so I can either have a nice stable movie that is poorly edited, or a shaky flight that has gotten better post processing for it.

Unfortunately, post-processing stabilization in DR Resolve has not worked nearly as well as DJI's internal stabilization.

What am I doing wrong or is there a solution for this?
Below is the link to video comparison.

Thanks for your time!

https://youtu.be/ns9SEUp4fH0

2022-11-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Which Davinci option are you using for stabilizing?
2022-11-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

2022-11-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

PS, here is the video with preview!
2022-11-21
Use props
noblejeanz
lvl.4

Germany

Montfrooij Posted at 11-21 06:27
PS, here is the video with preview!

Thanks for the preview, the "Add Link" option somehow didn't work.
I use the simple stabilizer in the color tab (tracker tool) in DR 17.
2022-11-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

noblejeanz Posted at 11-21 06:36

Ok, there are a few options in that tab, some work better with 'static' cameras, some better with motion timelapses with a single axis (like a pocket 2 can do) and some work better for hyperlapses where the camera moves in multiple directions.
Unfortunately, I don't have a Mini 3 (or any hyperlapse enabled drone) yet, so I have no experience with the settings for a hyperlapse, but I remember seeing that in a tutorial about this subject.
I'm pretty sure DJI does the stabilization in post just based on the images and not on any hardware sensor in the drone, since the interval changes can be too large for those sensors to make good use of that data.
But I could be wrong about that.
2022-11-21
Use props
noblejeanz
lvl.4

Germany

Montfrooij Posted at 11-21 06:45
Ok, there are a few options in that tab, some work better with 'static' cameras, some better with motion timelapses with a single axis (like a pocket 2 can do) and some work better for hyperlapses where the camera moves in multiple directions.
Unfortunately, I don't have a Mini 3 (or any hyperlapse enabled drone) yet, so I have no experience with the settings for a hyperlapse, but I remember seeing that in a tutorial about this subject.
I'm pretty sure DJI does the stabilization in post just based on the images and not on any hardware sensor in the drone, since the interval changes can be too large for those sensors to make good use of that data.

All right, thanks, then I'll first play with the various options in Resolve and hope to get a reasonable result!
2022-11-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

noblejeanz Posted at 11-21 06:55
All right, thanks, then I'll first play with the various options in Resolve and hope to get a reasonable result!

Maybe some other forum user has more experience here!
2022-11-21
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

noblejeanz Posted at 11-21 06:36

Have you tried the stabilization in the Edit tab under Inspector?
There should be 3 options you can try out with some settings you can play with.
2022-11-21
Use props
noblejeanz
lvl.4

Germany

Beta5K Posted at 11-21 08:43
Have you tried the stabilization in the Edit tab under Inspector?
There should be 3 options you can try out with some settings you can play with.

Oh - I have only recently upgraded from 15 to 17, I was not aware that in the Inspector is now also a stabilizer. Thanks for the tip, I'll play around with it!
2022-11-21
Use props
Beta5K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196880 ft
United States

noblejeanz Posted at 11-21 09:30
Oh - I have only recently upgraded from 15 to 17, I was not aware that in the Inspector is now also a stabilizer. Thanks for the tip, I'll play around with it!

Also version 18 is out, just in case you didn't know yet. I think it came out not too long ago.
2022-11-21
Use props
garethendsor777
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36939 ft
United Kingdom

I haven't tried LRtimelaspe but for stabilisation I use Adobe after effects
2022-11-21
Use props
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1240184 ft
Switzerland

noblejeanz Posted at 11-21 09:30
Oh - I have only recently upgraded from 15 to 17, I was not aware that in the Inspector is now also a stabilizer. Thanks for the tip, I'll play around with it!

you can also use "tracker" in fusion tab
2022-11-22
Use props
noblejeanz
lvl.4

Germany

Beta5K Posted at 11-21 13:38
Also version 18 is out, just in case you didn't know yet. I think it came out not too long ago.

Yes, I know, but I am rather conservative when updating Resolve, I have found that this is better..
2022-11-22
Use props
noblejeanz
lvl.4

Germany

tazzt0ne Posted at 11-22 03:41
you can also use "tracker" in fusion tab

I have tried this, so far not with convincing results...
2022-11-22
Use props
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Switzerland

noblejeanz Posted at 2022-11-22 06:23
I have tried this, so far not with convincing results...

yea the problem is the wide angle lenses distortion which results in wonky looking footage when stabilized. planar tracker is really good tho.
2023-1-15
Use props
noblejeanz
lvl.4

Germany

tazzt0ne Posted at 1-15 09:43
yea the problem is the wide angle lenses distortion which results in wonky looking footage when stabilized. planar tracker is really good tho.

Thanks! I‘ll try it!
2023-1-15
Use props
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Switzerland

so this is a course lock hyperlapse i did. trying to stabilize from edit tab was unusable (no matter if perspective, similarity or translation was used). i then put planar tracker on the mountain range yielding better results

bad result with normal stabilisation:

with this on i also used planar tracker on the mountain region
2023-1-16
Use props
noblejeanz
lvl.4

Germany

tazzt0ne Posted at 1-16 01:40
so this is a course lock hyperlapse i did. trying to stabilize from edit tab was unusable (no matter if perspective, similarity or translation was used). i then put planar tracker on the mountain range yielding better results
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYbNvDicKJw

Ok, this looks like I'll have to take a closer look at the Planar Tracker. Significant difference. And I like that you took the Niesen and Lake Thun as an example. It's a beautiful area... Thanks!
2023-1-16
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Good examples.
I guess using a distance mountain range essentially makes it a 2D surface for the planar tracker to use.  (ever tried the point tracker option ?)

Im just moving from Premiere Pro to Resolve and Warp Stabiliser isnt great that often either.  Seem to be more options to play with in Resolve.

My general workflow is Flight > LRTimelapse > Colour corrections in LR > Images into NLE then stabilise.
2023-1-16
Use props
tazzt0ne
lvl.2
Switzerland

gnirtS Posted at 1-16 05:18
Good examples.
I guess using a distance mountain range essentially makes it a 2D surface for the planar tracker to use.  (ever tried the point tracker option ?)

i used 2 point trackers on mountain features left and right of the image and the resulting quality was somewhere in between stabilizer and planar. so:
1st choice planar tracker
2. point tracker
3. stabilize
2023-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules