o(^-^)o
Jimmy12
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hi,
Ordered today the DJI Mini 3 Pro with the Fly More Kit
and got an Operator ID + Flyer ID (UK)

Am i good to go?

Gonna watch a ton of videos and learn as much as i can but excited. Any recommended accessories i should be looking at? case etc...
2022-12-2
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yeah, pretty much, i would certainly downlaod the Manual, you will learn a lot from it, certainly good toilet reading
2022-12-2
Use props
Jimmy12
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Bashy Posted at 12-2 17:48
Yeah, pretty much, i would certainly downlaod the Manual, you will learn a lot from it, certainly good toilet reading

Is it worth getting that dji care refresh?
2022-12-2
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

Jimmy12 Posted at 12-2 17:52

>>Is it worth getting that dji care refresh?

I put my mini 2 in the dam without care refresh, so I say yes!!!   Refresh flyaway coverage is better value on this drone, due to the higher drone price. But if you are a newbie, you will smash the drone into a few plants and roofs. AND Care Refresh may allow you to sell the drone as-new, since the buyer receives it.  I don't know why people buy second hand drones on ebay at all, let alone uninsured ones, but there you go.
2022-12-2
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 15997 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For a newbie I would say care refresh is a good idea but bear in mind that there is an excess for each replacement.
I would also caution against believing that everything you see on youtube is good stuff, it seems that quite a lot of content is garden fertiliser and or click bait so......view them with that it mind
2022-12-2
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

You are going to have a blast!  I started with the Mini2 and it has led to a very expensive hobby and even some side gigs, but yes - as you noted above, lots of learning and fun!!!  Enjoy!  The Mini3 is far more capable than where I started not that long ago.  
2022-12-2
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

for me, care refresh is a must have.  first, because it really isn't that expensive (even with the replacement costs) and second, because it takes the sting out of the crash or flyaway (which feels like $millions).  i honestly don't know why dji offers it as an option.  they should build it into the price and charge all new drones for a 1-year comprehensive (regular warranty + dji care refresh) rather than a 1-year limited (regular warranty only) when they end up having to replace drones under warranty anyway.  that would keep a lot of people happy, it would cut out this unnecessary 3rd party "insurance", and they could give you the option to renew on day 365 only when people have a better idea if they actually want to pay for it or not.  i usually do the 2-year but only because it is cheaper but let's be honest, there's not a lot of value in care refresh after the first year.  drones are already pretty expensive, adding a few bucks these days isn't going to make the price less competitive.  if you start to see on ebay and amazon, they're already starting to offer the drone with insurance already priced in.  for some reason, a lot of new flyers don't even understand when they are offered at dji sign-up time; it's feels like one of those aftermarket deals that go on top of something you already have (the manufacturers warranty) which often doesn't cover a crash leaving the newbie flyer disappointed when they think it's the drone fault for the crash (usually it isn't).  when you're trying to activate and start flying, it's not easy to keep paying or pay again within 48 hours.  recommendation:  get the dji care refresh.
2022-12-2
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Jimmy12. Thanks for reaching out, and we're excited for you to have the DJI Mini 3 Pro! For your reference, here are some video tutorials you can check and the User Manual to get familiar with your new drone. DJI Care Refresh is an after-sales service plan launched by DJI, which provides you with efficient, flexible, and optional accidental damage protection solutions, allowing you to enjoy your DJI product with greater peace of mind wherever you go. As stated in most of the comments posted above, we highly recommend you purchase one for your drone. For more details about the Care plan, you may check this link.
Should you have further concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you for your interest in DJI Products.
2022-12-2
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You didnt need the flyer ID but it's great to get as you learn a bit from the process.   You're good to go.   Just find yourself a quite open space and take it slow.  
2022-12-3
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Welcome to the fold. Hope you enjoy your drone. I’ve had Care Refresh previously for Airs and Mav Pros but I haven’t bothered this time as I’ve been fortunate I’ve never needed to use it. Best of luck
2022-12-3
Use props
Gusdog
lvl.2
United Kingdom

It's a great drone and you'll love it. The care refresh is a must have really, it's not a cheap drone to be crashing or losing. I've never had to use it.

Accessories can be a waste of money so don't go mad. I purchased an RC controller protector / sun hood, about 10 quid. It covers the joysticks so you don't have to keep removing and fitting them. It also protects the screen and gives good sun shade which you do need sometimes.
2022-12-3
Use props
jezz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 422969 ft
United States

YeeHah   Have fun my friend
2022-12-3
Use props
Jimmy12
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks all

Any recommended accessories i should be looking to get?
2022-12-3
Use props
Bob-Mini-2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73114 ft
United States

Sure, if you have the Jack drop it on the CARE Refresh.  Be fore warned that Dji will  not cover your time involved in having the tremendous amount of fun you truly will have.  Pin a family photo with your home address on it, on your sweater, so that you can remember them, and find your way home after being out flying.  Absorb all you can, take your time, and keep the following saying in mind at all times:    This craft will NEVER crash, as long as I see to it that it won't!  ENJOY ! ! !     WELCOME...
2022-12-4
Use props
RobZilla
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1057844 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jimmy12 Posted at 12-3 16:49
Thanks all

Lots of accessories out there, depends on your needs and pocket book. For now, learn how to setup and fly with what you're getting. After a few flights, you'll start to get an idea of what you can add.

Since your FMK has a bag, some folks get a bigger or more all-around bag to carry other accessories. If you happen to fly in bright conditions, ND filters are a good way to go. If you're traveling a lot, a faster or car charger is a good item to have.
2022-12-5
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

With regards to accessories, buy only those that you need. The rest, whilst maybe nice to contemplate and perhaps buy, are a waste of money and may sit in the bottom of your bag...... used only once or twice......if at all.
2022-12-5
Use props
SpectreOne
lvl.3
Flight distance : 79659 ft
United States

Congrats on your new drone! Enjoy and fly safely.
2022-12-5
Use props
MRDroneRookie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1939127 ft
Canada

Jimmy12 Posted at 12-3 16:49
Thanks all

Hi Jimmy12, welcome to the hobby. I just got my first drone (mini3 pro /rc controller) 2 months ago and absolutely love it.
Accessory needs are going to be different for everyone. I think a good wall charger is important as the drone does not come with one and phone chargers you presently have might not be powerful enough to charge your batteries at top speed. The battery charging will top out at 30 watts in the drone and 36 watts in the charging dock that comes with the flymore kit. Charger should have a 12v protocol up to at least 3 amp as that will give you the maximum rate in the charging dock. A power bank is also handy if you want to charge in the field.
If you have the RC controller you might consider an extra set of joysticks as they are small and easy to drop and lose. Screen protector? For me a great training accessory has been a toy drone to fly in the house and train my muscle memory. The flight characteristics are different than the mini 3 but the stick movement directions are the same (mode 2 if that's what you set). Fairly cheap and durable and lots of fun too. I've crashed mine tons of times and no damage. Here's the one I have Holy Stone Hs210 Link doesnt work on mobile forum but the HS 210 is available on Amazon UK.
Cheers. Have fun
2022-12-5
Use props
Jimmy12
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thank you

I have ordered these accessories,
Case - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0B132PQWP
Charging Plug - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B09CYJZRV9

Case has good reviews and i got at a good discount. I know the Fly more pack comes with a shoulder case but prefer one like this.
2022-12-6
Use props
_SoP_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 951020 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I would have wished I ordered the Care Refresh for my Mavic Air which is still sitting on top of a 35m needle tree in the bavarian alps... Did not expect that this would ever happen, but never underestimate the unexpected I now have the Mini 3 pro fly more combo plus 2 years Care Refresh.

Others already wrote: Search a free space and go flying, start slowly and close by. Take your time to play the features of the little beast ;)
2022-12-6
Use props
Jimmy12
lvl.2

United Kingdom

_SoP_ Posted at 12-6 12:41
I would have wished I ordered the Care Refresh for my Mavic Air which is still sitting on top of a 35m needle tree in the bavarian alps... Did not expect that this would ever happen, but never underestimate the unexpected  I now have the Mini 3 pro fly more combo plus 2 years Care Refresh.

Others already wrote: Search a free space and go flying, start slowly and close by. Take your time to play the features of the little beast ;)

Im going no where near any trees any time soon

Think i am getting the 2 year refresh
Worth getting a gimbal protector like this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B3DMHJ66
2022-12-6
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Jimmy12 Posted at 12-6 13:36
Im going no where near any trees any time soon

Think i am getting the 2 year refresh

i have that one.  only get it if you find you're having trouble with the one that came on your drone.
2022-12-6
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jimmy12 Posted at 12-6 13:36
Im going no where near any trees any time soon. Think i am getting the 2 year refresh. Worth getting a gimbal protector like this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B3DMHJ66

Just incase you are thinking of that for IN FLIGHT USE  .....................NO WAY........you probably rick burning out the gimbal motors and or their control boards.

BTW trees have ENTs driving them into your flight path so be warned.

2022-12-6
Use props
Jimmy12
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Sean-bumble-bee Posted at 12-6 15:52
Just incase you are thinking of that for IN FLIGHT USE  .....................NO WAY........you probably rick burning out the gimbal motors and or their control boards.

BTW trees have ENTs driving them into your flight path so be warned.

Obviously just for storage
2022-12-6
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ah ok then
2022-12-6
Use props
Jimmy12
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Drone set up now and firmware updated.
Activated DJI refresh and labeled drone with operator ID

Hopefully first flight at the weekend if weather is ok
2022-12-8
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

@jimmi12  - how is it going?  Shortly after your post I picked up a Mini 3 Pro, and well, my very first flight did not go so great.  : )  Anyways, I bought a second, and having the first one refreshed under care.  It is a fun drone. and very much reminds me of the Mini2 I started with.  Fun stuff!  
2022-12-15
Use props
Jimmy12
lvl.2

United Kingdom

TonyPHX Posted at 12-15 20:20
@jimmi12  - how is it going?  Shortly after your post I picked up a Mini 3 Pro, and well, my very first flight did not go so great.  : )  Anyways, I bought a second, and having the first one refreshed under care.  It is a fun drone. and very much reminds me of the Mini2 I started with.  Fun stuff!

Not a first flight yet due to conditions where I am. Thick snow/fog and sub zero temperatures.

So just been watching many videos for now.

I've found the biggest field near me so going to take it there first to practice.
2022-12-16
Use props
Jimmy12
lvl.2

United Kingdom

The conditions were ok this afternoon so took it out for a 1st flight.

Just in a field, took it up to 120m and took a few pictures.

Apart from take off (when I forgot to remove the gimbal cover and motors cut out) everything went ok and managed to land it in my hand.

1 thing, left and right on the right joystick do nothing but I think I read somewhere about left/right flight being disabled by default?
2022-12-16
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Ahhh I would suggest low and slow for a while, little steps first ....... before you start trying height and hand catching etc..
I am probably conservative but I have 3250+ flights in an out-of-date version of my log book on this computer. Of those 254 went up to 50m or more, only 148 went up to 100m or more and only 59 went up to 120m or more and possibly 10 of those were flown up hill so the ground was less than 120m.

Read up on the problems associated with hand launching, how to deal with wind and the distance thresholds of RTH behaviour and how they change the RTH behaviour.
I am not going to tell you because I think you would gain more by finding the information for yourself.

Do not set excessively high RTH height, I aim to clear obstacles by 5 to 10m. Excessive height wastes battery power in the climb AND in the descent PLUS it may put the drone up into wind.

I would suggest you switch OA OFF  when manually landing and when flying low in confined spaces or near you. The OA icon may act as a shortcut to the OA menu.

With regards to "and motors cut out" do you literally mean the motors stopped with the drone in mid air?
2022-12-16
Use props
Jimmy12
lvl.2

United Kingdom

@Sean-bumble-bee

Thanks for the feedback

I did literally take it up and down from the same spot within about 2 minutes. Good conditions, and very little wind.

Take off - I did it from my Hard case

As for the landing, I just stuck out my palm and slowly brought it down.
2022-12-16
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Expensive new hobby has entered the chat.
2022-12-16
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TonyPHX Posted at 12-16 09:12
Expensive new hobby has entered the chat.

for sure and he hasn't even started looking into fpv.
2022-12-16
Use props
Sean-bumble-bee
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jimmy12 Posted at 12-16 09:07
@Sean-bumble-bee

Thanks for the feedback

My old man was in India during WW2, the camp was by a river and the guys used to going fishing there, a literally cool spot.
A new guy joined the unit and and decided  to go for a swim in the river near the fishermen, he was going to dive in. One of the fishermen said to him, I wouldn't do that, it's not safe  there. The guy did dive in and didn't come up for a long time. When he did surface he had a bad cut on his head. As my dad told the story no one helped him but when he eventually got out of the river the chap who had warned him said, "bloody well telt  the".

It may well be calm down low but that does not mean It is calm up aloft.
2022-12-16
Use props
Jimmy12
lvl.2

United Kingdom

2022-12-16
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
United States

Jimmy, I'm really digging the Mini3 Pro.  It's a fun drone and with the extended batteries the hang time is amazing for this thing.  I have gotten some hyperlapses that I really dig.  Hope you are having as much fun with your M3P as I am mine!!
2022-12-21
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes good to go. Please remember that sideways movement might be inhibited. For your first few flights choose a nice open space and take things slowly
2022-12-21
Use props
Jimmy12
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Bigplumbs Posted at 12-21 07:38
Yes good to go. Please remember that sideways movement might be inhibited. For your first few flights choose a nice open space and take things slowly

Thank you

Only had a couple of flights so far, no issues. It seems pretty easy to pick things up.
Had it in sports mode also on an open field to get a feel for it and had a play with the Active track.
2022-12-22
Use props
Zoooom
lvl.4

Australia

A warning. I crash my drone a lot less, when it's above the trees. My trees are 35m, so good practice around here, is to get it to 50m.

When you're in sport mode, it's very difficult to judge stopping distance, so it can easily go into a shrub. Your eyes are hopeless at judging distance from you, let alone speed and stopping distance.

Also, factor in dyslexia. I shrubbed my drone on flight 4, by pressing the wrong stick.
2022-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules