Is DJI stopping Production of the 1 series?
2345 16 2014-12-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI no longer offers the P1 or the FC40 on this site -although there are quite a few in the pipe line and available from other vendors.

Would it be possible to get an semi-official statement from DJI as to whether or not they are producing (manufacturing) and offering these products in 2015?

The FC40 is a great way for new fliers to enter the hobby with a small investment. I hope if it goes away that an upgraded model is available...in 2015.
2014-12-4
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

I for one LOVE the FC40.

I almost feel sorry for the P2 and above folks...so many many problems.
Outside of the fact that my S1(c) switch wasnt set to FS, Ver 4.02, and i almost lost it because I didnt know the little tidbit of information and its NOT in the manuel or in the FAQs in the update...But, its all good now.
As it flys now, I wont be upgrading anything in the future..its GTG.

I did just but the TK102 GPS traker..so IF    IF it gets lost, I can find it.

2014-12-4
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

And NO..  My best guess is 100% that the P1 and variants will no longer be offered...my fear is that they wont be supported either.   
2014-12-4
Use props
houldsworth1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616598 ft
  • >>>
United States

A real shame if that is the case because most people don't need to spend $100+ for a battery :@
2014-12-5
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Maplins in the UK are selling it.
2014-12-5
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

No doubt folks are selling it.
The questions is, is how long will DJI support it.
2014-12-5
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I don't think the support is going to be much of a problem since the FC is quite standard. Also, quadcopters tend to not last forever anyway. I still have my original Phantom 1 from over a year ago and have not touched any firmware upgrades since that time - and will not unless something fails.

If any quadcopter in this price range lasts for 18 months to 2 years, that's plenty long IMHO. It also means it has a good pilot!
2014-12-6
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

A few thoughts.
Outside of the P1, FC40, are the P2 and Vision variants. These are double to triple to quad the price of an FC40. And have you read all the PROBLEMS everybody is having with them?  Everything from bad firmware, bad GPS, bad gimbals, bad batteries and on and on and on. Have a hard landing, break a gimbal wire and wait a month or two to get it fixed as you cant just buy the fricken part...good Job.
Im quite happy with my 'cheap' $500 FC40.  After I got the FS switch thing worked out it flys like a champ everyday with no problems.
DJI imo is going to lose a LOT of sales. due to the higher price range. Not all of us are concerned with high quality video, gimbals etc..we just like to fly them and take some video for our viewing pleasure...cheaply.
Id DJI basing their growth on the Inspire 1?  I hope not, those bad boys are $2900 each.
So DJI is going to limit their entire Phantom sales line on problematic P2s and the crazy expensive Inspire 1?
Good luck DJI, you're going to need it.
And not to mention many other companies are getting into the Quad game...so watch out soon for some VERY good competition.(maybe even some competition that has really good customer service)
2014-12-6
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I don't think DJI is going to forget about the low end....it just may be that the price to manufacture the 1 series is very close to the price for the plain 2 series due to economies of scale, etc.

I'd guess they are developing a newer base model of some sort - maybe an improved FC40 type....since I am making guesses, let me say that maybe it will be shown or mentioned at the CES show!
2014-12-6
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

jamesnns@gmail. Posted at 2014-12-6 05:49
No doubt folks are selling it.
The questions is, is how long will DJI support it.

Well over here you get a 1 year warranty by law, so it will be at least that long.  I almost bought 1 because I am only a hobbyist and simply like to watch what I flew over on the TV.  However the Phantom 2 vision is so much more then the FC, FPV, Waypoints are the things that swayed my decision.

Sure there are some people having problems, and the batteries are a rip off, but of the two IMO the P2 wins hands down, and I'm not having any of the problems that others have.  If anything I wish I had saved and gone for the P2Vision +, not for the photography but just for the better 'look what I flew over' experience on the TV.

Horses for courses I guess.
2014-12-7
Use props
regan
lvl.1

Afghanistan

umpa Posted at 2014-12-7 19:41
Well over here you get a 1 year warranty by law, so it will be at least that long.  I almost bough ...

I )like many) hope that DJI maintain the P1. Firstly, I fly alot in disasters as part of our assessment work and the P1 is alot more robust and reliable than a P2. But secondly (and more importantly) while the P2 is advertised as RTF....it's not really. There is alot to learn and find out and that is better done with a P1 rather than a "fragile" Vision 2 or Vision 2+ (where a hard landing will cost you half the cost of a new Vision2 or 2+) or a gimbal for the P2.

On the other hand is also means (and we are seeing this in NZ) of people selling off crashed Vision2's and P2's.

So DJI need to be careful taking out the P1 and trying to rationalise to a P2/Vision format.
2014-12-8
Use props
umpa
lvl.4

United Kingdom

I know what you mean, I damaged my camera on my P2Vision.  I was able to mend it, but it still upset me simply because of the cost of a new one, I'm almost scared to fly it.  If I could get a cheap P1 I would use that to practice with.  Still I use waypoints a lot and for what its worth its performed 100% - even when I have been daring and sent it 1000's of feet away - its ALWAYS come home.

I just wish these things were cheaper, like half the price.
2014-12-8
Use props
taxipac
lvl.1

United Kingdom

i bought mine in maplins in the uk a week ago so u get  a year warranty  vso that brings it up to next xmas. MAPLINS are huge i would not think they would go into this market if they would not make a profit plus there customer service is 2nd to none. hope this has put a upper on the subject  not a down
happy flying
2014-12-9
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I too love the ruggedness of my plain P1 - I feel very confident using it just about anywhere.
Any smart manufacturer (and DJI seems intelligent) wants to address most segments of the market - and so I do think they will sell some stuff at the low end. In terms of a rugged and reasonable combo, you can't beat an older GoPro Hero2 and a plain P1.

The reason I started this thread was because DJI doesn't show those models any longer here....so it makes sense they are End of Life. But maybe after they look at sales numbers (FC40) for the holiday season, they will have second thoughts!
2014-12-9
Use props
D-MO
lvl.1

United States

If dji stops selling a quad that costs less than $500 ther're in for a big surprize... that being that most people aren't rich as hell like them!!!  I decided that if dji doesn't support and offer upgrades to my fc40 for at least 3 yrs im not buying another.. I know its a p1 with a little camera but it was hailed as a new model when I bought it so they better stand buy it.. They seem to be a little on the fancy ass hoity toidy side of things to me.. I hope they remember that the people who are buying these things in droves are the hobbyists and not the videographers... $3200 dollars my ass.... Walkera will have a drone out with all the same shit as a inspire in six months and it'll be under 1500 bucks... I'm afraid dji has left us little people in the dust..
2014-12-9
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yeah, Walkera will give you support for about -5 minutes! I have not read of a single person who is satisfied with their customer service....well, calling it that is wrong, since they don't seem to have any! Sorry, but Walkera has never invested the time or money to complete any of their recent quads and many hobbyists have wasted 2K or more (look at the reviews of their Tali hex, for example)....

Your quad will last as long as you can make it last - but, heck, I don't think 5% of current flyers were even involved in the hobby 3 years ago!

I don't think DJI will forget their roots.....in fact, even now the plain Phantom 2 is often available lower than $700. Add a relatively cheapo camera (I just bought a C-go1 for $40) and you have a fancier FC40.

The main reason I want to know about the official story is that I wrote a book about the Phantoms and I like to keep it updated. My Phantom doesn't owe me a dime.....before I had it, I never had any other quad that lasted me even 60 days!
2014-12-9
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

before I had it, I never had any other quad that lasted me even 60 days!

LOL...my first one lasted 10 minutes before the wind got and took it up 80 feet into the trees.(Rxd 391 ufo)
2014-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules