Bug-related Crash in Authorization Zone
1055 7 2022-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Incoherent1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1493694 ft
United States

I flew in an Authorization Zone yesterday in the USA. Got electronic (automated) approval through AirMap & via text message, then unlocked the area in my DJI Fly app (after some difficulty, but it did finally work). 30-60 seconds after takeoff, I got a message that I had taken off in an Authorization Zone without unlocking it and that the drone would land automatically. I couldn't get it back in time -- it immedately started to decend at full speed, then crashed into a lake.

This was obviously a software bug. Can anyone recommend how I can get in touch with DJI to get followup and further recourse please?

2022-12-5
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Aren't there two overlapping exclusion zones? You have validated only one of the two ?
2022-12-5
Use props
Incoherent1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1493694 ft
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 12-5 12:36
Aren't there two overlapping exclusion zones? You have validated only one of the two ?

I completed all validations. It won't let you take off if you haven't validated.
2022-12-5
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Incoherent1 Posted at 12-5 12:40
I completed all validations. It won't let you take off if you haven't validated.

GEOlock.png

Try to fly from A to B by unlocking only the large area, but not the small one. I guarantee you that the drone will take off, and that something will happen at some point.

What will be interesting is to have the flight log in order to know the location of your flight, and to know what really happened.

The drone is not supposed to land alone in the middle of nowhere. This deserves an investigation.
2022-12-5
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

yeah would like to know as well because i hadnt heard of this before.  incoherent, as far as you remember, you indeed unlocked for two or more zones?  or, when you said "all" that means one for all of them?  is that how it works?
2022-12-5
Use props
Dou6ie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8984337 ft
United Kingdom

I experienced a similar problem recently. I unlocked the large zone but didn’t realise I needed to also unlock the small zone. I managed to take off in the small zone but I was unable to fly the drone back to the home point.https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj7waGAx-P7AhWtgVwKHRy2BmQQFnoECBoQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum.dji.com%2Fforum.php%3Fmod%3Dviewthread%26tid%3D278778&usg=AOvVaw0SNyl-zmiOVkqtkHBvJ_f4
2022-12-5
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. We are deeply sorry about the accident. May we confirm if the drone was retrieved, or not? If it was not recovered, we highly suggest you submit a Flyaway Report on this link. If the drone was recovered, you can submit an online repair application through this link: {https://repair.dji.com/repair/index}.
For warranty claims, make sure to mention it in the case. Our related team will conduct a Data Analysis through your flight records to determine the cause of the accident. Please note that warranty service can be applied depending on the result of the investigation and the warranty status. You may also contact our Customer Support to get more details about the process. You may reach them at (support.dji.com). Should you have other concerns, please reach back here at DJI Forum. Thank you, and keep safe.
2022-12-5
Use props
crosswired
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264380 ft
United Kingdom

happened to me recently as well: there is only one zone which I have unlocked with DJI. As was flying inside of warehouse building, the drone did hit the side wall and went down not causing any damage to itself or equipment. What happened exactly was drone suddenly started moving sideways from hover position and didnt react to controls. The latest firmware has been installed 30 minutes prior accident.  
2022-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules