Does the Avata require a phone tethered to goggles to fly?
123Next >
17313 89 2022-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jvhooser
lvl.2
Flight distance : 491155 ft
United States

After the Avata firmware update V01.02.000, does the Avata require that a phone running the Fly app be connected by cable to the goggles in order to fly the drone because DJI did not build in RID otherwise?   Seems that a Remote ID error has appeared and the drone will not start up.  Now in addition to the battery that is tethered by cable to the goggles, is a phone required to be tethered as well just to get the drone off the ground.   I never saw this requirement prior to purchasing the Avata.   
I fly indoors regularly where FAA has no jurisdiction and RID is not required, so there should be a way to disable this for these flights.   

Please advise how to fly without the phone tethered.

2022-12-9
Use props
Drey. I
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1757375 ft
  • >>>
United States

If it needs a phone that's just BS
2022-12-9
Use props
FPVTrendz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1241020 ft
United States

2022-12-9
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. To comply with the RID request of the FAA, after the new firmware, the US users need to connect the DJI Avata to DJI Fly app every time they power on the Avata to fly. It needs to be connected to App once to verify the RID, please make sure that the GPS and internet are connected. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2022-12-9
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 618904 ft
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 12-9 19:16
Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. To comply with the RID request of the FAA, after the new firmware, the US users need to connect the DJI Avata to DJI Fly app every time they power on the Avata to fly. It needs to be connected to App once to verify the RID, please make sure that the GPS and internet are connected. Thank you for your understanding and support.

"and Internet" ??  What? so using the avata in the middle of nowhere is not an option anymore?  Guess I am downgrading... wtf
2022-12-9
Use props
EMFant
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176617 ft
United States

Just updated and you have to keep the phone tethered or nothing works. Motors won’t even start. Haven’t checked to see if the goggles battery charges your phone while connected. If not, I guess you can’t fly with a  low cell phone battery either.
2022-12-9
Use props
Newbe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10693212 ft
  • >>>
Australia

woohoo glad I live in Australia and not the US.. started update then read this .. went, oh no.. couldn't stop update..
2022-12-9
Use props
Killerbee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 64820 ft
Netherlands

Can confirm. Non-US pilots can safely update and even use FCC hack.
We get all the goods and can fly without a phone connected to the goggles.
There's only a Remote ID warning when booting the goggles, but you can choose to skip that.

After that, it's happy flying!
2022-12-10
Use props
CTT Channel
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7843156 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Indeed can confirm... No need to plug phone and even never saw a remote ID warning... Hope DJI will find a better solution for US pilots, I think no one would enjoy to fly with a phone connected to the goggles.
2022-12-10
Use props
FPVTrendz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1241020 ft
United States

So either there is an error in the firmware or this DJI rep is misinformed. Here is what that person just said above:

" It needs to be connected to App once to verify the RID, please make sure that the GPS and internet are connected."

In fact, you have to keep the phone attached to the goggles in order to take off, so it's not just connecting them once and flying.
2022-12-10
Use props
jvhooser
lvl.2
United States

I was told that you have to connect to the phone , have GPS location on the phone, and the Fly app open the entire flight.  
Other than this not being mentioned when the drone was released, my biggest concern is flying indoors where the phone may not get good GPS and the drone would not work according to the rep I spoke with.   Really stupid since FAA and their RID BS have no requirement indoors.  
2022-12-10
Use props
Ken H
lvl.2
Flight distance : 822484 ft
United States

So if your in the mountains or remote area with no cell\network connection I wont be able to fly my drone?!?.    Last update was the FAA pulled out the network requirement because of this.  Remote ID isn't even in affect for almost another year. They should fix this or offer a buy back.  I live in the north west area of USA and surround by mountains.  So now except for in town which I try to avoid, my Avata is useless.
2022-12-10
Use props
jvhooser
lvl.2
United States

Ken H Posted at 12-10 11:58
So if your in the mountains or remote area with no cell\network connection I wont be able to fly my drone?!?.    Last update was the FAA pulled out the network requirement because of this.  Remote ID isn't even in affect for almost another year. They should fix this or offer a buy back.  I live in the north west area of USA and surround by mountains.  So now except for in town which I try to avoid, my Avata is useless.

As I understand internet not required, but constant GPS location on the phone is.  
If you are in the mountains and phone can’t get enough GPS signal it won’t fly, even if you have internet.
I wanted it for inside construction progress pics but GPS is sketchy, so it won’t work.
2022-12-10
Use props
djiuser_zzksDeg8jWfZ
lvl.2
United States

jvhooser Posted at 12-10 09:33
I was told that you have to connect to the phone , have GPS location on the phone, and the Fly app open the entire flight.  
Other than this not being mentioned when the drone was released, my biggest concern is flying indoors where the phone may not get good GPS and the drone would not work according to the rep I spoke with.   Really stupid since FAA and their RID BS have no requirement indoors.

I’d argue it was also intentionally misleading. One of the youtube videos I watched prior to purchasing was a person flying it through a house for real estate media. This was someone dji vetted for prerelease product and I want to assume oked the footage to be shared when the embargo lifted.
2022-12-10
Use props
Ken H
lvl.2
Flight distance : 822484 ft
United States

This is what I have been posting to DJI Paladin and on YouTube comments.  If I am incorrect please let me know.

First, here are the facts. Last update was the FAA pulled out the network requirement and left broadcast remote ID. This should not require the Avata or any drone to have a continuous network connection.
You should not be implementing rules that are not in effect as they still may change until the effect date. FAA states it’s the pilot’s responsibility to comply by 16 September 2023 and your responsibility is make sure you build drones that are compliant after 16 September 2022.  Even building drones with remote ID should still not be activated until after 16 September 2023 at which point pilots are required to be compliant.
I am just stating facts as I found on the FAA website.  It does not state the pilot or takeoff location is to constantly broadcast. It states, “An indication of the latitude, longitude, and geometric altitude of the drone's take-off location”.  Not continuous location.  If DJI includes the takeoff location to the Drones broadcast, this meets the requirement.  

Here is my complaint.  If you’re in the mountains, inside a building (which was the biggest selling point of the Avata) or remote area with no cell\network connection you won’t be able to fly your Avata!   If you are flying your Avata over water or in the mountains and your phone dies or loses cell reception what then?  Will DJI Refresh cover the loss due to this?  I live in the northwest area of the USA and surrounded by mountains.  So now except for in town which I try to avoid, my Avata is useless.  I believe this is overstepping on products purchased without these rules and your update did not state this.  DJI should fix this or offer a buy back of the Avata and any additional DJI equipment (fly more kits).
2022-12-10
Use props
SirStabbs
lvl.1
Flight distance : 218799 ft
United States

For people wondering. You only need to plug the goggles until you get the RID to recognize the mobile GPS. Take off while it is plugged, then you can safely unplug from your mobile device while hovering. I tested this out and im still able to fly the Avata without limitations. i do see the "RID Error" on the goggles after unplugging it, but everything was fine on the Drone Recording.

Also, i used my ipad air 2 for the RID verification. And i DO NOT have mobile service nor wifi enabled. i simply opened the DJI Fly App, connected the Avata via Goggles 2, took off, disconnected while hovering, and everything was flying like normal. But once you land, and disarm, you will have to connect the goggles to the mobile device again to take off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOLsg3C96dk

Here is the flight video, i unplugged the goggles at 1:38 and you'll see the "Remote ID Error" on the bottom right of the screen. But im still able to fly wihtout problems.

And i repeat My Ipad does not have  any Mobile Network nor Wifi enabled. im poor, i dont purchase the mobile plan for my ipad.

So yeah, it only needs to connect to the DJI Fly App to recognize the mobile GPS even tho its not connected to any network or internet.
2022-12-10
Use props
Axelz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3427999 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Does this happen when you use the drone outside of the US?
2022-12-11
Use props
mark426
lvl.3
Flight distance : 854117 ft
United States

Who wants to buy my brand new Avata with flymore and hardcase?  
2022-12-11
Use props
fans1e84c657
lvl.1
United States

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. To comply with the RID request of the FAA, after the new firmware, the US users need to connect the DJI Avata to DJI Fly app every time they power on the Avata to fly. It needs to be connected to App once to verify the RID, please make sure that the GPS and internet are connected. Thank you for your understanding and support.

This is unacceptable. No one wants an FPV drone that needs to be tethered to a phone. We should get a full refund unconditionally.
2022-12-11
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

DJI should come up with a wireless solution.....

But also: the avata is advertised for indoor flying and indoor commercial shots.... but that is a NO GO if you don't have GPS signal.......

I am glad this is not something we in the EU are affected by, but i know it is comming.... so i hope DJI will come up with a better way for this!
2022-12-11
Use props
fanscad6db0e
New
Flight distance : 182142 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi there. Thank you for reaching out. To comply with the RID request of the FAA, after the new firmware, the US users need to connect the DJI Avata to DJI Fly app every time they power on the Avata to fly. It needs to be connected to App once to verify the RID, please make sure that the GPS and internet are connected. Thank you for your understanding and support.

Ya.. well I'm sure you've heard numerous time already, but whatever moron decided this was a good idea should be fired. Just bought mine from Adorama and will be promptly returning with my advice to them not to sell these paper weights and thank you for your support and understanding
2022-12-26
Use props
djiuser_Wf01M8yWFaTZ
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1276473 ft
Slovenia

So all that been said, can we undo the firmware update? I know this was possible with mini 2 after some crappy firmware updates, using DJI assistant. And maybe solution would be using fake GPS app, as it was used in Europe to boost the range of the drone by making it think it is in USA, so it enabled FCC.
2023-1-15
Use props
RichfromHowellNJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

SirStabbs Posted at 2022-12-10 17:14
For people wondering. You only need to plug the goggles until you get the RID to recognize the mobile GPS. Take off while it is plugged, then you can safely unplug from your mobile device while hovering. I tested this out and im still able to fly the Avata without limitations. i do see the "RID Error" on the goggles after unplugging it, but everything was fine on the Drone Recording.

Also, i used my ipad air 2 for the RID verification. And i DO NOT have mobile service nor wifi enabled. i simply opened the DJI Fly App, connected the Avata via Goggles 2, took off, disconnected while hovering, and everything was flying like normal. But once you land, and disarm, you will have to connect the goggles to the mobile device again to take off.

@SirStabbs - Thank you for your video link demonstrating that you are able to take off and disconnect your tablet after take off with your tablet which does not have a mobile service or WIFI enabled.  Please excuse my ignorance for asking ... but what I'm reading from other posts people who are not able to get that initial GPS signal (whether it be because they are taking off indoors or they are surrounded by mountains) will still not be be able to take off with the use the DJI Avata in the US because they can not get that initial GPS signal.  Is that still not an accurate statement?
2023-1-15
Use props
RichfromHowellNJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 508255 ft
  • >>>
United States

RichfromHowellNJ Posted at 1-15 02:01
@SirStabbs - Thank you for your video link demonstrating that you are able to take off and disconnect your tablet after take off with your tablet which does not have a mobile service or WIFI enabled.  Please excuse my ignorance for asking ... but what I'm reading from other posts people who are not able to get that initial GPS signal (whether it be because they are taking off indoors or they are surrounded by mountains) will still not be be able to take off with the use the DJI Avata in the US because they can not get that initial GPS signal.  Is that still not an accurate statement?

@SirStabbs - I did fly today after reading and watching your video.  I flew outdoors and the Avata behaved exactly as you showed.  As long as I took off connected to my cell phone with the app open .... once in the air I could fly as I normally would and land as I normally would.  Thank you for the tip!
2023-1-15
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

2023-1-15
Use props
djiuser_LBxfzKDqg3Vz
New

United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2022-12-9 19:16

Why hasn't DJI updated their software to include the new android phones? And, it appears that this type of forum is their pathetic attempt at customer support. Theres no number you can call. I have a Galaxy S22 and the Avata Pro ended up being a $1,500 paerweight. If the fly app is required to use the drone, and DJI cant be bothered updating their software, why would anyone want to buy one. And my experience, obviously, isn't uniqe with DJI. It seems that once you've bought their product, they cease caring about wether you're able to use it.
As it stands, I will never buy another product from DJI again.
Does DJI have any plans to address its pretty much non-existant customer service?
2023-4-23
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

djiuser_LBxfzKDqg3Vz Posted at 4-23 06:27
Why hasn't DJI updated their software to include the new android phones? And, it appears that this type of forum is their pathetic attempt at customer support. Theres no number you can call. I have a Galaxy S22 and the Avata Pro ended up being a $1,500 paerweight. If the fly app is required to use the drone, and DJI cant be bothered updating their software, why would anyone want to buy one. And my experience, obviously, isn't uniqe with DJI. It seems that once you've bought their product, they cease caring about wether you're able to use it.
As it stands, I will never buy another product from DJI again.
Does DJI have any plans to address its pretty much non-existant customer service?

Hi there. We appreciate your feedback. As mentioned above, the FAA RID required this function as DJI abide local laws and regulations. Please note that it requires you to connect the mobile device (DJI FLY App) to Goggles before flight under strong GPS signal, After taking off, you can DISCONNECT the mobile device and wear the goggles to fly. If you want an English representative, you may contact us on this number +1 818 235 0789 Monday-Sunday: 6:00 - 18:00(PST). Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-4-24
Use props
Geo_Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2676129 ft
  • >>>
Romania

DJI Paladin Posted at 4-24 03:00
Hi there. We appreciate your feedback. As mentioned above, the FAA RID required this function as DJI abide local laws and regulations. Please note that it requires you to connect the mobile device (DJI FLY App) to Goggles before flight under strong GPS signal, After taking off, you can DISCONNECT the mobile device and wear the goggles to fly. If you want an English representative, you may contact us on this number +1 818 235 0789 Monday-Sunday: 6:00 - 18:00(PST). Thank you for your understanding and support.

DJI Paladin, the customers complain related to DJI ENFORCING a law that is NOT YET in effect.
What is not clear here?
DJI practically created a "law" without respecting user's rights and forcing an action that is not yet in effect in designated areas...

Is like I tell you that in 2023 1st December you should stay in House as COVID will be in effect !!!...And then tell you to close the door and seal it from NOW!
2023-4-27
Use props
The Saint
First Officer
Flight distance : 5902228 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geo_Drone Posted at 4-27 04:00
DJI Paladin, the customers complain related to DJI ENFORCING a law that is NOT YET in effect.
What is not clear here?
DJI practically created a "law" without respecting user's rights and forcing an action that is not yet in effect in designated areas...

i believe these things are done in order to gain the DOC approval.  the timing isn't always the greatest but that's secondary.  i recently got the goggles integra and wires/phone/etc are no longer an issue.
2023-4-27
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Geo_Drone Posted at 4-27 04:00
What is not clear here?

Thank you for your response, Geo. We will surely forward this to our designated team for attention. Thank you for your understanding and support.
2023-4-28
Use props
W3KEY
lvl.2
Flight distance : 482005 ft
  • >>>
United States

Obviously, the first thing is that you have to update all the firmware on everything.  You can fly after you tether the DJI Goggles 2 with the phone connected with the DJI FLY app.  Once you're up in the air you can disconnect and continue flying.  But you will get that Remote ID error which is annoying.  To fly untethered with no worries at all you'll have to purchase the "Integra goggles."
2023-5-4
Use props
KREMi
Second Officer
  • >>>
Poland

W3KEY Posted at 5-4 07:51
Obviously, the first thing is that you have to update all the firmware on everything.  You can fly after you tether the DJI Goggles 2 with the phone connected with the DJI FLY app.  Once you're up in the air you can disconnect and continue flying.  But you will get that Remote ID error which is annoying.  To fly untethered with no worries at all you'll have to purchase the "Integra goggles."

that is sadly bullsh..

yes, integra got build in GPS, so in theory it should give You possibility to fly untethered of phone.
But as for today firmware - it does NOT work when geozoning is involved.

I got few zones where I had to get DJI permissions to fly (yes, got them from long time, got all licenses, etc). I transfer unlocks to drone when it's paired with integra+phone with internet. Should be one time action. But power cycle drone (replace battery) and it's gone. only way to start and fly is AGAIN connect phone #@!#!@# and AGAIN transfer already uploaded zones :/ and so on on every new battery :/

so integra is not giving me any advantages over older goggles and they went back.

2023-5-4
Use props
YangChaoLi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 691066 ft
United States

Axelz Posted at 2022-12-11 04:50

I will tell you with my recent personal experience that it can require it at times. I don't know if that's supposed to happen but it did to me. I just returned from the Bahamas and I would say about 30% of my flights required me to tether my phone before I could take off. My phone was in Airplane mode the whole time to avoid international roaming charges so no cellular data but I did connect to Wifi from time to time. I wasn't expecting the tethering to be needed since it's outside the US but glad I brought the cables.
2023-5-4
Use props
dank13
lvl.1

Australia

Newbe Posted at 2022-12-9 23:06
woohoo glad I live in Australia and not the US.. started update then read this .. went, oh no.. couldn't stop update..

Remote Id is coming to australia soon avata will be useless here too... specially where most of the places I fly, I have no mobile reception.
2023-7-3
Use props
djiuser_m2HyGjNjA2iH
lvl.1
Flight distance : 246037 ft
United States

Drey. I Posted at 2022-12-9 09:05
If it needs a phone that's just BS

I just got my Avata and I’m returning it! This is not required by law to fly a drone, especially indoors.
Other drone brands aren’t doing this ridiculousness, vote with your $$$ and STOP buying DJI products.
IMG_1734.jpeg
2023-7-12
Use props
djiuser_m2HyGjNjA2iH
lvl.1
United States

KREMi Posted at 5-4 12:43
that is sadly bullsh..

yes, integra got build in GPS, so in theory it should give You possibility to fly untethered of phone.

I just got my Avata and I’m returning it! This is not required by law to fly a drone, especially indoors.
Other drone brands aren’t doing this ridiculousness, vote with your $$$ and STOP buying DJI products.
IMG_1734.jpeg
2023-7-12
Use props
djiuser_m2HyGjNjA2iH
lvl.1
United States

DJI Paladin Posted at 2022-12-9 19:16

IMG_1734.jpeg
2023-7-12
Use props
djiuser_m2HyGjNjA2iH
lvl.1
United States

JoeJK3D Posted at 2022-12-9 20:55
"and Internet" ??  What? so using the avata in the middle of nowhere is not an option anymore?  Guess I am downgrading... wtf

IMG_1734.jpeg
2023-7-12
Use props
djiuser_m2HyGjNjA2iH
lvl.1
United States

EMFant Posted at 2022-12-9 21:37
Just updated and you have to keep the phone tethered or nothing works. Motors won’t even start. Haven’t checked to see if the goggles battery charges your phone while connected. If not, I guess you can’t fly with a  low cell phone battery either.

IMG_1734.jpeg
2023-7-12
Use props
djiuser_m2HyGjNjA2iH
lvl.1
United States

CTT Channel Posted at 2022-12-10 03:29
Indeed can confirm... No need to plug phone and even never saw a remote ID warning... Hope DJI will find a better solution for US pilots, I think no one would enjoy to fly with a phone connected to the goggles.

IMG_1734.jpeg
2023-7-12
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules