Update today for maps
2231 17 2022-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lieutenant
lvl.4
Australia

Today's update says for offline maps and other fixes.

Maps update is 'open street maps'. Never heard of them but it's not google maps is it.
I can't figure how to use the downloded maps. It's all a bit weird.

2022-12-9
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Openstreet maps is huge, open source and free (hence DJI changing).  They're nowhere near as good as google maps.  They used to use MapBox (awful), switched to Google (good) and now to OSM (not so good).

To download you need to go "profile" in Fly.  And can only download a tiny area at once.
2022-12-9
Use props
primeshooter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1433114 ft
United Kingdom

Sounds like half way measures here but I will trial it and report back.
2022-12-9
Use props
Lieutenant
lvl.4
Australia

gnirtS Posted at 12-9 16:13
Openstreet maps is huge, open source and free (hence DJI changing).  They're nowhere near as good as google maps.  They used to use MapBox (awful), switched to Google (good) and now to OSM (not so good).

Yeah I managed to find how to download the maps but there doesn't seem to be a way to use them.
In the fly mode the satellite view is still blurry. Time and date displays wrong. Looks to be a few other things not working right too, I haven't actually tried a flight yet though.
2022-12-9
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

OSM isnt satellite views.  Those cant be downloaded/
2022-12-9
Use props
Lieutenant
lvl.4
Australia

gnirtS Posted at 12-9 17:54
OSM isnt satellite views.  Those cant be downloaded/

Yes I know, but the satellite views were supposed to be fixed in this update.

We'll have to wait and see if someone can figure out how to use the new maps.

2022-12-9
Use props
Lieutenant
lvl.4
Australia

primeshooter Posted at 12-9 16:48
Sounds like half way measures here but I will trial it and report back.

I look forward to your opinion.
2022-12-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello, Lieutenant. Thank you for reaching out. Offline Maps will allow you to download maps of your planned flight destinations and have the maps displayed even when there is no network connection. We hope this helps. Thank you for your support.
2022-12-9
Use props
_SoP_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 951020 ft
  • >>>
Germany

gnirtS Posted at 12-9 16:13

Openstreetmap is IMHO (with experience of 15+ years of using them on Garmin devices) much better than Google Maps when being offroad (farm tracks, tiny tracks, trails, paths etc). OSM is not good for navigation except for bigger roads, though. I appreciate switching to OSM since I mostly use the drone in the mountains, or far off the urban areas, hence I need the details where Google isn't detailed enough.
2022-12-10
Use props
Drone Jockey
lvl.3
Germany

_SoP_ Posted at 12-10 02:02
Openstreetmap is IMHO (with experience of 15+ years of using them on Garmin devices) much better than Google Maps when being offroad (farm tracks, tiny tracks, trails, paths etc). OSM is not good for navigation except for bigger roads, though. I appreciate switching to OSM since I mostly use the drone in the mountains, or far off the urban areas, hence I need the details where Google isn't detailed enough.

"Off road" is a good point, though I miss Satelite much.

That's why Google Maps is still hard to beat, at least for non-Apple devices. I'm a bit disappointed, that a so called "PRO" device doesn't have it.

IMO it would be ideal, if we could choose between OSM and GM ... similar to Komoot, where you have detailled off road maps, but satellite view too.
2022-12-10
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

The quality of satellite images (poor) while flying the Drone remained unchanged.
2022-12-10
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Looks like as before DJI are ditching Google to avoid having to pay for API keys. Much cheaper using OSM (or previously, MapBox).
That or political reasons because "google".  Former is more likely.
2022-12-10
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Whilst yes, it will save DJI some money, it will only a wee drop in the ocean in comparison, the amount that we pay for their products should include Google maps.

And please, stop with the "Pro" malarky, its is not a "Professional" drone, the "Pro" just sets it apart in the Mini range.
2022-12-10
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Ever penny saved is more profit.  Same with the software cripples.

This is the "new" DJI who cornered the market with very highly featured consumer drones who now seek to change that by artificially limiting them.
2022-12-10
Use props
UweE
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1016775 ft
  • >>>
Germany

gnirtS Posted at 12-10 10:10
Ever penny saved is more profit.  Same with the software cripples.

This is the "new" DJI who cornered the market with very highly featured consumer drones who now seek to change that by artificially limiting them.

where is the possibility to have offline map artifically limiting the drone?
2022-12-10
Use props
Romil
New
Flight distance : 100236 ft
United States

I downloaded a section of map but when I got to the downloaded section it does not allow me to zoom or move around at all. What am I doing wrong?
Screenshot_20221210-201243.png
2022-12-10
Use props
PetePNut
New

United Kingdom

_SoP_ Posted at 2022-12-10 02:02
Openstreetmap is IMHO (with experience of 15+ years of using them on Garmin devices) much better than Google Maps when being offroad (farm tracks, tiny tracks, trails, paths etc). OSM is not good for navigation except for bigger roads, though. I appreciate switching to OSM since I mostly use the drone in the mountains, or far off the urban areas, hence I need the details where Google isn't detailed enough.

I entirely agree - OSM is considerably better than Google.  In my part of the world (Southern England), Google detail is "sparse" to say the least (non-exstent) whereas OSM will show every small building detail (including back garden sheds) and every footpath.  OSM is fantastic for Offline Waypoint planning.
3-25 03:29
Use props
Drone.Hunter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4537612 ft
Kazakhstan

PetePNut Posted at 3-25 03:29
I entirely agree - OSM is considerably better than Google.  In my part of the world (Southern England), Google detail is "sparse" to say the least (non-exstent) whereas OSM will show every small building detail (including back garden sheds) and every footpath.  OSM is fantastic for Offline Waypoint planning.

We have better Google Maps.
It turns out that the situation with the map service is twofold.
3-25 17:59
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules