DON'T UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE!!!
12Next >
7690 49 2022-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kaiju
lvl.1

United States

If you update to the latest firware 01.02.0000 with RID you will NOT be able to fly unless you have internet access. That means the pretty picture of the Avata flying through a tight canyon on the firmware release promo from DJI will not be able to happen as you won't have cell service! I just got through speaking with "Tom" at tech support and he confirms this. Also, you will not be able to downgrade back to the earlier firmware. You can downgrade the goggles and motion controller but NOT the aircraft. I live in the mountains in Colorado and there is no cell service in most of the places I like to fly. I would not have upgraded if I hadn't purchased a fourth battery and needed to get it in sync with the aircraft. The question that I can not get answered by DJI is this: If the aircraft is using GNSS and transmitting this to the goggles, why do you even need "network connection"? I now basically have a huge investment in something I can only fly in populated areas. Stupid is as stupid does, eh Forrest?

2022-12-13
Use props
CappyA330
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38648 ft
United States

You do not need internet. I run the DJI Fly app on iPhone in Airplane mode. You DO have to give DJI Fly location (GPS) permission. DJI Fly gets GPS positiion from your device (phone/iPad)'s GPS receiver and sends it via the USB C wire plugged into your goggles - NOT over the internet.
2022-12-13
Use props
Kaiju
lvl.1

United States

CappyA330 Posted at 12-13 10:02
You do not need internet. I run the DJI Fly app on iPhone in Airplane mode. You DO have to give DJI Fly location (GPS) permission. DJI Fly gets GPS positiion from your device (phone/iPad)'s GPS receiver and sends it via the USB C wire plugged into your goggles - NOT over the internet.

Thanks! I have gotten several different answers from DJI regarding this. My android phone is not compatible with the Fly app but my iPod is. But iPod does not have GPS so I'm trying a $100 work around using a Dual Electronics XGPS150A Bluetooth GPS Receiver to see if I can avoid ponying up $600 bucks for a compatible phone. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll let  you know if it works.
2022-12-13
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 44957 ft
  • >>>
United States

Extensive thread about this here:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D780%26typeid%3D780
2022-12-13
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

It's completely unbelievable that no one at DJI was able to give you CappyA330's answer! Can you tell us what DJI it is? a local reseller, official DJI in your country, online support?
2022-12-13
Use props
Kaiju
lvl.1

United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 12-13 11:18
It's completely unbelievable that no one at DJI was able to give you CappyA330's answer! Can you tell us what DJI it is? a local reseller, official DJI in your country, online support?

I contacted online customer service a few days ago. "Duke" said that if the GPS signal was strong I "should be able to fly." "Tom" at DJI tech support told me that I would have to have internet access to fly. "Sam" at "support.us@dji.com" said: "For the RID issue of your Avata, it is necessary to use network connection before taking off, you have to verify via DJI FLY APP to proceed a normal flight." So that's a maybe, a definite no and a sort of. Vague I believe is the adjective I'm looking for. My remote bluetooth GPS arrives tomorrow and I will see if it works with the iPod in airplane mode. If not I'll be buying a new phone instead of another drone. Until then it's thumb twiddlin' time.
2022-12-13
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

Kaiju Posted at 12-13 12:58
I contacted online customer service a few days ago. "Duke" said that if the GPS signal was strong I "should be able to fly." "Tom" at DJI tech support told me that I would have to have internet access to fly. "Sam" at "support.us@dji.com" said: "For the RID issue of your Avata, it is necessary to use network connection before taking off, you have to verify via DJI FLY APP to proceed a normal flight." So that's a maybe, a definite no and a sort of. Vague I believe is the adjective I'm looking for. My remote bluetooth GPS arrives tomorrow and I will see if it works with the iPod in airplane mode. If not I'll be buying a new phone instead of another drone. Until then it's thumb twiddlin' time.

I'm suggesting we put Duke Tom and Sam in the middle of a ring of fire, then let them come to terms.

This reveals a procedural problem at DJI. In view of this, it would seem that even the manufacturer's documentation (the one we don't have access to) is vague.
2022-12-13
Use props
Kaiju
lvl.1

United States

HDPS Posted at 12-13 10:55
Extensive thread about this here:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=280822&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D780%26typeid%3D780

Thanks! After reading that thread I feel better about my chances. The thing is, My Samsung Galaxy A10e does everything I need a phone to do except run DJI Fly. I am an older (66) person with arthritic thumbs that can't use a joystick controller and I bought the Avata because the motion controller makes it possible for me to fly. This is my first drone and I love the flight experience. Just wish the onboard GNSS and goggles could take care of this on their own.
2022-12-13
Use props
Kaiju
lvl.1

United States

[quote]
[9k=[/img]
2022-12-13
Use props
CappyA330
lvl.4
United States

I contacted online customer service a few days ago. "Duke" said that if the GPS signal was strong I "should be able to fly." "Tom" at DJI tech support told me that I would have to have internet access to fly. "Sam" at "support.us@dji.com" said: "For the RID issue of your Avata, it is necessary to use network connection before taking off, you have to verify via DJI FLY APP to proceed a normal flight." So that's a maybe, a definite no and a sort of. Vague I believe is the adjective I'm looking for. My remote bluetooth GPS arrives tomorrow and I will see if it works with the iPod in airplane mode. If not I'll be buying a new phone instead of another drone. Until then it's thumb twiddlin' time.

Only someone that knows nothing about the final rule on Remote ID would utter the word "network" when talking about RID. The network requirement was dropped from the proposal 2 years ago. Paladin who is DJI monitor here mentioned internet in his answer as well. REMOTE ID DOES NOT REQUIRE INTERNET ACCESS.
2022-12-13
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I called twice for other issues and will not bother again to call, waste of time...literally I had more knowledge about the problems than the guy on the other side of the phone.....when they pause to answer, they don't know anything about it and start looking at their answers list.
2022-12-13
Use props
Kaiju
lvl.1

United States

HDPS Posted at 12-13 13:59
I called twice for other issues and will not bother again to call, waste of time...literally I had more knowledge about the problems than the guy on the other side of the phone.....when they pause to answer, they don't know anything about it and start looking at their answers list.

Yeah, I've learned more from the forum than than anywhere else. Thank you all. I am new to this stuff and Neil deGrasse Tyson I am not! And thanks for the links! Going there now.
2022-12-13
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hello, Kaiju. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. DJI is committed to complying with Laws in each country. DJI Avata now supports the Remote ID function in the US. Before flying in the current area, you are advised to connect your mobile phone and ensure that the GPS signal is normal. If you do not connect your mobile phone, you will not be able to take off. Please connect it before using the aircraft. I hope this clarifies your concern. Thank you for your understanding. In addition, I'll be adding this video link for more information: DJI Avata Using RID to Fly.
2022-12-13
Use props
mletoile
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4515230 ft
Canada

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-13 19:09
Hello, Kaiju. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. DJI is committed to complying with Laws in each country. DJI Avata now supports the Remote ID function in the US. Before flying in the current area, you are advised to connect your mobile phone and ensure that the GPS signal is normal. If you do not connect your mobile phone, you will not be able to take off. Please connect it before using the aircraft. You don't need a mobile network as it only needs GPS Signal. I hope this clarifies your concern. Thank you for your understanding. In addition, I'll be adding this video link for more information: DJI Avata Using RID to Fly.

What about flying inside with limited and/or no GPS signal? In this kind of situation can we be able to fly?
2022-12-13
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RID well really be enforced by Sept 2023 (or maybe not, depends in the Law Suit with FAA), why DJI started now?
2022-12-13
Use props
CappyA330
lvl.4
United States

The FAA Sept 2023 date is for pilots. Manufacturers must comply with Remote ID by Dec 16, 2022. Don’t blame DJI,  blame an overreaching government that hates its citizens.
2022-12-13
Use props
Kaiju
lvl.1

United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-13 19:09
Hello, Kaiju. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry for the inconvenience. DJI is committed to complying with Laws in each country. DJI Avata now supports the Remote ID function in the US. Before flying in the current area, you are advised to connect your mobile phone and ensure that the GPS signal is normal. If you do not connect your mobile phone, you will not be able to take off. Please connect it before using the aircraft. You don't need a mobile network as it only needs GPS Signal. I hope this clarifies your concern. Thank you for your understanding. In addition, I'll be adding this video link for more information: DJI Avata Using RID to Fly.

The frustrating part of all of this is that when I was considering purchasing the Avata there was no mention of a phone connection being a necessity for flight. It was presented as another way to activate, link, share video, etc. I have a non-compatible smart phone but was able to use DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series) to get in the air and do updates. I was able to download Fly to my iPod but since it does not have GPS I was forced to buy a remote bluetooth GPS receiver which now allows me to use my iPod to satisfy the new requirement. I will guess that there are a lot of other owners that find themselves in a similar situation that are faced with the need to buy a new phone. A hefty added expense on top of an already hefty initial outlay for the drone. A heads-up on this would have been helpful in DJI's advertising.
I understand the need for the FAA to know what is in the air, especially in congested areas. We are putting thousands of UAS into an already crowded sky and the people at the controls in most cases have very limited experience and little or no training. It just seems to me that all of the equipment required to fly the drone should be incorporated into the flight system. When you buy a car you do not have to purchase the keys from a third party.
2022-12-14
Use props
mark426
lvl.3
Flight distance : 854117 ft
United States

I see Goggles 2 V2 (with GPS) in the future. Yours for only $700+
2022-12-14
Use props
Kaiju
lvl.1

United States

mark426 Posted at 12-14 06:27
I see Goggles 2 V2 (with GPS) in the future. Yours for only $700+

Prissy.jpg
2022-12-14
Use props
frankymusik
First Officer
Flight distance : 27841053 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Kaiju Posted at 12-13 10:51
Thanks! I have gotten several different answers from DJI regarding this. My android phone is not compatible with the Fly app but my iPod is. But iPod does not have GPS so I'm trying a $100 work around using a Dual Electronics XGPS150A Bluetooth GPS Receiver to see if I can avoid ponying up $600 bucks for a compatible phone. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll let  you know if it works.

Test it, so you'll see it!

FW update is a must!!!
2022-12-14
Use props
KLRSKIR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 28368625 ft
  • >>>
United States

frankymusik Posted at 12-14 08:08
Test it, so you'll see it!

FW update is a must!!!

100% agree!
2022-12-14
Use props
JoeJK3D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 618904 ft
United States

Incorrect - I've tested it a lot, and no internet is required.   yes you need your phone connected, and the messaging from DJI is broken and wrong AF on this... but no internet is needed.  The DJI app just needs to have a GPS fix from the phone it seems.
2022-12-14
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

CappyA330 Posted at 12-13 21:03
The FAA Sept 2023 date is for pilots. Manufacturers must comply with Remote ID by Dec 16, 2022. Don’t blame DJI,  blame an overreaching government that hates its citizens.

Comply with manufacturing with RID ready aircrafts, not to actually start using it
2022-12-14
Use props
Kaiju
lvl.1

United States

Okay, I'm flying again with the latest firmware. Here was my (and perhaps your) situation:
I have a Samsung Galaxy A10e phone which will download but not install DJI Fly. It is 32 bit and the app is 64. Grounded! (You can check to see if your phone is 64  bit with Google Play 64 Bit-Check)
I have an iPod 7 Touch which will install Fly but has no GPS. Still grounded! Purchased a Dual Electronics XGPS150A bluetooth GPS receiver. Cha-ching! Off we go into the wild blue yonder...!
Of course,now I look like I got hit in the face with a plate of spaghetti with all the wires hanging down but here is a cool pack to put your googles battery, phone, cords, etc. The drink holder is a great spot for the motion controller, too.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HB9VSYO?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
This could have been handled so much better by DJI and I suspect we can see a second version of the goggles coming soon to address this issue going forward. Maybe they will let their original purchasers trade straight across?
2022-12-14
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Second Version of Goggle 2? Instead a new $1,000 DJI Goggle with GPS (GPS modules can cost from $10 to $35) how about a new Firmware using Aircraft GPS and use the coordinates from Goggle when Home Point Updated is recorded and use as pilot location?

The DIY after market drones, the RIF module will be in the aircraft, not on controller or goggles
2022-12-14
Use props
Kaiju
lvl.1

United States

HDPS Posted at 12-14 20:00
Second Version of Goggle 2? Instead a new $1,000 DJI Goggle with GPS (GPS modules can cost from $10 to $35) how about a new Firmware using Aircraft GPS and use the coordinates from Goggle when Home Point Updated is recorded and use as pilot location?

The DIY after market drones, the RIF module will be in the aircraft, not on controller or goggles

Like it
2022-12-14
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

HDPS Posted at 12-14 20:00

The DIY after market drones, the RIF module will be in the aircraft, not on controller or goggles

awsome idea!
2022-12-14
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

HDPS Posted at 12-13 13:59
I called twice for other issues and will not bother again to call, waste of time...literally I had more knowledge about the problems than the guy on the other side of the phone.....when they pause to answer, they don't know anything about it and start looking at their answers list.

Hi there, we are sorry for the inconvenience. I sent you a PM to check more details, please have a look.
2022-12-15
Use props
FPVTrendz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1241020 ft
United States

It's not all bad, look at my tests on the other features:

2022-12-15
Use props
rotor-head.com
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10823 ft
  • >>>
United States

I wish I didn't have to plug in my phone..  It was so nice when you could just fly without extra cables coming out of your head.  I wonder if there is an alternate solution to this.  But I am happy to in order to get the 10bit color space.
2022-12-15
Use props
HDPS
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Tumble Fix? will wait quite a few reviews on this topic before switching to Manual....
2022-12-15
Use props
CappyA330
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 12-15 03:47
Hi there, we are sorry for the inconvenience. We've confirmed with the corresponding team that to comply with the RID request of FAA, after the new firmware, it needs to connect the DJI Avata to the DJI Fly app and access the Internet for verification every time power on the Avata to fly. I also sent you a PM, please have a look.

Please stop telling people that internet access from the DJI Fly app is required to fly Avata with RID. This is NOT true. For RID to function on Avata all that is required is the DJI Fly app to have GPS access on iPhone/iPad. Internet is NOT required and many of your users have confirmed this.
2022-12-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

CappyA330 Posted at 12-15 18:21
Please stop telling people that internet access from the DJI Fly app is required to fly Avata with RID. This is NOT true. For RID to function on Avata all that is required is the DJI Fly app to have GPS access on iPhone/iPad. Internet is NOT required and many of your users have confirmed this.

Hi there, we are sorry for the confusion caused. I've edited the post. We've double check with our engineer that before flying in the current area, you are advised to connect your mobile phone and ensure that GPS signal is normal. It's no need to connect to the Internet. If you do not connect your mobile phone, you will not be able to take off. Please connect it before using the aircraft. Thank you for your understanding.
2022-12-15
Use props
djiuser_KMunwJn3wzMP
lvl.1
Flight distance : 119938 ft
  • >>>
United States

This morning's test.

Turned on controller, turned on Avata, put my iPhone in airplane mode (DJI Fly App not running), Plugged the goggles 2 (not goggles v2) into the iPhone.
At this point I was getting the RED framed "Remote ID error," and I was unable to start the motors on the Avata.
I waited about a minute then launched the DJI Fly App. About 2 seconds later the error went away. Side note, with the iPhone in Airplane mode, the DJI Fly app shows the message "FlySafe requires update"
Minimizing the App caused the error to return, going back into the App, the error once again goes away. Locking the iPhone caused the same results as minimizing the App.
Next I launched the Avata to about 10 feet and then disconnected the iPhone from the goggles. Instead of a red framed "Remote ID error," it was and amber framed "Remote ID error," but the Avata remained flying and I was able to move it around.

This whole remote id and how there's no exception for FPV drones is crazy.  I would much rather be limited in altitude then have to deal with all this extra crap! Pretty sure I'm not going to any cause any aeronautical safety issues while weaving my way around trees and other obstacles.  Another "one size fits all" colossal f-up when the government gets involved where it shouldn't.
2022-12-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

mletoile Posted at 12-13 19:22
What about flying inside with limited and/or no GPS signal? In this kind of situation can we be able to fly?

Hi, Mletoile. Thank you for joining the thread. Based on the Remote ID rule/compliance, when the aircraft fails to obtain the pilot or remote controller’s position, the aircraft will be unable to take off. We're sorry for the inconvenience.
2022-12-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Kaiju Posted at 12-14 04:18
The frustrating part of all of this is that when I was considering purchasing the Avata there was no mention of a phone connection being a necessity for flight. It was presented as another way to activate, link, share video, etc. I have a non-compatible smart phone but was able to use DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drones Series) to get in the air and do updates. I was able to download Fly to my iPod but since it does not have GPS I was forced to buy a remote bluetooth GPS receiver which now allows me to use my iPod to satisfy the new requirement. I will guess that there are a lot of other owners that find themselves in a similar situation that are faced with the need to buy a new phone. A hefty added expense on top of an already hefty initial outlay for the drone. A heads-up on this would have been helpful in DJI's advertising.
I understand the need for the FAA to know what is in the air, especially in congested areas. We are putting thousands of UAS into an already crowded sky and the people at the controls in most cases have very limited experience and little or no training. It just seems to me that all of the equipment required to fly the drone should be incorporated into the flight system. When you buy a car you do not have to purchase the keys from a third party.

Hi, Kaiju. We apologize if you were forced to buy a remote BlueTooth GPS receiver. We understand where you're coming from. Law updates are inevitable and DJI has to comply with them and make a way to be able to let our customers to still fly their drones. We're hoping for your kind understanding and thank you for your support.
2022-12-17
Use props
ro_walker
First Officer
Brazil

You do not need internet. I run the DJI Fly app on iPhone in Airplane mode.
2022-12-17
Use props
SirStabbs
lvl.1
Flight distance : 218799 ft
United States

DJI reps will always give you a Legally correct answer. Because it is part of their job to make sure people are following FAA rules. but it doesnt mean its the only way to do it. Download the DJI Fly App on a spare phone/tablet of your choice so long as it supports it. phone or tablet does NOT need to be connected to the internet or any mobile data. as long as it has its own GPS module. (which pretty much all handheld device has GPS module now a days). Connect your goggles to the DJI Fly App, let it recognize the GPS, take off, let it hover, unplug the goggles from the phone/tablet, and fly away. Yes there will be a "RID error" showing on the screen, but you can still fly normally. but if you do land/crash, you have to connect to the phone/tablet again to take off.
2022-12-18
Use props
BadBert
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59121 ft
Netherlands

djiuser_KMunwJn3wzMP Posted at 12-16 13:38
This morning's test.

Turned on controller, turned on Avata, put my iPhone in airplane mode (DJI Fly App not running), Plugged the goggles 2 (not goggles v2) into the iPhone.

wait.... locking the phone will give you the error??
So the phone must stay unlocked, in your pocket???? Not good....

i hope this restriction does not come to the EU!!!
I have a samsung Z flip 3, so the screen is flexible (folding phone). I do NOT want to put this in my pocket while opened.... this wil damage my screen!!!! (and according to the user manual of the phone, samsung strongly advises against this).
But when i fold my phone (eg, close is), it locks........
2022-12-18
Use props
CappyA330
lvl.4
United States

SirStabbs Posted at 12-18 16:32
DJI reps will always give you a Legally correct answer. Because it is part of their job to make sure people are following FAA rules. but it doesnt mean its the only way to do it. Download the DJI Fly App on a spare phone/tablet of your choice so long as it supports it. phone or tablet does NOT need to be connected to the internet or any mobile data. as long as it has its own GPS module. (which pretty much all handheld device has GPS module now a days). Connect your goggles to the DJI Fly App, let it recognize the GPS, take off, let it hover, unplug the goggles from the phone/tablet, and fly away. Yes there will be a "RID error" showing on the screen, but you can still fly normally. but if you do land/crash, you have to connect to the phone/tablet again to take off.

After trying to fly multiple times with a phone plugged in, I gave up. I rolled the Avata back to the non-Fascist firmware. I get a mismatched firmware caution message, but fly without a stupid phone plugged into my head. Bite me, feds. If anyone wants to roll back, it’s fairly easy - just do a internet search.
2022-12-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules