Piloting Technique
943 7 2022-12-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mac3
lvl.2
United States

I am interested in advice on Piloting style.  Lets say that my drone is hovering after take off and the camera is facing forward (0 degrees) and I want to fy to a spot that is 45 degrees from the drone orientation.
I coud:
A. position my right joystick at 45 degrees and the drone will follow the deisred bearing albeit "crabbing."
B. I can position my forward joytick , well forward and my other joystick for rotate 45 degrees and accomplish the same thing with the exception of camera orientation.  

What  is the prefered technique? While learning to pilot and building "muscle memory" , I might a well use a preferred method.  

2022-12-13
Use props
Mobilehomer
First Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

This might sound trite, but whatever works and feels best for you.
2022-12-13
Use props
Ssayer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 629482 ft
United States

Mobilehomer Posted at 12-13 14:16
This might sound trite, but whatever works and feels best for you.

Agreed. For me, it depends on what I've set out to do at the time. OTOH, if I'm just flitting about, then who knows what/how I'm going to do it (certainly not me!).
2022-12-13
Use props
LV_Forestry
First Officer
Flight distance : 4726654 ft
Latvia

If you are in the learning phase, there are a few exercises you can do.

1st exercise, (PITCH & ROLL) In a open space, you take off the drone with the camera oriented in the same direction as your are watching. The commands will be in the correct direction. You practice describing a rectangular pattern, without changing the direction of the drone.

2nd exercise, (YAW) Still in open space, you will now redo the same rectangular pattern but this time always orienting the camera of the drone in the direction of flight. For that you will have to use the yaw axis. At each angle you stop the drone, you make it turn with yaw, then you start again.
Ex2.jpg
3rd exercise, You will combine Yaw pitch and Roll in order to perform the rectangular pattern without stopping the drone.

4th exercise, You redo the two previous ones but this time by describing a figure eight instead of the rectangle. The two loops must be of identical dimensions.
Ex3.jpg

5th exercise, (FPV) You will place an object in the middle of the open space. The goal is to center the object with the camera and to go around it while maintaining the distance. Get into the habit of not staying focused on your screen, perform a drone/screen circuit in order to always have an eye on the drone and its environment. Already because it is provided for by law, and above all it will save you from going to look for it in a tree.
Ex4.jpg

When you master this you will no longer ask yourself the question of how to go to 45 degrees. It will become a reflex.
The overall objective is to feel comfortable in your piloting and to control your trajectories.

2022-12-13
Use props
mac3
lvl.2
United States

LV_Forestry Posted at 12-13 15:35
If you are in the learning phase, there are a few exercises you can do.

1st exercise, (PITCH & ROLL) In a open space, you take off the drone with the camera oriented in the same direction as your are watching. The commands will be in the correct direction. You practice describing a rectangular pattern, without changing the direction of the drone.

Thank you, LV_Forestry!
2022-12-13
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

If flying manually, take whatever route you feel like,
2022-12-13
Use props
mac3
lvl.2
United States

Well, I guess I need to use the technique that makes sense for the mission.  For shooting a video of a runner by "running" parallel and with the runner, I am choosing the point the camera perpendicular to the flight path and use the move right/left joystick positioning to effect a flight path.

My original post was in reference to using the screen in a FPV type situation.  Basically , the camera view is "line of sight" with the direction of the drone.  Then , in that case , I would think that Forward motion stick in conjunction with the rotate stick would be the proper piloting technique.  I realize that several stick arrangements can be assigned to the controls but changing makes my head hurt.  

To me , it is a choice of do I want the camera view to be the flight path or at an angle to the flight path.
2022-12-14
Use props
RustyAu
New
Australia

Excellent advice LV_Forestry.
2022-12-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules