Mavic 2 Zoom - Gimbal Motor Overloaded
2624 4 2022-12-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FKN_Nasty
lvl.1
Flight distance : 512 ft

New Zealand

Welcome to my story of Gimbal Motor Overload.

Around 4 months ago I starting getting the dreaded GMO pop up while flying my Mavic 2 Zoom. The camera wouldn't stabilize and thought that's not ideal, packed it away and decided to sort it at a later date. Couple of weeks later I took it out for a fly and after a minute up pops the Gimbal Motor Overloaded message.

Fast forward a few months, I purchased a replacement Gimbal YR Axis Arm/Motor Assembly. Installed this yesterday and now have an issue where the gimbal will not center itself when after turning on. If I give it a few flicks it seems to right itself. If I run the python JointCoarse calibration if starts and finishes without issue and centers the gimbal. If I run the LinearHall calibration it starts and then sh#ts itself after a couple of seconds and doesn't finish.

Very strange....

I also still have the Gimbal Motor Overload error. I'm now running through a list of what else could possibly be causing the issues/fixes
  • Pitch motor, this is the only motor in the gimbal assembly that hasn't been replaced
  • Gimbal board, could be malfunctioning and causing the issues
  • Take the hit and get a complete gimbal module replacement
  • Whole things fucked, take it out back and shoot it like the dog it is

There's a link to a quick video below showing the gimbal dance upon start up. If anyone has any pearls of wisdom I'd be more than happy to hear them.

2022-12-16
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, FKN_Nasty. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to read about what happened to your Mavic 2 Zoom. Below are some troubleshooting steps that might help you solve this issue:

1. If this issue only occurs in Sport mode:
The aircraft’s attitude angle of inclination in Sport mode is larger than that in other modes. When the stick is pushed to an extent that the aircraft movement angle exceeds the adjustment limit of the gimbal, it might cause the gimbal motor to overload. This is normal. Please push the stick more gently.
2. If the issue occurs in non-Sport modes:
1) Please check whether an additional accessory (such as a filter) is mounted on the gimbal and camera.
If there is an additional accessory, attach the original lens to the gimbal and camera. Check whether the issue has been solved.  If there is no additional accessory, please skip this step.
2) Ensure that there is no additional accessory attached to the gimbal and camera. Please perform [Gimbal Auto Calibration] in [Gimbal Settings] of the app.
3) If this issue persists after calibration, please connect the aircraft to DJI Assistant 2 to refresh the firmware.
Download Link: https://www.dji.com/downloads/products/mavic-2

If the issue persists after the methods above have been used, please consider sending the unit in for a proper diagnosis. You may submit an online repair request through this link: {https://repair.dji.com/repair/index}. If you need assistance with creating a ticket, you may contact DJI support at https://www.dji.com/support. We understand that this is not the answer that you look forward to, but this would be the best thing to do in this situation. Your kind understanding is appreciated and thank you for your continued support.
2022-12-17
Use props
FKN_Nasty
lvl.1
Flight distance : 512 ft

New Zealand

DJI Gamora Posted at 12-17 01:22
Hi, FKN_Nasty. Thank you for reaching out and we're sorry to read about what happened to your Mavic 2 Zoom. Below are some troubleshooting steps that might help you solve this issue:

1. If this issue only occurs in Sport mode:

It's odd because the issue seemed to appear after I put it into sports mode for the first time. I hadn't put it into sports mode previously as I'm a bit of a novice at flying. The next time I flew the drone is when the issued started to appear. Probably just a coincidence though.

I don't have any additional accessories mounted to the gimbal and camera. The original lens is on the camera.

The gimbal auto calibration is sporadically appearing the DJI Go app. Once the gimbal is stabilised (as per the video link), the settings will then appear in the app. Prior to that it doesn't register the gimbal.

I'm in New Zealand and if I try to raise a repair ticket tells me that the area is not serviced, hence why I've tried to remedy this myself.
2022-12-17
Use props
TonyPHX
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 11229610 ft
  • >>>
United States

You already did more than many can by replacing by your own gimbal.  : )  Sounds like you may want to bite the bullet and send it in.
2022-12-17
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

FKN_Nasty Posted at 12-17 13:08
It's odd because the issue seemed to appear after I put it into sports mode for the first time. I hadn't put it into sports mode previously as I'm a bit of a novice at flying. The next time I flew the drone is when the issued started to appear. Probably just a coincidence though.

I don't have any additional accessories mounted to the gimbal and camera. The original lens is on the camera.

Hi, FKN_Nasty. Thank you for the update. We're sorry for the inconvenience, as per checking, the DJI support website is temporarily unavailable due to a system update. In the meantime, you may contact DJI support at https://www.dji.com/support, they will be more than happy to help you create a ticket. Your kind understanding is appreciated and thank you for your continued support.
2022-12-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules