IPAD etc
1577 17 2015-8-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mrpap
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Can someone suggest what to buy. Looking at P3 Advance and i see it uses Lightbridge communications
I,m a windows guy so can you tell me do all ipads android phones offer Lightbridge
2015-8-16
Use props
airobotix
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357310 ft
United Kingdom

Use an iPad, mini or Air
2015-8-16
Use props
CapitAn
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

There's a list of compatible devices on the DJI site. l use an ipad 2 mini and find it to be perfect, Lightbridge is amazing and l'm having no lag or overheating issues.
The new DJI GO app is available for both Android and iOS, but last l heard the iOS version didn't yet support the Phantom 3 Standard, l'm not sure if that's updated now.
l strongly suggest to watch as many set-up videos as you can so you get a feel for the differences, pros, and cons between the models and different devices.
Welcome aboard, and happy flying.
2015-8-16
Use props
Skygod14
lvl.2

United Kingdom

iPad mini is just the right size. I have found that with a full iPad, the device holder screw on the handset comes loose making the devices holder wobble. also if you are getting an iPad then make sure it is iPad mini 2 or upwards.
2015-8-16
Use props
caiken9621
lvl.2
Flight distance : 499793 ft
United States

The lightbridge link is between the P3 and the controller.  It's a USB connection to the Android or IOS device.  I use the iPad Mini 3 for display size but do also have a Samsung Galaxy S5 I could have used.  There are rumors about the next generation of iPad.  If I was doing it today knowing what I know I would have found a good used iPad Air or Mini, and/or used my Android device, and waited on the next gen iPad to buy new.  If you go for iPad Air 1 or 2, or iPad Mini 2 or 3, keep in mind that the WIFI only versions do not have GPS in them, if you want or need it.  I mistakenly made an assumption that if the older iPad wifi only models had GPS, the newer ones must also.  Fortunately I did purchase the wifi + cellular model but not because I did my homework.  I found out later after making an incorrect comment on one of the forums.
2015-8-16
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

I can tell you : no smartphone or tablet on earth offer lightbridge
2015-8-16
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

caiken9621 Posted at 2015-8-17 00:04
The lightbridge link is between the P3 and the controller.  It's a USB connection to the Android or  ...

If you plan on flying at a few different location in secession, you can cache your maps in the app and won't have issues without the iPad gps.

The Phantom is going to register it's location to your tablet via it's link and built in gps.

Don't know if the Android version has all of the features that the IOS version did or does like when playing back a flight the ability to see the control stick movements.
2015-8-16
Use props
Mrpap
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I,m a bit confused, why would i need gps on the ipad?
Understand now the lightbridge is a dji standard controller/p3.
Shame all my devices are windows!
2015-8-16
Use props
apsphoto
lvl.2

United States

I have an air2 works great. Fewer features on the android versions. You don't need gps, you can precache the maps on the ipad. I am a windows and android person but got an ipad just for the drone. I like the larger screen on the air2, I am interested in photography and making videos, so I don't want to waste a shot because of a tiny screen. Well worth it to me. The connection from any tablet/phone to the controller is usb.

Alan
2015-8-16
Use props
gregg1r
lvl.4

United States

Mrpap Posted at 2015-8-17 06:03
I,m a bit confused, why would i need gps on the ipad?
Understand now the lightbridge is a dji standa ...

The gps on the iPad is for supplying maps of where you are flying. If you cache the map in advance the Phantom will register on your cached map where you were flying so that you can see the location and direction of flight.

Light Bridge is DJI's terminology for providing a first person view of your flying. Without Light Bridge, you would only be able to fly your Phantom line of sight.

The IOS version of the Pilot app when you play back your flight record will also display your control levers and what the percentage of stick movement was being used. This helps when attempting to figure out what you've done something wrong.

For me, I despise any Google and couldn't bring myself to use an Android based tablet. I do use an iPhone, so there was no learning curve for the tablet operation. With the Apple world, since they control the IOS and the hardware, there are less conflicts unlike the multiple manufacturers of Android based hardware and the various versions of software.
2015-8-16
Use props
dmoerman
lvl.1

United States

Based on many comments here and there, I decided to get a ipad2 to control my phantom 3.  I have never had any apple product before so don't know much about them, but it seemed pretty clear from the comments here and in the dji literature that the phantom was "optimized"for apple products. But all of a sudden, I'm not even sure I have the right equipment to attach said iPad to the phantom controller.  It apparently doesn't have a usb port.  Is that right?  Do I need to buy a special cable to attach an iPod to the phantom controller?? What have I gotten myself into here?
2015-8-25
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8139875 ft
United States

lightbridge is used to between p3 and rc. imo, ios devices and ipad air2
2015-8-25
Use props
Mrpap
lvl.1

Czechia

dmoerman Posted at 2015-8-26 01:29
Based on many comments here and there, I decided to get a ipad2 to control my phantom 3.  I have nev ...

I think Apple uses the Lightning connector rather than usb?
2015-8-26
Use props
Stealth...
lvl.2

Montenegro

dmoerman Posted at 2015-8-26 01:29
Based on many comments here and there, I decided to get a ipad2 to control my phantom 3.  I have nev ...

I own a P3A and also use the iPad air 2 wifi/cell. You can use the original Apple lightning cable which came with your iPad air 2.
2015-8-26
Use props
Bartone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53458 ft
United States

I'm very happy with the iPad Air. I use the cable that came with it - easy attachment, if a bit long. You'll love the iPad, trust me. I've made a cardboard hood, now I'm hoping to find an anti-reflective screen - anyone?
2015-8-26
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

Bartone Posted at 2015-8-27 12:23
I'm very happy with the iPad Air. I use the cable that came with it - easy attachment, if a bit long ...

look on amazon, there are a few that im going to try for my iphone, at the moment i use a modified shebox to be able to see anything in bright sun light, sometimes i am forced to drape something over my head!! and thats no joke
2015-8-26
Use props
rayrokni
Second Officer
United States

dmoerman Posted at 2015-8-26 07:29

relax, your ipad air2 will come with a lightning cable that you will use to connect to your rc! if i were you i would also purchase the inspire 1 device holder. it is made of aluminum and helps a great deal so your big screen tv (LOL) does not wobble too much. I got one for mine as i found many people recommending it. i was a bit doubtful at first but once i installed it, i have noticed a great improvement.
good luck
2015-8-26
Use props
Bartone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 53458 ft
United States

When I sold my 8x10 cameras, I should've kept my focusing cloth - it'd be perfect, except for LOS, of course.
2015-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules